‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Deceitful Charms

I hadn't had much to drink, but the night after my birthday, I felt like I was drunk. I stretched languidly, sunlight spilling through the thin curtains. Beside me, Sam was still asleep, his breathing deep and slow. I took a moment to just stare at him, drinking his face in. Four years of marriage, and I never got tired of looking at Sam. I slipped out of bed in a good mood, padding into the luxurious bathroom to take a shower and then wrestled my long hair into a braid, donning my uniform. Snug but flexible black pants, dark red tunic made from the silk of the Shrieking Spider. They were giant spiders that dwelt far to the south, and emitted a shrill, keening song in order to communicate with each other. There was almost nothing tougher than Shrieker Silk besides dragon scales, and armor heavily enchanted with protective runes. Usually only the people of the north, near the Emerald Sea ever used that though, since Rune magic was surprisingly complex and dangerous and they seemed to be the only few capable of mastering it.

I slipped my feet into my matching knee-high red boots, and my hands into my black gloves. Then came the tiny dagger that a Royal Guard always kept concealed inside their boot, as well as the small, curved blade that hung at my side. That was mostly for show though; guards all learned staff fighting, sword fighting, and knife throwing, but Riders were trained extensively in martial arts and street fighting. And then of course there was the gun that stayed tucked in my waistband. Always best to be prepared.

As I was walking out the door to go meet up with the others for our next grueling round of training with the newbies, Sam crept up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Finally awake I see," I teased, twisting around to hug him. He was already dressed in his usual black pants and a dark gray shirt. His black hair, as always, needed a trim, and his moss green eyes were dancing as he gave me a lazy grin. Sam didn't talk much that early in the morning. We walked to the training field together in easy silence, fingers twined together. The trainees were already on the field; Captain Terzian was drilling them through their warm-up exercises. I caught Mo's eye and he wiggled his eyebrows when he saw Sam and I holding hands. I affectionately flipped him off, then kissed Sam before he took up his place down the field, and I went to join Mo and the captain.

* * * *

I found Sam outside the forge late that afternoon, and sank against the wall with a deep sigh.

"Long day?" he asked sympathetically.

"Even when I'm not doing those damn drills, they still make me tired," I said. "Those poor rookies are going to be sore for a week. So where did you disappear to all day?"

"Oh, I was here and there," Sam replied. A thoughtful look came into his eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"I was thinking that maybe you should take a day to hang out with Judith."

I raised my eyebrows. "You know I'd love to, but we're right in the middle of training. I can't beg off, even if I am the king's sister-in-law. But I think I can work some sister time in with Judith. Why do you bring it up?"

"She's seemed really down lately."

I winced. "Yeah, I know. Between Nikolai and Margaretta giving her grief about an heir every five minutes, and Isabella dong her best to wriggle her way into Cortez's attentions, and Cortez himself kind of being, well, an asshat, Judith is feeling pretty blue. I think she keeps taking those blasted cars of hers out on wild rides just to get away from it all and keep her sanity. What little she had to start with, anyway." I chewed my lip. "I don't know that I like her taking off on her own so much. I know she loves her car and her freedom, but still. This is a foreign place, and she's a queen now. She almost went off the road the other day."

"Maybe she just needs a reason to stay home more," Sam suggested. I nodded.

"Do you happen to know where Cortez is today?"

* * * *

Interrupting a meeting between the king and his advisors, especially while addressing him as, "hey, Cortez, you baboon ass, I have a bone to pick with you" is probably not the best idea in the world, but it certainly caught everyone's attention. I probably would have been flogged on the spot, except that I'm a Rider, and related to him.

"Leila, I'm kind of in the middle of something," Cortez told me warily while his council muttered about my brashness.

"Yeah, well, it can wait. I'm here to inquire about the state of your health."

Cortez looked perplexed. "I'm fine. Why do you-"

"So no recent head trauma or anything?"

His confused frown deepened. "No. Leila, what-"

"Well I assumed you must have fallen down some stairs or received a bad concussion or something of the like, because I can't imagine what else could have addled your brain and caused you to forget you have a wife," I cut him off, my tone snarky. Cortez suddenly looked quite tired.

"Leila. Are you really sure this is the time and place for this?"

"Hey, I get it. You're the king now, the big cahuna and all. But Judith did not come here to be tossed aside like an old shoe, and I may be one of your guards, but I'm also family, and Judith is my big sister. And she loves you, though I'm really starting to wonder why. Just something you may want to think about, Your Majesty." I added the last part with a great deal of sarcasm, and the council members muttered among themselves again.

"Goodness, Cortez, have you really sunk so low as to sit there and allow this girl to talk to you in such a way?" a voice drawled from the doorway. I spun around to see a man who looked strikingly similar to Cortez, although he was a bit leaner, and his dark eyes were more black than the coffee with cream color of Cortez's eyes. His jet hair was pulled back into a ponytail. He had full, almost feminine lips that were curled into a slight sneer and he carried an air of arrogant superiority. I knew right away who he was, and I instantly disliked him.

"Hello, Mallik," Cortez said stiffly, rising to his feet and greeting his younger brother. "I wasn't expecting you back so soon."

"Clearly." A heavy, stifling silence filled the room until I thought it would burst from the tension.

"Leila, I imagine Captain Terzian has need of you on the training field," Cortez said finally, eyes still locked on his brother. I bristled.

"You know perfectly well the training is done for the day, and I believe it's customary to look someone in the eye when you dismiss them," I said, my voice hard. Cortez's eyes finally flickered to me, and he looked torn between annoyance and amusement.

"Since when are you all about manners and customs, Leila?"

"They seem to be a big deal to you," I shot back, unflinching.

"Fair enough. My apologies. Lady Leila, if you would kindly give my brother and I a moment." He bowed slightly. I nodded my head in response and swept from the room. Mallik didn't move out of my way, forcing me to bump shoulders with him. I shot him a cold glare but he just smiled. If you could call it that; his smile looked more predatory than jovial.

"Excuse me," I said, tone laced with a razor edge. Mallik bowed, almost mockingly. "I beg your pardon, but I was merely intrigued to finally see the foreign Dragon Rider who has a knife where her tongue should be. You do not disappoint. In fact I'd say the stories do injustice to both your fiery temper and your pale beauty."

"Oh shove it up your skinny butt, you douchenugget," I snapped. His self-assured smirk finally slipped, a furious shock glinting in his eyes. He scowled at me, and finally moved. He slipped into the council room and I stomped past him. Mallik pointedly slammed the door as soon as I was over the threshold.

Fuming, I went in search of Judith. I finally found her hustling through one of the servant's entrances, looking flushed.

"Judith!" I called, making her jump.

"Oh, hi Leila," she said, and I felt like her smile was too quick and forced. I pretended not to notice.

"Cortez's brothers and sister are back in town," I informed her. Her eyes widened.

"Really? They're early."

"I just met Mallik. You'll just love him." My tone was drenched in derision.

"He's that bad, huh?"

"Worse. I already started insulting him." I opened my mouth to tell her about it, but then I noticed a small twig in her hair.

"Judith, you have tree bits in your hair," I said, reaching out to grab it. Judith's hand flew up first, pulling the little piece of wood free of her pale locks.

"I'll catch up with you later, sis," Judith said quickly. "I think I'm going to go hop in the shower."

I let my hand drop and shrugged. "Yeah, okay. I'll tell you all about Mallik then."

She nodded, then hurried off down the hall towards her room. Baffled, I shook my head and set off for my own chambers thinking that everyone in the castle was losing their damn mind.