‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Timber

I stood in the Grand Hall, staring into the darkness. A wall of oily blackness crept forward whispering dark thoughts, evil plans, murder. I pressed myself into the throne trying to hide from the darkness. It came to me, promising me my deepest wish, my darkest desire. I closed my eyes and curled into a tight ball, hoping it was all in my mind.

I cringed as the oily wisps enfolded me trying to force me into the darkness. Everywhere it touched me, it drained my energy. Reluctantly I fell towards the dark, until it released me in rage as light flowed over me. I gasped at the sensation of freedom.

The light beamed from the open door at the end of the grand hall. The light, shined with an iridescent scheme, almost as if the dust particles were glitter falling like snow. The oily mass shrieked in pain at every attempt to reclaim me. The heavenly light was keeping it at bay, but for how long?

I stumbled out of the cold stone throne and sprinted down the hallway, with the black cloud following, hoping I would miss a step and cross the line into the shadows. Fortunately for me, my feet stayed true and glided me towards the pure white square. I passed through the doorway, covering my eyes from the blinding light. I blinked several times, trying to adjust my surrounds, realizing that I was lying down.

The room was stark white, and empty except for the one beeping machine. As my eyes adjusted I noticed a small table under a window. On top of it was a Bonsai Tree in a brunt orange ceramic pot. The branches were full of tiny mint green leaves and heavy with miniature apples.

I groaned as the door squeaked open, causing my brain to twitch, making me wince. “Judith!” Kai shouted, slamming the door behind her, making me jump in surprise. “You’re alive! For a second I thought I was going too left alone with the royally board. ” She jumped on the bed pushing the hair from my face. “You look way better. You know, you were as white as eggs two days ago.” My head spun as she kept blabbering away.

“Kai, Kai! KAI!” She abruptly stopped spewing words. When she remanded quite I continued. “How long have I been out?” I gripped the bed rails, pushing myself up. I trembled as my muscles resisted my command.

“Almost a week in a half.” I slouched in shock. I couldn’t believe that. The last thing I remembered was throwing the remote at the wall and- I slowly turned to look at the tiny tree… A tree walker? . “Yeah you were poisoned. After extracting the poison they recognized it to be a lethal dose of muriatic acid. We don’t know-”

“Wait, muriatic acid? Isn’t that stomach acid?” I asked Kai, cutting off her rambling. She nodded opening her mouth. “Why would someone do that? Out of all ways to kill me?” I shook my head, it was really lame.

“Well if you would let me get a word in edge wise. Stomach acid, also known as muriatic acid, is used to accelerate the rusting metal. So someone-”

“Was trying to rust me alive, because of my metal magic.” Kai slapped my arm. I gave her a startled look. “What?”

“I was going to say that,” she pouted.

I chucked, “Sorry. I guess great minds think alike.” We sat there in comfortable silence. It was nice to have another human around.

“You know what was odd about the whole thing?” I shook my head. “The acid should’ve killed you, but when they got to you most of it was out of your system.” I tensed giving a glancing look at the tree. Did it help me? “But you should’ve seen it, Cortez was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. He was so worry about you and the baby. It was quite sweet,” Kai gushed.

“So I take it I will be under house arrested forever now?” Kai nodded her head up and down like a yo-yo.

“Hell yeah. But once Leila finds the person responsible, you will be able to roam the estate.”
Kai got up and disappeared into a doorway I overlooked.

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“Leila started an investigation; she is going to find the bastard that did this to you.” I smiled; Leila always knew how to care of her own. Kai walked in with a glass of water. I expected her to give it to me but she went over to the tree. I cleared my throat as she poured it. “What about me?”

“Oh sorry the tree looked... AHH!” Kai jumped away from the tree, running over to me she ducked down, using me as cover. We both watched as the tree’s branches held the glass of water at an angle, pouring the rest of it over itself. “You’re seeing this right?” Kai asked in a shaky voice. I nodded unblinkingly.

“It’s about time. Is this how all plants are treated here in the castle?” it said rudely. We stared dumbfounded as the tree set the cup upside down and shifted. I expected the looming tree from my dream, but this time it was six inches tall, if that. It slowly lumbered over the cup, sitting down and crossing its trunks, I mean legs. “WELL?!” it shouted. We both jumped. For it being so small it had a booming voice.

“Umm…I guess,” Kai responded.

“You guess. Human minds are that of a rock,” it said bluntly.

I shook my head, “Your quite rude for a tree, is that why you’re here to mock us?” I said gathering my legs; swinging them over the edge of the bed.

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch. Unfortunately, I’m here to protect your sorry ass,” it said crossing its arms, giving both of us a glare.

“Okay Mr. Protector, what would you like as a name bark breath, or wormy brains?” Kai teased.

“Don’t push me girl. My name is Timber.”