Secretly

Two

“I’m in love,” Patrick declared as he and Jon entered the apartment. He dropped his hockey bag by the door and walked over to the fridge, grabbing two beers and offering one to Jon.

“Of course you are,” Jon stated, trying to keep from rolling his eyes as he accepted the drink. “You were practically drooling.”

“Did you see her?” Patrick asked, dropping down onto his couch. “She was beautiful!”

Jon agreed halfheartedly as he turned on the television. It wasn’t that he didn’t think the girl was attractive. He did. He completely understood where Patrick was coming from.

The girl from the elevator was tall and lean. When she’d first step into the elevator, he’d noticed the light smattering of freckles on her nose and her sharp brown eyes as they met his briefly. She really was beautiful. He wasn’t surprised Patrick was already salivating over the girl.

But this wasn’t the first time Patrick had fallen in love with a girl because of how she looked.

And it wouldn’t be the last time.

All he could do in the meantime was humor his friend until he fell in love with another girl.

“And the best part is,” Patrick continued on excitedly, “She lives across the hall!”

That made Jon a little worried. If things played out the way they usually did, then this girl would not be happy by the end of it.

It was one thing to be a one-night stand of Patrick Kane’s, but to live across the hall from him, and see him everyday, and see potentially other one-night stands?

Well, that wouldn’t be very nice.

Patrick just brushed him off when Jon pointed this out.

“Aw c’mon,” he said. “I’m not that bad. And frankly, I’m a little insulted. I have more tack than to let my hook ups run into each other.” Jon looked at his friend quizzically. “There are other elevators I could use. And the stairs.”

Jon made a mental note to say something to the girl on his way out.

“So what flavor do you think I should get?”

“Flavor?” Jon repeated, dumbfounded.

“Yeah,” Patrick said, giving his friend a pointed look. “Cookies. She looked like a peanut butter kind of girl, dont’cha think?”