‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Cardom

This is not happening, where did that fox come from. I look at the review mirror and see a handful of brightly color dragons diving down. I quickly shift to reverse and slam on the gas. For a second the front tire just spins, but then the others catch pulling the car onto the road. I shift to first and hit the clutch.

Flying down the windy road, I look into the rearview mirror. Slowly the dragons disappear behind the hillside. They may be fast, but the cars Aaron builds for me are to brag about. I accelerate into the turn only to slam onto my brakes. The tires screech, leaving skid mark, and the seat-belt holds me from hitting the windshield.

Standing in the middle of the road is Phaedra and Leila. Leila slides off of Phaedra and sprints towards me, I roll down my window and wait. The car idles in the breezy day waiting for me to shift and explode into motion.

“Judith, Cortez…” Leila sees only me; she glances at the empty seat in confusion. “Are you all right?” I nod my head solemnly. She stares at me, I stare right back. “Where’s Cortez?” She asks crossing her arms and giving me a suspicious stare.

“Back at the castle,” I say reluctantly. For the last four years I have been stuck in that stuffy place learning how to be a lady and a queen. If I would’ve known Cortez was a prince, he would’ve been off limit. Unfortunately just thinking about him makes my stomach flop and my heart pound that much faster. He gives me a rush no car can ever accomplish. I don’t think I could live without him.

Since he is the blood king he always has guards around him and following him. Lucky for me, I am foreign, so I’m not as important. If they only knew the truth, then they would never let me leave the castle. Since they don’t know and the former king and queen find me inadequate for their son, I have no guards with me. Personally I think they want me to run off the road so Cortez can marry a willing breeder, but that will never happen. I am one of the best drivers around.

“He is preparing for the Birthday ball?” I nod. “Were you working with him?” I shake my head. “Was he off with his royal friends?” I nod. “Oh and you were left with his parents.” I nod slowly. Since I’ve been here I’ve only made one true friend and he is a metal magic user as well. With Leila off dragon training, Sam always in the forge, and Cortez off doing who knows what, I’ve been left with his parents. So when I can sneak away, Aaron and I drive off into town, which is where I met Tommy. The best part of it is that everybody thinks I’m with Cortez.

“They were complaining how I wasn’t pregnant yet, how if I wait much longer they will never have grandchildren, how I should wear what they think is queen like for the Birthday bash, and to top it off Isabella was there.” Leila face darkens with a scowl.

“When will she quite? Cortez choose you,” she growls uncrossing her arms and pacing the pavement. The motion makes Phaedra shift uneasily. She must feel how antsy Leila is.

“Cortez has told her many times that he loves me,” when he thinks I’m not there, “but it’s his parents. They wanted him to marry her even before he became a ward at father’s palace,” I sigh. No matter what I do it seems his parents are right there to knock me down. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make me wear an ugly dress, then put Isabella in a queen’s gown.

“Hey Leila, is everything fine?” I peek out the window to see Mo and Captain Terzian, with a fleet of dragon riders behind them.

“Yeah,” Leila shouts waving at them.

“Well in that case get your butt back on Phaedra and help me whip these rookies in shape, with the Queens permission that is.” Terzian and Leila look at me, I nod my approval. Terzian and the other take off higher in the sky waiting for Leila.

“Sorry, sis, but we will talk later. You should see these rookies. I think they’re the worst we’ve ever had.” She quickly gives me a window hug then bounds off to Phaedra. Phaedra opens her moon and star wings, seconds later the whole fleet is flying back towards the castle.

I watch as they disappear, I sigh then shift into first, then second, third, fourth, then fifth. If I cruise at this speed I will make it to town in under an hour, when normally it would take five hours.

***

I pull into the junk yard and park my Draiz Smoke under the only tree on Tommy’s property. I get out and follow the tingling feeling on my skin. The closer I get to Tommy’s metal magic the more my skin hums. I went around a stack of plumbing pipes, then down an ally of car hoods and cooper scarps when I finally found Tommy.

He was in blue overalls with oil, grease, and rust stains and his brown hair was pulled back out of his face. Holding his hand high, he slowly pieced together a levitating safe. Slowly and patently he reconstructed the safe and sat it down.

“Are you just going to stand or are you going to give me a hug?” I skip to him and give him a huge hug. Now if I never met Cortez and Tommy was fifty years younger, we could’ve been more than friends. But even thinking about it grosses me out. He reminds me to much of my Uncle Mick. He was stern, but loving and supportive.

“Anything I can help with?” I ask pulling away. I slip my shirt off to reveal a wife beater. If I get my top dirty people will wonder where I go in my free time.

“Now Judith, you shouldn’t be here. There are a lot of harmful fumes and liquids, and not to mention sharp and heavy objects. What if something was to happen? I would never forgive myself. Plus isn’t your birthday bash tonight?” He says with concern in his voice.

“I will be careful; I will make sure no harm comes to me. And yes it is, but I couldn’t stay in that place a moment longer. It was overbearing. I just need to relax. Please can I stay for a little while?” I beg giving my best smile.

“Fine, but no heavy lifting, only use your magic. What if something were to happen to…” I cut him off. He was worrying to much.

“I will be fine, Promise.”