The Con Man

Chapter Five: Wedded Bliss

Sitting at the Burke’s residence she waited for Elizabeth to come back with some snacks & drinks for them. ‘Here you go’, she said setting down the plate filled with fruit slices. ‘Thank you El, but you didn’t have to go through all this trouble just for me’, said Andi. ‘That’s quite alright and it’s not that much, honestly. I wish Peter would have given me more notice, I could have thrown together some sandwiches.’ ‘No this really is okay El, don’t worry about it.’ ‘Okay, if you say so’, she replied. They both grabbed a slice of banana & began eating. The silence was almost too much & finally Elizabeth looked up at Andi ‘So, what’s new’, she asked. ‘Well, Neal and I got married’, she said moving her hand so that she could see the rings. ‘Oh my! That’s wonderful! Congrats hun’, she said with enthusiasm in her voice. ‘Thank you. It was a shock to Peter as well’, said Andi. ‘I imagine it was. When did this happen’, asked Elizabeth. Andi knew eventually someone would ask. ‘Three days ago’, she said. ‘Three days ago’, she said with shock in her voice. ‘Yea, Neal thought his chances would be better if he came back married. Well at least that’s what he told me when he proposed’ ‘Yea, I think he was just saying that. We all knew eventually you two would end up married’ ‘What makes you say that’, asked Andi. ‘Because, from the time you both met Peter and I both knew you two would end up together’, said Elizabeth. ‘Really?’ ‘Yes, really, Peter said to me one time after you guys had been together about four months those two are going to end up married’ ‘You don’t say?’ ‘Yep, he said that out of all the woman Neal had ever known, he could tell that you were the one he was in love with’, said Elizabeth. ‘That’s nice to hear’, said Andi. She smiled realizing that she probably knew herself that they would end up husband & wife. ‘Once all this is over we’ll have to have a party for you two’ ‘That would be nice and Neal and I would love if you would plan it’, said Andi. ‘Of course, I would love too!’ Andi knew it would make Elizabeth happy to plan something like this, it was the thing she lived for & after all it was the business she was in. They talked about the party & how Andi felt about being married. The conversation eventually turned to Mozzie. ‘So he didn’t come back with you’, asked Elizabeth. ‘Nope, trust me, Neal asked him too. But he felt he had no place here. We both told him he was crazy, but you know Mozzie, he won’t listen to anybody’, said Andi. ‘Don’t I know it’ ‘Yep, were hoping once all this is over Neal can go back to where he is and convince him to come back. Although him and Peter are close, Neal and Mozzie are best friends’ ‘That’s true’ ‘I would hate to see him go without his best friend. He’s my husband and I love him, but I know I wouldn’t be enough. He needs that male companionship’, said Andi. ‘Yep, things will be different for a while between Peter and Neal after all this is done and over with’, said Elizabeth. They were so deep in conversation that they didn’t either one hear Peter come into the house. ‘Hi ladies’, he said. ‘Hi Peter’ ‘Hi dear’, said Elizabeth. ‘What’s going on’, asked Andi. ‘Nothing so far, it’s going to take a while to gain Kramer’s trust. The good news is that everyone is still keeping quiet about Neal. Which by the way he keeps calling me every five minute’s wondering if I’m home yet’, said Peter. ‘Why is he doing that’, asked Andi. ‘He wants to know because I told him once I’m home you can go back to his place’ Just than Peter’s phone rang, ‘That’s probably him, it’s been a whole ten minute’s since his last call. I told him he needs to stop, but he said something about a burn phone’ Andi looked away knowing that it was wrong, but she didn’t care. Peter answered his phone, ‘Yes Neal, I’m home and yes Andi can come home now. Stop calling me’, he yelled. ‘I better go, thanks so much Elizabeth, I’ll be back over tomorrow, if that’s okay’, she asked. ‘Of course, I’d love to have you. We can work more on this party for you and Neal’, she said shooting her husband a glance. ‘Party’, said Peter with confusion in his voice. ‘Good night Peter, good night Elizabeth. See you both tomorrow’, said Andi & with that she left to go see her husband.

When she made it back to the house June was sitting in the library, she decided to duck her head in. ‘Hi June’; she said June turned at the sound of her voice. ‘Hello Andrea, how are you’, she asked. ‘I’m fine. Is Neal upstairs’, she asked. ‘Yes, he keeps running up and down those stairs, I’m surprised he isn’t down here now.’ ‘Okay, well I better get up there’ ‘Of course, good night’, said June. ‘Good night June’, said Andi & than she made her way upstairs. She opened the door & found Neal with his phone in hand. ‘I’m home, you can stop panic calling Peter now’ He set the phone down & walked to her, he swopped her up & kissed her. ‘Did you miss me’ ‘Yes, very much’ ‘Neal it’s only been a few hours.’ ‘For you maybe, but its felt longer for me’, he said. ‘Sorry, I talked to Elizabeth and she said as soon as this was all over she would throw us a party’ ‘A party, what for’, he asked. ‘Um for the wedding they didn’t get to come too’, said Andi. ‘Oh right, that’s nice.’ He was pacing back & forth, finally she walked over & grabbed his hand. ‘It’ll be okay Neal. Peter’s doing all he can, you have to trust him’ ‘I know, I just, I don’t like being away from you’ ‘I know, I’m sorry. But let’s not think about that, what do you want for dinner’, she asked. ‘Doesn’t matter to me’ ‘Alright’, she said. She went towards the door. ‘Wait! Where are you going!? You just got here’, he said. ‘I’m going down into the kitchen to see what there is to eat. You want to come with me’, she asked. He was out the door before she could even get the words out of her mouth. They picked out & made dinner together. They ate with June in the dinning room. After the dishes were done they went back upstairs to their room. Sitting on the couch they watched a movie. ‘So you had a nice visit with Elizabeth than’, asked Neal. ‘Yea, she was happy to hear that we had gotten married’ ‘Yea Jones was a million questions to me’ she giggled a little bit, ‘What? You think that’s funny’, he said. ‘Just a little bit’, she said. The next thing she knew he was tickling her. Before long they were both laughing. It was the first time in days that she had heard him laugh. ‘Let’s go to bed’, he said. It was getting late, he kissed her good night & she didn’t want to let go of him, she wanted to be like this forever