The Con Man

Chapter Twelve: Help!

The tension was so thick in the dining room someone would have had to have used a chain saw to get through it. The day had come to an end & still Alex had not been found. 'How was your afternoon?', asked Peter looking at Neal. Neal coughed almost bringing his piece of chicken back up, 'Um it was good.', he said & than quickly took a swig of his drink. The room fell once again silent until there was a knock at the door. Peter drew his weapon & approached the door, 'Who is it?', he asked. 'Who do you think?', said Mozzie from the other side. Everyone let out a deep breath & Peter put his gun back in it's holster to answer the door. 'Suit.', said Mozzie as he entered the Burke residence. 'Mozzie.', he said nodding at the bald man as he closed the door behind him. 'Moz, what are you doing here?', asked Neal getting up from the table. 'Just checking in. Oh look chicken.', said Mozzie taking a spot at the table. 'Let me get you a plate.', say's Elizabeth getting to her feet. 'Thank you Mrs. Suit.', say's Mozzie as he looks over the plate of chicken. 'No problem.', she say's returning with a plate in her hand & some silverware. Andi picks up her plate & goes into the kitchen, Elizabeth follows her. 'You okay honey?', she asks Andi. 'Fine.', she say's forcing a smile to her lips. 'If you need to talk let me know.', she say's. 'Thanks, do you want me to do the dishes?', asks Andi. 'No I got it, you look tired, maybe you should go lay down?' Andi thinks about this for a minute & than looks at her friend. 'No, that's alright, I'll visit some with Mozzie and than head off to bed.', she say's. 'Alright.', say's Elizabeth. Just than Peter enters the room & Andi leaves allowing the two to have a private moment. 'She alright?', asks Peter. 'As alright as she's going to be.', say's Elizabeth. 'I wish we would had gotten a better lead, but Krammer isn't talking.' 'Yeah I don't understand why either.' 'He wants to make a deal to get his sentence reduced but I'm not willing to shave off any time. He tried to kill Andi, that can't be ignored and if I know Neal and I make a deal it'll only anger him more.', say's Peter. 'That's true.', say's El. They go back into the living room & join in on the conversation. An hour later Andi excuses herself & heads upstairs to take a shower. Neal is in their room when she comes out. 'Hey.', he say's smiling at her. She plops down on the bed & he joins her. 'You okay? You hardly said five words all night.', say's Neal. 'I'm fine, just tired that's all.' 'You want me to lay down with you?' 'You can if you want.', she say's. She lies down & he follows suit. They lay their like that for what seems to be a long time, Andi can feel herself drifting off to sleep & the last thing she feels is his breath on the back of her neck followed by a kiss.

3 day's later...

Neal throw's his phone across the room & it breaks into tiny pieces after slamming against the wall. 'Neal?!', screams Andi as she comes rushing in from the bathroom. He sits on the bed with his head in his hands. Andi goes over & picks up the pieces that were once his phone & than walks over to him & sits down next to him. 'What happened?' 'Another false lead.', mutters Neal. 'I'm sorry.', she say's touching his back but he flinches at her touch. So she pulls her hand away & get's up off the bed. 'Andi.', he say's looking up at her. She stops at the door but doesn't turn to face him. 'What?', she say's with hurt in her voice. 'I'm sorry, I just.', she turns to look at him. 'I know your afraid. But your not the only one going through this Neal. Were married, remember? So everything that affects you affects me too.', she say's. He get's up off the bed & walks over to her & pulls her into his arms. 'I know. I love you so much. I hope you know that.', he say's. She chokes back the tears that are forming in her eyes. 'I love you too.', she say's back. Just than someone from behind them clears their throat & they pull back. 'Sorry to interrupt but Neal, Peter needs you at the office.', say's Elizabeth. 'Right, thanks El.', say's Neal. Andi shields her face she doesn't want her friend seeing her like this. 'I'll be back as soon as I can.', Neal say's to Andi. 'Okay.', she say's & than he disappears into the hall way.

'Sorry about that.', say's Elizabeth turning her attention to Andi. 'No it's alright.', she say's finally looking at her friend. 'What's wrong?' Elizabeth can see the tears in Andi's eye's. 'Nothing, we were just talking and it got a bit emotional. Well on my part anyways.', she say's. 'Listen what do you say to a little girls day out?', asks Elizabeth. 'Can we do that?', asks Andi. 'Yeah Peter say's as long as we bring someone along we can.' 'Sounds nice.', say's Andi smiling for the first time in day's. Stepping out into the mid afternoon sun felt unbelievably wonderful on Andi's skin. She hadn't been outside in what felt like forever so it was nice & she basked in it. 'Where shall we go first?', asks Elizabeth as she loops her arm into Andi's. 'Doesn't really matter to me.', say's Andi. 'Alright, I say we go for a manipedi.', say's Elizabeth. 'Sounds good to me.' They head into town & stop at the first nail salon they come to. Andi is enjoying herself but can't help but wonder why Peter needed Neal for? She looks over to Elizabeth & clears her throat. She opens her eye's & looks over at her, 'Yeah?', asks Elizabeth. 'Did Peter say what he needed Neal for?' 'Nope, just that he needed for him to be there.', say's El. 'Oh okay.', say's Andi & lay's her head back down. After their spa treatment they head to a restaurant. For the past few day's Andi hasn't had much of an appetite. They order & Andi get's something light. 'You okay? You haven't ate much in the past few day's.', asks Elizabeth. 'Yeah, I haven't been to overly hungry.', say's Andi. 'Why's that?' 'Not sure.', say's Andi. 'Probably just the stress of the situation.' 'More than likely.'

After lunch Andi excuses herself to the bathroom & than they head back out into the city for more shopping. 'Do you think Peter will like this sweater?', Elizabeth asks as they step onto the subway platform. 'Yeah I'm sure he'll love it El.', say's Andi. She can feel her lunch make it's way back up & she know's any minute now it will come shooting back up & out of her. 'Elizabeth.', say's Andi looking at her. 'Yeah?' 'I think I'm gonna be sick.', she say's & runs off, Elizabeth on her tail. Andi flies into the first available bathroom stall & sure enough her lunch makes a repeat performance. Elizabeth stands outside the stall listening to her friend. After a minute Andi comes out of the stall, 'You okay?', asks Elizabeth with concern on her face. 'Yeah fine, thanks.', she responds. They step back out & wait for the next subway to come around. As they start to step onto the next train a rush of people come up behind Andi & Elizabeth. Elizabeth feels something hit her from behind & than passes out. A few minutes later Elizabeth comes too, she's sitting on a bench & there are people around her & she has a cold ice pack on her head. 'What happened?', she say's looking around. 'Someone hit you from behind.', say's a woman. Finally aware of her surroundings she stands up real fast, 'Andi?!', she say's. The two men who had been with them step forward. 'She's gone.', say's one of them & than the other hand's her a note.

Tell Neal if he wants his wife back he better play nice.

Alex

Elizabeth almost faints at the sight of her name. Right away Elizabeth get's up & they are off to FBI headquarter's. She rushes through the doors screaming for her husband. Peter comes out of his office, 'El what's wrong?' 'Where's Neal?', she asks. 'Hes in the conference room. What's going on?' 'Here.', say's Elizabeth & hands Peter the note. 'Dammit.', say's Peter & they look up to the conference room. 'We better tell him.', say's Peter & they head upstairs.