The Con Man

Chapter Fifteen: The Stand-Off

Andi looks over at Mozzie who is beginning to come out of his induced nap. 'Mozzie.', she say's to him. He looks up & over at her. 'Andi, are you alright?', he say's. He tries to move but quickly realizes that he's tied to a chair. 'I'm fine, how are you?' 'Great, minus the enormous headache I have. What happened?' 'Alex hit you from behind.' They look around, she's no where to be found. 'Where did she go?', asks Mozzie. 'I don't know, she didn't tell me. But something tells me she won't be gone long.', say's Andi. Just than they hear the door come open, they both know who it is so no use in acting as if there is someone there to save them. 'Oh good, your awake Mozzie!', say's Alex with a little skip in her step. 'Yes, unfortunately you were unable to kill me.' 'Oh trust me, if I wanted you dead, you'd be dead.', say's Alex setting a bag down on the floor. 'Hi Mommy to be. How are you? Did you miss me?' Andi doesn't respond but instead looks over at Mozzie & looking back at her from behind his over sized glasses is a puzzled look on his face. 'I brought you something to eat. If your nice I'll untie you both. But no trying to run or else.' & she pats at her side where she now has a gun. Andi & Mozzie look at each other & back at Alex. 'Deal.', they say.

Back at Neal's apartment Neal is searching through every piece of paper he can find. 'There's gotta be something here.', he say's. 'If you tell me what your looking for maybe I can help.', say's Peter. 'That's just it, I don't know what I'm looking for.', say's Neal. Just than there's a knock at the door. Peter draws his weapon as Neal approaches the door. 'Who is it?', he ask's. 'It's June.' They both take a deep breath as Neal opens the door. 'Sorry June.' 'That's quite alright. Have you found her?' 'No, not yet.', say's Neal hanging his head. 'Were working on it.', say's Peter. 'This might help.', say's June handing Neal an envelope. 'Good luck.', she say's touching Neal's cheek. 'Thank you June.', say's Neal taking the envelope from her. She disappears & Neal heads to the table. Just than Peter's phone rings. 'Burke.', he say's. Neal is thumbing through the paper's that were in the envelope. In it he finds a nap & a letter.

I left this with the old woman. Don't worry I didn't harm her. She's no where near as important as your precious Andi. Follow the map Neal & where x marks the spot is what you need to get back your wife. If you fail to bring me what I want than your wife will pay the ultimate price.

Alex

'Neal.', say's Peter approaching him. 'What?', he say's. 'Alex just called.' 'Let me guess she wanted to know if we had the map yet?', say's Neal holding it up. 'Yeah she did.' 'Let's go.', say's Neal. He studies the map in the car while giving Peter directions. At the end of their journey they come to a bar. 'Why would Alex send us to a bar?', asks Peter. 'Not just any bar Peter. This is the bar where she helped me with that card trick, remember when that group of students was copying me?' 'I see.', say's Peter. They go inside & Neal approaches the bartender. 'Hi sir, what can I get for you?', say's the bar tender. Neal looks down at the map & than back up at the bar tender. 'I hear the vodka is good here, give me one good shot on the rocks.' The bartender knowing what Neal wants say's, 'Right away.' 'You can't fit a cube of ice in a small shot glass.', say's Peter. 'Exactly, just watch.', say's Neal. The bartender returns with the vodka. Neal drinks it & finds stuck to the bottom is a key. He takes the key & thanks the bartender & than leaves. 'What was that about?', say's Peter. 'I have no idea. But this key must open something, there was another letter in the bottom of that envelope that said not to read until later. I think she was meaning now.', say's Neal. He takes the letter out & reads it.

Good job Neal you found the key! Now all you have to do is go back to our old stomping ground & use the key to get me what I want. You better tell the suit to take you off your anklet this place is kind of out of your range.

Alex

'I know. I know.', say's Peter as he takes off Neal's anklet. When they reach their destination Neal finds there in an empty warehouse. Inside there is a row of locker's. He counts about 20. 'Let's get to it.', say's Neal stepping to the first locker. He fails at the first 14 lockers but finally at locker 15 it opens. Inside is a single painting with a note attached to it.

Neal, you found it. Tell the suit to go away so you can deliver it to me. If you don't come alone I'm serious something will happen to Andi.

Alex

He looks at Peter. 'No.', say's Peter. 'Peter, please.' 'Your unprotected.' 'She's in this building.', say's Neal. 'How do you know?', asks Peter. 'Because, this is one of Mozzie's safe houses.' 'Fine. I'll leave, but I'm coming back.' 'I know, that's what I want you to do.', say's Neal. Just than his phone rings.'Alex.' 'You've found it haven't you?', she say's. 'Yes I have. Where are you?' 'Has he left yet?' 'No, but he's leaving now.' 'I'm gone Alex!', say's Peter & walks off. 'Okay, he's gone, where are you?', asks Neal. 'Follow the sound of my voice.', say's Alex. He keeps listening & finally he steps into view. He see's Andi. 'Neal!', she screams. Just than Alex steps into view. 'Don't take one step.', say's Alex. Neal is holding the painting in his hand. 'First.', say's Alex pointing to it. 'Don't give it to her Neal.', say's Andi. 'God, will you shut up!', screams Alex pointing her gun at her. 'Put it down!', yells Neal. 'I don't want to hurt her I really don't, but if she doesn't shut up.' 'Here.', say's Neal holding the painting out. It's than that he see's Mozzie. 'Moz you okay?' 'Just fine Neal, were just great. Are you great Andi?', he say's looking over at her. 'Will you all shut up?!', screams Alex stepping towards Neal. 'Here's the painting, just take it so we can go.', say's Neal. 'You really think it's that simple?', say's Alex. 'What more do you want?', say's Alex. 'I want you to know what it feels like to lose everything you've worked so hard to get.' Alex steps back & goes for Andi. She unties her & grabs her up out of the chair. 'Say good-bye Neal.', say's Alex as she presses the gun to Andi's head. 'No, please. I got you the painting.', say's Neal. 'Please Alex just let me go.', say's Andi. 'Shut up.', say's Alex. 'Peter's coming back.', say's Neal. 'Oh I'm counting on it. But you see I still hold all the cards.', she say's holding Andi closely. Just than they hear sirens & before long a voice. 'Alex Hunter! This is Agent Peter Burke! We have you completely surrounded, come out with your hands up!' Alex laughs & than Neal's phone rings. 'Answer it!', yells Alex. Neal does, 'Peter.' 'Everything alright in there?', asks Peter. 'No, no it's not.', say's Neal.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you are all enjoying this story. I'm preparing to end this story within the next 2 chapters. If you like this story & would like me to write more White Collar fan fics please let me know.

comment/subscribe