Secretly

Sixteen

“So…”Amelia asked for the twentieth time. “You DIDN’T sleep with him.”

Julie looked up at the ceiling in exasperation, as if the answers to her questions would be written up there. “No,” she assured her best friend again. “I didn’t. It was a dream. It just felt… really real.”

“But…it wasn’t?” Amelia pressed. Julie could hear the disappointment all the way from Virginia, dripping through the phone. Why she thought Amelia would be any help at all, she had no idea.

They’d spent a large part of high school and then college overanalyzing the tiniest things that, to the majority of people, obviously meant nothing. He picked up your pencil when you dropped it? He wants you. He held the door opened for you even though you were ten whole steps behind? He definitely wants you.

“No, Mel,” Julie exhaled. “It. Was. A. Dream.” At least, she was pretty sure it was.

“And you said he kissed your hip?” Amelia asked skeptically. Julie could practically see her scrunch up her face in confusion.

“It was bruised,” she answered. She was starting to regret ever picking up the phone and calling her best friend, who was proving to be no help whatsoever. “He kissed it.”

“That’s weird,” Amelia concluded.

“I know!” Julie wailed, although she thought it was more sweet than weird. “What’s that even mean?”

Silence.

“He wants you,” Amelia declared. Julie sat down at the kitchen island and let her forhead hit the marble counter. This was getting nowhere.

It was pretty clear Jon had been about to kiss her. And she would have let him, too.

Except she wasn’t that kind of girl. And she knew Jon wouldn’t do something like that. At least, not if he was sober. Which he wasn’t, because they’d both had had a lot to drink.

Julie might have fake cheated on Mike with Jon, but she wasn’t about to cheat for real on Patrick with him. They’d come close to it, but Julie refused to let alcohol lead to the destruction of her relationship and his friendship.

In the end, Julie had turned away, dropping onto her back and declaring how tired she was. She didn’t think she’d ever fall asleep with Jon so close, but the insane amount of sugar and alcohol she’d consumed knocked her right out.

As for that dream? Well, it was a dream, and that’s all it was. She didn’t have time to worry about it, not that she’d been thinking about it or anything.

Besides, Patrick was coming back today, and she was supposed to pick him up from O’Hare in half an hour.
♠ ♠ ♠
I debated for a long time whether last chapter would be a dream or not but in the end, I couldn't do that to poor Patrick! I'm glad some of you caught on!

Thanks for reading and subscribing! <3