This

Neuf

"I hate them," Vivian said decidedly the next day. The girls had finished their sound check, and One Direction was in the stadium now. "I know I've said that before, but I really, honestly hate them now. First the things that little shit said about Rosie, then the fact that I had to endure hours on their bus while most of them devised torture methods, and now Sam's gran's necklace." The redhead narrowed her eyes and clenched her jaw when the image of her friend's broken expression as they'd all watched the necklace fall.

"I know, Viv," Cassy said softly. "I know. We all do."

The pair was sitting in lawn chairs outside of the Audacious Amour bus - hidden from view - while their bandmates rested in the bunks. The spoken reason was that they wanted to get some sun and air after having been cooped up on the bus all night, but, in truth, Viv just needed to get Cassy alone.

"I think... I think it's time to play dirty, Cass."

Her companion looked at her suspiciously. "Weren't we already playing dirty?"

"No. I mean, yes, but no. I mean, oiling the stage was brilliant, and the mic trick was hysterical, but they need to really suffer." She turned to the girl suddenly, seafoam eyes serious as they gazed at the other girl over her shades. "I'm coming to you with this because you're the best troublemaker I know, and because I don't want to bring everyone into it until I know that management won't blow a total gasket." The other girl nodded. "Up until now it's been big and bold, but I want these boys to lose sleep at night. I want them to be afraid. Shakespeare once said that suspicion always haunts a guilty mind, and we're going to be these boys' ghosts."

Cassy was grinning maliciously, and Viv returned it as she laid out her plan.

Image


The five boys of One Direction were both pleased and suspicious that sound check had gone off without a hitch. They had sent someone ahead of them to be sure the stage itself was clean and clear, but - though none of them would admit it - they spent the sound check much more alert than usual. Whenever the focus was on only one boy, the others glanced around to be sure they wouldn't be caught unaware. Even Liam and Niall - the two most wholeheartedly against the entire state of affairs - were on their toes; they knew they weren't safe.

"Well, that's that, then," Louis said offhandedly as they exited the stage. "Looks like they aren't so 'audacious' after all."

"They won't give up so easily, Lou. That Cassy girl seemed right serious last night."

The older boy "humphed" irritably, and Zayn frowned.

"You don't have to like it, Louis, but Niall has a point. They're furious, and they'll be trying to get back at us - especially you, Haz, so take note." He held up his hand when Harry started to object. "It's true, and you know it. We'll just have to be better than them."

"Well, that's easy," Harry said snidely. "We already are."

It was an hour later when he saw her on the side of the stage. The stadium was going to open soon, but she seemed utterly entranced by the instrument before her. He had been standing by the door for several minutes before he spoke.

"I'd be careful, wandering off alone. Your bus might leave, and we'll not take you a second time. Though, I've got to say, that's the first time a tour mate has tried to steal one of my shirts. Could it be you're a closet Directioner?"

Vivian jumped, but she schooled her face quickly to sneer at him. "First, I was loathe to touch any of your shirts, though it might be worth it if I could find a witch doctor while we're on tour. Second, only in your wildest dreams. And finally - didn't your mother ever teach you that it's inappropriate to spy, Zayn?"

"I'm not spying; I'm evaluating," he responded easily, ignoring the first part of her response.

Vivian cocked an eyebrow and crossed the room to where the dark boy stood. "Oh, really?" she said softly, breathily. "And what are your findings?"

Her proximity threw him off guard, and for a moment he had trouble speaking. "If I told you," he said at last, "I might be giving something away."

"Why, Zayn! You almost make it sound as if I'm a threat!"

"Aren't you?" he replied without thinking. Idiot. Don't let her know that they're getting under your skin.

"Little old me? Surely not." Viv laughed, and it confused Zayn even more. In the time it took to draw breath, Vivian had straightened her face again. "Let me make sure Cass found her picks," she said calmly, walking toward the green room. Zayn just stared after her, brain trying to make sense of what had just happened. Finally, without another word, he passed her and made his way out of the stadium. He waved at the fans as they peered from the gates, but his smile vanished once he got to the bus.

"Absolutely mental, that one."

Image


On the stage, Vivian waited until she was sure that Zayn wouldn't be returning before she crossed back through from the green room, quickly finding the door she was looking for. Cass was leaving the room as Viv walked up.

"Done?"

"Done."

"Perfect," Vivian said with a smirk as they walked away. The paper on the door behind them read One Direction in bold block letters. "They do so like to be on the cutting edge of fashion," she said in a tone dripping with concern.

"Absolutely. It's so nice to be able to assist them," Cassy said agreeably.

Vivian felt the thrill of anticipation, but she did not smile as they left. Small steps, she reminded herself. Little things, that'll do it. She and Cass had discussed everything in length when they'd made their way from the bus to the stage earlier in the day. Little details, things they wouldn't notice in the rush to get changed, but that would be all too apparent under the lights. Small, petty, but they would never pin it on Audacious Amour. They would suspect - and rightly so - but there would be no support for their claims. One Direction had been on the stage, after all, and everything had been fine during sound check. Vivian had deliberately stayed out of the room, partially to scout, and partially so that there was an alibi.

"And how did things go on your end?" the other girl said carefully.

"Easier than I thought," Viv answered. She rolled her eyes remembering how he'd stuttered. "Like taking candy from a baby."

"Let the haunting begin."

The pair shared a look, one that said any number of things, before stepping out into the sunlight. Their fans waited for them, and cheers erupted on sight. The girls smiled back and waved. With a brief gesture to Cassidy, Vivian walked over to the gate, remembering, as she did, why she loved what she got to do.

This was their tour, and sooner or later, One Direction would learn that.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the wait, loves. Things have been crazy! I apologize for the quality. -cringe-