Let's Take Over the World

All the Girls and Drink and Drugs...it's gonna be a ***ing blast!

Chapter 4

After the show that night, the rest of Cam's band were going back to his house with us. A “celebration.” Could it be more ironic? They're celebrating their first proper gig and I was about to attempt to steal their drummer and rhythm guitarist. They'd all brought other friends (mostly girls) so it was just a small house party. Cam's parents had vacated the house so we could get as drunk as we wished, just as long as the house was in the same condition they left it in.
“So, James,” I said. Everyone was drinking, so I figured it would be better to get this out of the way sooner rather than later, since he would probably forget later. “Danny and I are starting a band and all we're missing now is a drummer...” I trailed off suggestively. “Would you...I don't know...be...interested by any chance?”
“Nahh, mate. I'm happy where I am.”
“Aww, come on, James! We need you!” he laughed.
“You need me? Really?”
“James, you are, by far, the best drummer I have ever witnessed in action. We're going to America. We're gonna make it big!” I exaggerated.
“And what do I get out of it?” his eyes narrowed and I had the feeling he was close to caving.
“You're gonna be a rock star. You're gonna have girls throwing themselves at your feet and men wishing they were you because you're so fucking awesome! You're gonna have money. Your name is gonna be known...worldwide! You'll have all the girls and drink and drugs you could hope for...it's gonna be a fucking blast!” I got kind of caught up in the excitement momentarily and it was then that I realised that if I didn't do this, I wouldn't do anything with my life. This was all I wanted to do.
“Fuck it, I'm in!”
“Yes! James, I promise you that, at some point, you're gonna get a blow job out of this!”
“Where the fuck do I sign?!” he joked.
I went to find Danny. He was standing by the window, talking to some bimbo, a red plastic cup filled with what I suspected was whiskey in his hand. He was drinking right through the comedown.
He took one look at my face. “You did it?” his watched me carefully, almost reluctantly, as if he didn't want to be let down. I suddenly realised that this meant as much to Danny as it did to me. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but: Danny doesn't give a shit about anything but himself, cigarettes and alcohol. If he noticeably gives a shit about something then you know just how important to him it is to him. And looking at his face now I knew he was scared that this wasn't going to work out. But I knew it would.
“I sure as hell fucking did!” he lit up like a fucking Christmas tree and I knew that he'd do anything for the band. He high fived me.
“Now all we need is a singer.”
“Uh, about that, Danny...”
“You want me to do it, don't you?”
“I'm sorry, Dan. I know how much you wanted to play guitar, but I was watching Cameron earlier and I just thought--”
“Don't worry about it. I thought exactly the same thing. I'm not very good. Cam's nearly as good as you. So why the fuck not steal him? I can do the vocals, Ben. I enjoy it; it's what I'm good at. I just wanted a change and this is what will benefit the band. So I really don't mind.” I think that might be the most I've ever heard Danny say at once.
“Thanks, Dan. That makes this whole thing so much easier.”
“Let's go find Cam.” he winked at me. We wandered to the kitchen where we found Cam pouring himself another drink.
“Hey, guys, you enjoying yourselves?” he stumbled slightly as he walked over to us, showing that he had already had quite enough to drink. I wondered if it was best to keep this until the morning, but Danny had already taken over.
“Do you wanna be in out band?” he blurted.
“I'm already in a band.”
“We know. But you're awesome! We need you. And we already nicked James, so you're probably best off with us.” he winked.
“Okay.” he wandered off to do...something else. I guessed that we would be having this conversation again in the morning.
I texted Sam; he had given me his number at the gig and told me to message him when we could all meet up together. Can you come to Cam's tomorrow?
Yeah, sure. What time?
Uhh, three thirty.
Did you find a singer?
No, Danny's doing it. Cam's gonna play guitar for us :)
Sweet. See you tomorrow.

The next morning, or, well, afternoon, we spoke to Cam again about playing guitar for the band.
“But I already have a band.”
“Uhh...no.” Danny said, lengthening the “no” so it sounded more like a question.
“What do you mean?” Cam frowned.
“Uhh...we kinda nicked James last night already.”
“Oh, right.”
“So do you wanna join us?”
Cam thought for a couple of minutes, stressing me and Danny. When he spoke he seemed hesitant. “Well...I suppose if James is gone...I maybe...” he trailed off. He suddenly grinned. “Fuck it! Why not?! I've heard you all before and if the four of you don't make a fucking shit hot band well...I might have to shoot myself.”
“So...you're in?” I asked.
“Fuck yeah, I'm in!”