‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Who Cares?

I stand before a fifteen tiered petal pink and sky blue frosted cake. Coiled around the bottom eight tiers is a dusky blue dragon spewing pink frosting onto the upper tiers where frilly pink and purple flowers cover every flat surface. On the very top tier are two sticks holding a banner reading 30 to 20 Happy Birthdays! .

The candles are still smoking, as Ella cuts slices of cake. The attendants pluck the plates from her hand, putting lollops of ice cream on them; they then pass them out to the loitering guests. Everybody seems to be in their own world chatting it up with their fellow friends.

I stand at the fringes holding my plate of vanilla with strawberry filing slice. I sniff it and almost gag. Ella deiced after the cake was cooked to make it moist by drenching it in Amaretto. On the top is a pretty pink rose. They got Leila’s part correct; the dragon almost looks like Phaedra. Unfortunately, Ella chose flowers for me, goes to show how much she knows me. A car would’ve worked or maybe a sword through the center. However, since I’m queen I have to have lady like decorations.

“Happy birthday, my lady,” says a passing couple. They walk right pass me and go to talk to one of Cortez’s brothers. I slump wishing I knew more people. I spot Cyrus sniffing around the buffet. I look at my inedible slice of alcoholic cake and an idea pops up.

I whistle lowly making Cyrus whip his head in my directions. I look over my shoulder and at the passing people. When I think the coast is clear I beckon Cyrus with the yummy treat. He comes prancing over. He sits giving me a puppy dog look. I toss the cake and he leaps, swallowing it in one bite. As he licks his chops, I rub his head earning a satisfied growl.

After a while the cake is taken away and Cyrus abandons me to tail the servant pushing the cart away. I hope he doesn’t eat too much he may get tipsy, like some of our guest.

The former king and queen are getting a little too touchy; so much so people are blushing. Some of the Lady and Lords are starting to doze off, while others are dancing like they’re at a club. Leila is telling a dramatic story to three big eyes rookies. They look like little children. Isabella is slowly taking off her jewelry and little articles of her outfit.

I spot Cortez and start to walk towards him but stop. He is talking to his old buddies and they are shamelessly checking out the women. A lump of anger forms in my chest. I won’t nag Cortez but he knows I don’t have any friends here. I know he loves and he is only acting this way because he is drunk, but seriously.

Ever since coming back to Kopalnia, he has started to revert back to Kopalnia ways. Here they ignore their women most of the time, unless your lucky enough to become a guard. If a women becomes a guard she is praised and honored. It's actually pretty messed up. Other than that exception, the men usually are off doing important business, while the rest of the female population are to cook, clean, and raise children. In my case the queen is making me learn grace, manners, and etiquette. No time for metal magic, like they let their women use magic or just plain free time, that’s way I sneak out so much.

To top off this nightmare is Cortez seems to only listen to his people’s advice- the king and queen, his advisors, his siblings, guards, and friends. I come in last if I come in at all. That’s not the worst, however, his parents persuaded him into thinking that it would be better to sleep in separate rooms so when I’m ovulating, there will be many rounds in him and I will more likely get pregnant, if they only knew. Personally I think they are hoping he will lose interest in me and go back to Isabella.

Before coming here and even the first two years, he let me be me. I could come and go as I pleased, drive my cars, practice metal magic, and wear pants, running shoes, and wife beaters. Soon, too soon for my comfort, his parents started enforcing rules on me. At first he stopped them, but soon he just stood by and let them do it. Where was the Cortez I fell in love with, the one who made my heart thunder, the one who playfully teased me, who taught me metal magic?

I wipe my eye as a tear rolls down my cheek. Stupid hormones not even three weeks and I’m already emotionally. I glance one more time around the ballroom and walk away. I have two months if I don’t want to forever be stuck here to make a decision. Two months to stop the inevitable.

“Where you going?” If I would’ve moved a little quicker I could’ve been out of the ballroom and almost to my room. I turn and to my surprise stands Sam. He gives me a once over, concern apparent in his dark green eyes.

“Oh just going for a walk to get a breather.” Lie. “You know I think the alcohol is getting to me.” Another lie. He stares at me unblinking deciding if I’m telling the truth.

“Want a frie-” he turns around as Mo shouts for him to come over and have a shot.

“No, thanks. I just need a little room,” I say with the most convincing smile I could muster. He stares again finally nodding.

“Okay, but when you get back come find me.” I nod. Again another lie. Once he walks away, I push myself through the ballroom doors. They swing shut blocking out my party. I smile, I actually relish the silence.

***

The wind blows through the car as I zoom through the country side. The trees are dropping gold and amber leaves, the tail tell sign of fall. The once green grass is sun burnt brown, easy for a fire to spread.

I press the button for the top to come down. As it slowly stores itself I drive into the center of the two way rode. I lift my hands off the steering wheel and close my eyes. The wind roars in my ear. It rips at my clothing and hair. It reminds me of waterfall. The air is so crisp and cold makes me want to go to the coast.

Suddenly the roaring wind turns into a long loud buzz. My eyes flash open. Coming straight at me is a huge rig. I grip the wheel and jerk it to the right. The rig wizzes by taking my side view mirror and some paint. Instead of freaking out I give a loud whoop and press down on the gas. That’s one way to make me feel alive. I needed that rush.

As I spot the junk yard and shift to a lower gear the only thing that comes to mind is how my steering wheel didn’t turn on a dime like it usually does.

***

Once again I park under the one and only tree. As I get out something catches my eyes. The tree seems different. The branches are lower and they are baring apples, when the other day it had barely any leaves not only that but they're all bright green.

I back away, looking suspiciously at it. For some reason I have a feeling it’s watching me. As I let me feet drag me, the tree shakes. I stop and rub my eyes in disbelief. Forget this. I turn on my heels and run towards the skin tingling magic.

“Whoa you look like you’ve seen a ghost,” Tommy states as he levitates a large rusted out fridge into the experimental pile. I slow my breathing.

“No I just saw a tree shake.” This earns a laugh from him.

“Well it’s a windy day.” I pause and look around; sure enough the wind is pulling up dust everywhere. My silence earns another laugh. Maybe it was my imagination.

“Ok funny. So what we doin’ today?” I ask rolling up my sleeves.

“Well today we have a guest. He was just picking up some metal, but when I mentioned you were coming he deiced to stay.” I start to sweat in worry and a touch of fear. Who could it be?”

“Don’t worry I won’t say anything to the king and queen. Your secret is safe with me.” I turn and relief floods my senses. Once again Sam stands before me, but with a grin this time. “That’s if you don’t ditch me again.” I nod sheepishly. He must’ve not drunk that much last night. Nice to know he cares.