Secretly

Six

Charlie the doorman opened up the door for Jon and Julie as he greeted the pair. Jon smiled at Roger, the guard, before leading Julie to the elevators. He supported her as they rode up to the 27th floor.

“I thought you lived with Patrick,” Julie said, confused. “You’re over there a lot.”

“Yeah,” Jon laughed. “I am. We used to come here just as often, but ever since you --”

He stopped himself short, almost exposing his friend’s preference to hang out at his place in case he ran into Julie. It was a little surprising that after all this time, he was still hoping to score with her even though she’d mentioned a boyfriend.

Plus, after the old fart comment, Jon didn’t think his friend had much of a chance anyway.

“But,” Patrick had swallowed. “You’re name’s Hadlington.”

“So was my grandmother’s,” Julie replied slowly. “Before she married my grandfather.”

“Right,” Patrick said, recovering. “Well, we just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood!”

Julie had glanced down at the burnt cookies and smiled.

“I really appreciate that,” she enthused. “But, rats! I’m allergic to peanuts.”

That, Jon figured, was their cue to leave.

“Thanks for stopping by,” Julie gushed. “But I really should give my boyfriend a call.” She stressed the word boyfriend, letting Patrick know she wasn’t interested.

That didn’t stop him, however, and he was determined to win her over, much to Jon’s dismay.

If that meant more baking, he was out.

“Let me grab some band aids,” Jon said instead, helping Julie down onto a kitchen chair. Jon’s apartment, unlike Patrick’s ultramodern loft, was all wood panels and hardwood floors. It reminded him of home.

“Thanks,” Julie said, looking around.

“What are doing out so early?” Jon asked, trying to make conversation while cleaning up her scrapes.

“This might sting a little.” He wiped the alcohol soaked cotton pad across her wounds and expected a scream, but Julie just winced quietly, her face scrunched up.

It was adorable.

“I was running,” she gasped in a rush. “My boyfriend was still asleep and I want to break up with him but I didn’t want to wait around so I went for a run and then I got lost.”

She wasn’t making any sense, but he could tell it was the pain talking as he moved from one knee to the next and then moved on to her elbows.

“There,” Jon declared, putting the last band-aid on.

“Thanks,” she said softly, looking down at him. He was on his knees, so that he was leveled with her.
She really was beautiful. Her face was flushed from the cold, and her big brown eyes stared at his gratefully.

He was close enough to notice the scattering of freckles across her small nose. It made her look young and innocent.

“We should get you back home,” he heard himself saying even though that was the last thing he wanted.

“Right,” she agreed, getting up.

He offered to drive, but she asked if they could walk, and he agreed whole-heartedly.

As they strolled back towards Julie’s apartment in the biting cold, Jon couldn’t help feeling content. It was nice to just walk. Not run or work out, but just stroll. He pointed out several landmarks and she listened intently, asking questions. He imagined them doing this same thing, but because they’d meant to, and not because they’d run into each other, and he couldn’t help smiling at the thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the positive comments!! :)