Status: 9/22/12- Character Tab Updated!

What You Work For

It All Started With the Boys...

“I can’t go out there like this!” I complained to Natalie as I tugged on my t-shirt and shorts.

“Oh, you shut up,” she rolled her eyes. “They’re your teammates, meaning they will see you at your best and at your worst. Get used to it, cupcake.”

I frowned at how right she was. But either way, I didn’t want to meet the Pittsburgh Penguins looking like I was a slob.

“Ah!” Dan’s voice smiled as I walked through the door. “The woman of the hour-er-season!”

I blushed. “Hi, guys. It’s nice to finally meet you all.”

Sidney stood up from his seat and extended his hand. “I’m Sidney. Welcome to the team, Olivia.”

“Ollie, please,” I said taking his hand and shaking it. “And thank you.”

Introductions were made and I tried to keep from fan-girling too bad. Jordan had to be the funniest by picking me up and using his eleven inches over me to his advantage.

“Don’t scare her, Staal!” Mario laughed.

I laughed and waved the tall blonde away. “Don’t worry about it. I’ve dealt with guys scarier than him.”

“Oh really?” Jordan asked.

I nodded. “Hmhmm. My fiancé’s in the army and some of his friends are pretty intimidating. Speaking of which,” I pulled out my phone. “Do you think we could get a picture with everyone? He asked me to email him one.”

I handed my iPhone to Natalie and the boys, Mario, and Dan all crowded around to take the photo. I was squished between Geno and James, but I couldn’t have been happier. This was my new family.

“So,” Mario said after the picture was taken. “Welcome back party as usual tomorrow night. Nathalie’s excited to see you all. Three o’clock start and you’re welcome to stay as long as you like. Bring a guest if you want.”

Talking began around the room about the festivities and I didn’t want to interrupt. I was thinking about how I had no clue where Mario Lemieux lived and I was much too shy to ask.

“I’ll text you the address,” Sidney offered quietly. “I’m assuming you don’t know.”

I smiled gratefully. “Please and thank you.”

*****

I left that day to shouts of laughter and promises to hound me through texts until I arrived at the party the next day. As annoying as the boys were, I felt loved.

“So you met them?” Lucy asked on the way home. I had called her as soon as I was in the car and had my Bluetooth in my ear.

“Yes!” I giggled. “It was insane! And amazing! And everything we thought it would be!”

“That’s awesome!” she sighed. “I wish I could have been there.” Lucy had returned to Penn State the week before and had been distraught over the fact that she wouldn’t be able to meet the team until her first Friday off from classes.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’ll make sure to get a picture of Geno just for you.”

My sister laughed. “Well I know what my new wallpaper’s going to be!”

“Oh!” I remembered. “And I got a sponsorship-with Nike.”

“No way! That’s so cool!” Lucy exclaimed. “You can get me free swag now!”

I laughed. “Always looking out for yourself, eh Luce?”

“Of course,” I could tell she was smiling. “But ‘eh’? What are you, Canadian?”

“Well, I am playing with a team almost entirely made up of Canadians.”

“Just don’t start drinking Tim Horton’s and we’ll be okay,” Lucy said. “But I gotta go. The roomie’s calling me to go to dinner. Talk to you soon, Ollie?”

“Sooner, Luce,” I smiled at our traditional goodbye. “Toodle-loos!”

“Toodle-loos!”

*****

I tossed and turned all night, nervous for what the next afternoon would bring. In the end, I got up and wandered into the kitchen. Hopefully, I would find someone awake.

Leave it to my dad to be awake at nearly midnight on a Monday night. He looked up from the table when he heard my footsteps.

“Hi, sweetheart,” he said groggily. “Couldn’t sleep?”

I nodded. “You know me.”

“Take a seat,” he patted the chair next to him. “Take a load off.”

I settled myself onto the wooden chair and leaned my head on my dad’s shoulder.

“What’s keeping you awake, Ice Princess?” he used my childhood nickname.

I grimaced. “Don’t call me that. And I don’t know.”

“Yeah, sure,” my dad rolled his eyes. “What’s up, Ollie?”

“The party tomorrow,” I admitted as I buried my face in his neck and scratching my skin on his stubble. “It’s like fucking high school all over again.”

He chuckled lightly and kissed my head. “What’s got you worried about the party?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “It’s so different, you know? I mean, the guys are great. They’re all really nice and funny, but I’m just terrified that they’re only keeping that façade up with me around and it’s not how they really feel about me. Before, I knew what people thought of me. My teams were behind me 100%, even if they were more afraid of my brothers than anything else. Now, I’m not sure of anything.”

He patted my knee. “Everything’ll come out in the end. We knew going into this it wasn’t going to be easy. Hell, you’re mother and I could tell from the moment you played your first game that we were in for trouble. But you’re so strong, Olivia. If you can’t overcome a little more adversity, then I don’t think anyone can.”

I smiled. “Thank you, Daddy.” What can I say? My sister and I were daddy’s girls.

“What are you doing now?” he asked as I stood up and began to dig through the fridge.

“What’s it look like?” I grabbed eggs and milk. “I’m making cookies for tomorrow.”

*****

“Got everything?” my mom asked that afternoon as I picked up my bag and the plate of cookies.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, Mother. I have everything.” She’d been like a mom on her kid’s first day of school all day.

“Just making sure,” she pecked me on the cheek. “Address?”

As if on cue, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Sidney. One message was the address and a second one was a bit longer.

From Sidney- Sorry it took so long. It took me forever to get my phone back from TK and Jordan.

To Sidney- Haha. No worries. Your timing was perfect- my mother was just asking!

“Got to go!” I shouted as I shut the door behind me. I should have known my dad would share my concerns with my mother. Was nothing sacred in that house? I really needed to get serious about finding my own place.

*****

It took me a good half hour of driving to get to the Lemieux residence. Residence wasn’t the right word, I quickly found out. The place was more like a compound.

I knocked on the front door and instantly began to doubt my outfit choice. I was wearing light wash denim shorts, an off the shoulder fuchsia sweatshirt with white graphics, flip-flops, and my hair was natural. Was I underdressed?

“Olivia!” a woman smiled as she opened the door. “Come in, come in! I’m Nathalie.”

I smiled at her and we hugged briefly. “Thank you for having me. I brought these, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Oh, sweetie, you’re part of the team. I would be remiss not to invite you,” she said peeking under the tinfoil. “But if the rest of the boys were like you and brought food, my job would be a lot easier.”

I laughed. “I’ll have to remember that.”

“The boys are all out back. I’ll show you to the door and let you go from there,” Nathalie smiled and ushered me through several rooms.

“Just out there,” she pointed towards a glass door. “Have fun.”

“Thanks,” I said trying to keep the uncertainty out of my voice.

Here goes nothing.’
♠ ♠ ♠
This got really long and originally, I was including the party in this chapter. However, it would have been nearly 20 pages on Word. I decided to split it and will post the 2nd part sometime tomorrow night, homework level permitting. If you read Live In Reality, you'll know I recently came up with the idea for yet another story. This one will be Max centered. I'll leave a link to the summary page below and I would love it if you'd check it out. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

P.S. I won't lie, the summary page is a little cryptic, hehe.

Little Voices in the Rain