The Con Man

Chapter Four: An Unexpected Surprise

3 days later…

He sat holding her hand & watching as the plane began it’s decent into New York. From beside him she said ‘You okay’. ‘Yea fine, you’, he asked. ‘I’m okay’, she said. Inside the air port he got their bags & they headed outside, he waved a cab down & they began their next leg of this journey. Soon they pulled up in front of the house that Neal once called home, he hoped that June would all them back in & she did. With open arms & tears in her eyes she said ‘Neal, Andrea, welcome back’ ‘Thank you June’, said Neal. They settled themselves back into the place that was so familiar. ‘Do you want to call your family’, asked Neal. ‘If it’s okay with you’, she said. ‘Of course, I know you’ve been eager too ever since he got on the plane’ She quickly got out the burn phone they got at the air port & dialed her sister’s number, Neal walked outside & looked out at the city. It was so good to be back, but he knew that this would come with a price, but somehow he didn’t care. 45mins later she came back with a smile on her face, he was so happy to see that smile, it was something he hadn’t seen in a log time. ‘Thanks’, she said. ‘You’re welcome, are they okay’, he asked. ‘Their good, glad to have heard my voice. I told them I wouldn’t be coming back to Illinois for a while and they understood’ ‘Thank you, I appreciate you being here.’ She grabbed his hand & looked at him ‘Of course, were in this together Neal, I won’t leave you, I’ll stay with you for as long as they allow me to’, she kissed him after saying this. They spent the night in, soaking up every moment they had because they didn’t know if it would be their last.

When the morning came she woke up once again, alone, she found him outside. She wrapped her arms around his waist, ‘Good morning’, she said. ‘I don’t know if I can say it’s a good morning’, he said. ‘It’s good for me’, she said. He turned around & looked at her, ‘Why do you say that’, he asked. ‘Because any morning I wake up with you is good’, she said with a smile on her face. He kissed her & than then fear came back into his face. ‘It’ll be okay Neal’, said Andi. ‘I hope so’ she got ready & they called a cab. Holding his hand they stepped on the elevator, Neal hit floor 21 & tightened his grip on her hand. ‘I love you’, he said, ‘I love you too’, she said. Minutes later the doors opened & they stepped onto the floor. She opened the door & pulled him inside, everyone looked with amazement in their eyes, Andi stopped to speak with Jones ‘Peter in his office’, she said. ‘Yes he is’, said Jones. ‘Thank you Jones’ said Andi & they made their way up the stairs. Peter looked up from his computer as they stepped into his office, standing up he reached his hand out waiting for a handshake ‘Andi, Neal, good to see you’, said Peter. ‘Good to see you too’, said Andi taking his hand. ‘Let’s go talk’, said Peter. They went into the conference room & shut the door. ‘Would you like anything to eat or drink’, asked Peter. ‘No were fine’, said Andi. ‘Andi, if you don’t mind, could you step outside’ ‘No I don’t, but I’m not leaving him Peter’, said Andi. ‘I see, well I’m sorry but I’m going to have to ask you to leave Andi. You have no reason to be here’, said Peter. ‘Yes I do, Peter’ ‘Unless you’re his wife I’m going to have to ask you to leave’ It was than that Neal let go of Andi’s left hand & she put it up on the table for Peter to see, on her left ring finger was a diamond engagement ring & a gold wedding band ‘You see Peter, I am Mrs. Neal Caffrey now, so I won’t be leaving this room’, she said. ‘Very well than, by the way, congratulation’s’, said Peter. ‘Thank you’, she said.

Turning to Neal he said ‘Neal, how are you’ ‘I’m fine Peter. I want to get through the pleasantries and right down to business. I know I’m in trouble, but how much trouble’, he asked. ‘Not as half as much trouble as I am in’, said Peter. ‘I don’t understand’, said Neal with confusion in his voice. ‘They did an investigation into your little stunt and an eye witness saw me nod my head in your direction so I’m in just as much trouble as you are for this’ ‘What does that mean’ ‘That means I’ve been pushing paper’s while you’ve been God knows where having a good ‘ol time and getting married. If they find me guilty I could lose my badge’, said Peter. ‘So you can’t help me’, said Neal. ‘No I can’t, as a matter of fact I have directions to arrest you on sight’ Neal jumped up out of the chair. ‘No Peter!’ he said. ‘I’m sorry Neal, you’ll have to come with me’, said Peter. ‘Now just wait a minute here Peter! There’s gotta be something you can do’, said Andi fear back into her voice. ‘I’m sorry Andi, if there was something I could do I would’, said Peter. ‘What about Jones or Diane? Can they talk on Neal’s behalf so he won’t go to prison’, said Andi. ‘I don’t know Andi. I don’t think so’ ‘We can’t let them take him Peter, please, there’s gotta be something we can do’, she was hysterical. The thought of losing him was more than she could bear, especially now. Andi stood up & walked over to Neal ‘I won’t let them take you. I promise Neal’, she said. ‘There’s nothing more we can do Andi. I’m so sorry’, he said. ‘For what’, she asked. ‘For marrying you only to have you waste your life on someone who won’t ever be around’ ‘Don’t be sorry for that Neal. I don’t regret my decision to marry you. I love you, you know that. I won’t give up, I’ll keep working until I can find a way to make you free’, she said. Peter didn’t know what to do, he was torn. ‘Neal’, he said all of a sudden, they had forgotten they were alone in the room & turned at the sound of his voice. ‘There might be something we can do. You walked in here on your own, that’s good. Since we didn’t have to track you down that will work in your favor’ ‘How’, asked Neal. ‘Just listen, we both know the only reason you ran was because Kramer was trying to bust you for that painting you stole’ ‘Yea so’ ‘Well, you gave it back, he can’t prove it was stolen since you gave it back’, said Peter. ‘That sounds too simple’, said Neal. ‘Yes, but if we can get him on tape admitting that he was just out to get you than we could both be off the hook. You would get your freedom and I could get out from behind this desk’, said Peter. ‘How are we going to get him to do that? He’s not exactly the type to open up’, said Neal. ‘It’ll be hard, but we’ll figure it out’ ‘How am I suppose to figure that out if I’m in prison’, said Neal. ‘Nobody knows you’re here except the people who saw you come in. If we can get them all to keep their mouth’s shut than we can work on this without Kramer finding out’, said Peter. Neal looked at Andi ‘What do you think’, he asked her. ‘I think it just might work’, she said. ‘Good, go back to your place Neal, now go, I’ll take care of them’, said Peter looking out into the room of FBI agents. He called Jones in ‘What’s going on boss’, said Jones. ‘I need you to act like your arresting Caffrey. Put him in handcuffs the whole nine yards. Andi’, he said looking at her ‘Yea Peter’, she said. ‘I need you to stay here. After Jones has taken Neal I’ll go out and let everyone know what’s going on’ ‘I can do that’, said Andi. ‘Good, Jones, go take him back to his old place.’ She kissed Neal as Jones was putting the cuffs on him ‘This will work’, she said. ‘I know it will, I love you, Mrs. Caffrey’, said Neal. ‘I love you too’, she said with a smile on her face. ‘Mrs. Caffrey’, said Jones all confused. ‘I’ll explain in the car’, said Neal. After Jones had taken Neal out Andi did as she was told & waited on Peter to return from telling everyone what was going on. Some time later Peter came back in & said to her ‘Everything will be fine. Elisabeth would be thrilled to see you. Here, take a cab to my place and stay there until I come home’, said Peter handing her some money for a cab. Sitting in the cab she thought to herself praying that this would all work out.