‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Still Strong

Unfortunately, since I didn’t go to my sister as a sister in need and she found me as the Royal Guard Caption, everything that happened had to be reported in, even the part about the abortion clinic. Normally she would have left something like that out, but with so many witnesses she was forced to comply truthfully or lose her new position. We were both trapped in your our roles.

I was not so gently forced down into a rather plush chair, with one of the former king and queen’s personal guards behind me. The room was an offshoot from the grand hall where Cortez usually worked. This room was a private meeting place with a large ‘u’ shaped table.

Other than the guard behind me, there were two guards standing watch at the door. Each one looked like they would rather be cleaning the grand hall than watching a purple spiked haired girl with snake bites. Apparently no one told them I was their queen. Looks like Mr. Tall behind me was told to keep me on the down low.

The guards stiffened and straightened as the door smoothly opened. In the doorway stood two looming figures, Nikolai and Margaretta. They slowly walked in followed by two more of their personal guards.

“Tyron, Samson you are dismissed,” Nikolai ordered without giving them a glance. The previous guards saluted then slipped out the door to be replaced with Mr. Built and Mr. Blond. Slowly they approached me. As their faces came into view, my anger started to grow. Each one of them had a smug look.

“Thought you could escape in the middle of the night, did you?” the queen asked coyly. “With that precious cargo?” She went to rub my belly, but I smacked her hand away and glared at her. Her face darkened with a scowl and she stiffly pulled away.

“No need to be aggressive, we’re family,” Nikolai said sweetly. “But what you did was unacceptable. You had no right, trying to end your pregnancy.” His face darkened to match Margaretta’s.

“Yes I did. It’s my body, my life. This wasn’t what I married into.” I shook my head realizing nothing was as it was and it would never be.

“If we had it our way Cortez would’ve never married you. He was suppose to go to your kingdom to broaden his horizon then come back and marry Isabella, like he said he would. Instead years later he comes back with a foreign girlfriend, soon to be wife.” Margaretta whips her head away in disgust.

“Don’t fret dear. After her little display of rebellion and recklessness, Cortez will make sure she is either by his side at all times or that she is confined to the palace. He will not risk losing his child again, or dare I say it, his love.”

“Yes and with nine months, I can whip her into shape,” she said with sweet determination. I rolled my eyes and looked away, like that’s happening. Margaretta put her hand towards my face. I went to smack it away, but was halted. Mr. Tall held my wrists tightly. She grabbed my chin, “If I must I will brainwash you, but you will be submissive, like Isabella, I guarantee it.” Fat chance.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Mr. Built and Mr. Blond both jumped, Mr. Tall released my wrists, and Nikolai and Margaretta whipped their heads around to the newcomer. My heart leaped for joy when out of the shadows came my sister and her dragon riding friends.

“We are having a private conversation former queen to queen,” Margaretta said releasing my chin and straightening to her full height. She was trying to intimidate Leila, but it wasn’t working. Leila’s irritation was so tangible I could feel it running along my skin like ten thousand ants. “Since this is private why don’t you and your friends leave? That’s an order.”

Leila’s eye twitched. “Unlikely, I just got my sister back, and I’m not losing her again, so back the fuck off and get off your high horse.” Leila walked swiftly towards me shouldering pass a pissed off Nikolai and Margaretta. “And you,” she said talking to Mr. Tall, “If you ever touch my sister like that again, I will cut your fingers off.”

Leila grabbed my wrist and pulled me off the chair and dragged me towards Balon and Jaxon. They were standing tall with puffed out chests, keeping Mr. Blond and Built at bay, plus displaying their blades helped keep them in control.

We shouldered pass Nikolai and Margaretta, but Margaretta grabbed my other wrist jerking us to a stop. She was quite strong, for being so old. “Don’t think your sister can always save you, especially after not trusting her. You’re burning your bridges, soon you will have no one,” she whispered loud enough for me and only me to hear. She smiled wickedly and released my wrist suddenly making Leila and I stumble forward.

“Bitch,” Leila said under her breath but loud enough for Margaretta to hear. Instead of looking at Margaretta, I was pulled out of the room followed by Balon and Jaxon. Leila didn’t slow down her pace until we were clear from the grand hall and at my room.

“Balon, Jaxon go to the fields and train the rookies, run them through drills. I will be out soon. My sister and I need to talk.” Balon and Jaxon exchanged looks then left with a nod of their heads. Leila turned her gaze at me and glared. “In.” she pointed to my door.

I took a deep breath and opened my door. This is going to be our make it or break it moment. I could feel the dread already building up. I should’ve gone to my sister when I started to feel ostracized but she looked so happy.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” She asked slamming the door behind her. Her arms were crossed and her expression closed off.

I rubbed my hands on my legs nervously. “I thought I could get through everything on my own.” I looked down afraid to meet her gaze. “I’m the eldest. I’m supposed to protect and save you not the other way around.”

“That’s not how it works. We’re sisters, blood. We’re here for each other to the end even if that means I take care of you.” I steeled my nerves and looked up. She no longer looked upset. She sighed when my eyes met hers. “You really hurt me, you know that.” She shook her head lightly.

“I know,” I said lamely. “Just you looked so happy for once.”

“That’s no excuse.” I looked down knowing that there was nothing I could say. These damn hormones made me want to cry. How fucking selfish?

“That’s enough now. I know you’re pregnant, that Cortez hit you, that his parents and everyone around them dislike you because you’re foreign, and you know what?” I looked up as I felt her hand on my shoulder, “Fuck them. Hang with me, with my friends let them get to know their queen.” She smiled and hugged me. “Your true self not this scared girl.”

A tear rolled down my cheek as I my head laid against her shoulder. “Why don’t you hate me? I should’ve trusted you.”

“Yes you should’ve, but hell we are sisters, but I’m warning you know if you pull something like this again there will be hell to pay, you hear me?” I laughed, as relief flooded through me and nodded my head. We made it.

“Who knows maybe a dragon will choose you as a rider. Oh and keep the hair and piercing, there fucking awesome. Oh why is there a twig suck in one of your spikes?” I pulled away to see the same freaking stick as all the other times. It was freaking following me. Leila laughed and throws it in the garbage. “Looks like you made a new friend already.”

***

The next morning I took Leila’s advice and decided to be myself. I ignored the note from Margaretta attached to the bottle of instant hair growth, a purple ruffle dress, and a bag of cosmetics. Instead I spiked up my hair, put on a chain necklace with the silver sphere, dressed in a loose white shirt with tire tracks patterns, a pair of oil stained jeans and my worn out converse. Today I was dressing comfy, or as I call it the teenage way.

As I walked into the dinning room, the talking became silence. The look on Margaretta’s face was priceless. She wanted to kill. Mallik looked me up and down and gave me a lazy smile. It was sort of creepy. Cortez caught Mallik’s look and cleared his throat.

“Honey how are you feeling?” He got up pulling out the chair next to him for me to sit in. I glared at him and walked to the opposite of the table. Mallik watched me the whole time. He is a creep.

“So awesome, you’re Judith. I love your hair.” I gaze fell onto a child. She looked ten. Her black hair was cut into a pixie cut with blond tips. She smiled wildly at me revealing braces; her jade green eyes sparkled with acceptance and rebellion. I smiled already liking her.

“Is this spot taken?” I pointed to the seat next to her. She shook her head then kicked out the chair. “Kai? Right?” I asked sitting.

“Yep, that’s me.” I smiled letting my gaze wonder the room. Finally they settled on a large man. He was taller than Cortez and built like an ox. He stared at me with a cold look. He neither liked nor disliked me. Or at least that’s what I assumed.

“That’s Ranji. He may seem menacing but he really is a sweet big brother. Did you know he is older than Cortez? He would’ve been king, but never chose a bride. I understand why their all like Isabella, meanie weenies,” Kai whispered to me as she shoved a piece of waffle in her mouth.

“So Judith you will stay here in the palace with my mother. She will make sure you and our child are well taken care of.” Fat chance. “I must attend to business with my brothers, today but tomorrow you will stay with me. Oh and Derek and Smith with accompany you where ever you go,” Cortez commanded challenging me with his eyes to disobey. I stayed quite biding my time.

“Whatever,” I said shrugging my shoulders.

“Yes,” Margaretta stated sternly. I glared at her and stayed quite. Kai giggled next to me, earning reprimand looks from everyone, but she kept giggling not caring what they thought. As soon as Kai stopped giggling she looked at me.

“Cool twig, how do you get it to stay in your hair?” I lightly patted my hair. It’s was that darn twig again. What was with this thing? I stuck it in my cup of water. It floated there for a second then it sucked all the water up. I looked at Kai; she looked at me with a smirk.

“You saw that right?” She nodded. I looked around; no one else seemed to notice. A flicker of movement caught my eyes and I saw a pair of blue wings pass the window. Time to blow this joint. I stood up and suddenly Derek and Smith were right next to me. “Wow calm down I’m just going to the bathroom. It’s not like I’m going to run off. Kai you need to go?” She looked at me; I smiled sweetly back hoping she caught onto what I was suggesting.

“Oh yes I do.” She bounced up and we headed into the bathroom. “Ladies only,” she said to the bodyguard then slammed the door in their faces. “So what’s the plan?” I looked at the window; blue wings went in and out of the view then a smile curved my lips.