Status: Completed

The Last Time the Rain Fell

Tutor

Jake and I walked into The Dot and sat at a table in the far corner.

“So,” he began once we ordered something to eat, “Why did you move out here?”

“Well, it’s just me, my mom, and our dog so my mom decided that we should be closer to family. I need to be in school so I came a few weeks before she did.” I said, easily lying through my teeth.

“And here I was, thinking you were escaping from some evil ex-boyfriend or something.” he joked.

I faked a laugh and smiled when someone walked towards us, handing me my chocolate milkshake and French fries and giving Jake his over-sized sandwich.

“I’m sorry,” he began, “But I need to get something straight.”

“Go for it.” I said, dipping one of my salty fries in the shake.

“Your last name is Torres but you look like Adam more than Drew. I thought they were step-brothers.”

“They are step-brothers but honestly they’re closer than most other siblings. My dad and Drew’s dad are brothers, me looking a little like Adam is actually just a coincidence.”

“Well, that’s not complicated at all.” he said, making me laugh a bit.

After about an hour, Jake and I were walking towards my front door hand-in-hand.

“Well, I had a great time tonight on our ‘not-date.’” he said as I leaned against the door and he moved in closer to me, his hand pressed on the wood next to my head.

“So did I.” I said, blushing a bit at how close he was.

I placed my hand on the back of his neck and we slowly inched closer towards each other. From what I could tell, he was about to close the distance between the two of us when the door opened and I was pulled in by Drew.

“Why must you always ruin my fun?” I asked him.

“You’re the one that made Adam and I promise that we would help you if we thought you were going to end up falling for someone.” Drew began, “Now I’m going upstairs to take a shower, please keep your lips to yourself.”

I smiled and shook my head as I watched him walk upstairs. I slowly stepped towards the front door, only opening it when I heard the bathroom door shut closed and the lock click in the chamber. I pulled the now retreating Jake towards me by the back of his shirt and brought his lips to my own.

“Goodnight, Jake.” I said once we pulled away from each other.

I walked inside and upstairs to see that Drew was somehow already done with his shower. I grabbed something more comfortable than what I was currently wearing and kicked off my TOMS before padding to the bathroom. The mirror above the sink was slightly steamy because of Drew’s recent shower. I stripped down and got in the shower once the water was warm enough, putting my head under the warm water and smiled when the water turned purple and blue because of my multi-colored tips. When the water turned cold, I quickly got out and started drying off. I cleaned my piercings and changed them and got dressed in my pajamas.

“Why don’t you ever have pants on?” I heard Adam ask as I walked to the basement with my dirty clothes in my arms to put them in the hamper.

I turned to see him sitting on the comfortable brown couch alone watching TV and I plopped down next to him.

“Why are you watching this movie,” I began to ask as I put a few pieces of popcorn in my mouth, “You hated it last time I wanted to watch it with you.”

He shrugged his shoulders and moved me around so that my back was against the armrest and he was sitting between my legs with the back of his head resting on my rather large chest and the bowl of popcorn was on top of his stomach.

“Why didn’t you invite any of your friends over?” I asked him.

“Eli and Clare have a date. They’re going to a concert when she gets out of her internship thing. Besides, I didn’t think you would be comfortable with a bunch of people in the house when you get home.”

“You should have invited Eli over then, you know I wouldn’t care.”

Adam moved away from me a bit and looked into my eyes, smirking at me.

“Does someone have a crush?” he asked, playfully.

I felt my face heat up and I shook my head.

“Don’t get me wrong, he’s cute and all, but he has a girlfriend and even if he didn’t I think Jake and I could be going somewhere.” I said.

“He thinks you’re hot.” Adam told me, almost causing me to choke on the mouthful of popcorn, “Then again, who wouldn’t? You’re so fucking ladylike.”

“You’re just jealous because I seduce people with my awkwardness.” I joked, making him laugh a bit.

“What is Jake to you?” he asked when he moved back to his previous position and I started to play with his brown hair, “I mean, what happened to your promise about not falling in love because of what happened?”

“I’m not going to fall in love with Jake, he’s cute and he likes me. I think I deserve to have a small fling, just someone to fool around with that can make me happy. Please let me keep him.”

“As long as I’m always your number one.” he said.

I smiled and placed a kiss on the top of his head, something that was pretty common with the two of us.

“You’ll always be my number one.” I told him, knowing it made him smile.

I turned my attention back to the TV. We watched movie after movie and around ten o’clock I felt my eyes slowly close and I was taken off to slumber land along with the snoring Adam that sat on the couch with me after we had reversed our positions.

“Wake the fuck up!” I heard a voice scream.

The body behind me that was keeping me warm groaned and shifted slightly.

“Drew, get out.” I mumbled.

“Mom and dad aren’t back yet and since they left mom’s car, I’m driving us to school. Get your asses up or you’ll both have to walk to school.” Drew’s voice said.

My eyes slowly fluttered open as Drew’s footsteps retreated out of the basement and up the stairs to the kitchen. I moved out of my comfortable position in between Adam’s legs after unwrapping his arms from my slender body. I walked back up the stairs to my room and quickly got dressed I did my makeup and curled my hair a slightly before walking down the stairs to the kitchen where Adam and Drew sat, waiting for me. We all piled into the car, Drew driving, Adam in the back seat, and me riding shotgun. When we got to school, Drew went in search of Bianca and my hand found Adam’s.

“Why do I feel like this is going to be our everyday routine?” I asked with a calm smile as we stepped into walked up the stairs and made our way to our lockers.

“What,” he began, “Drew walking away and leaving you and I to walk into school and confuse the people that don’t know we’re related?”

I laughed a little before nodding my head, putting my combination in my locker. I heard footsteps behind me and Adam walked towards where they were coming from to greet his friends when hands moved over my eyes.

“Guess who?” the oddly familiar voice asked playfully.

“Someone that doesn’t know I hate being sneaked up on?” I responded in the same tone.

The hands left my face and I turned my head around slightly to see Jake behind me. I smiled up at him and placed a chaste kiss on his lips, his arm wrapping around me from behind and pulling me closer to him. I heard a loud slap and felt Jake stiffen. I pulled away from his to see Drew walking away, hand-in-hand with Bianca.

“So, when exactly is he supposed to warm up to me?” Jake asked.

I smiled and shook my head. The bell rang above us and he intertwined his fingers with my own as he escorted me to class. We sat down where we did the day before and Jake took out his notebook with the half-done work he claimed to have finished the yesterday.

“Mr. Martin,” the teacher began, “Can I speak to you?”

Jake got up and walked over to the teacher’s desk, a slight frown forming on his face while I sat patiently at my desk waiting for him to return. When he finally made his way over to where I sat, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“Apparently I’m failing and it is being suggested that I get a tutor to help me pass the course.” he said, answering my unspoken question.

“I can tutor you; in my old school I had straight A’s. I’m sure I can help you out.” I offered.

He smiled down at me.

“That sounds good. Do you want to come over today after school?” he asked.

I nodded my head at him as the teacher began to talk and I moved to take out my notebook even though I doubted that I would need it since the lesson being given today was pretty simple. I sighed and moved to lean back in my chair and get more comfortable as my stomach grumbled and I frowned, I couldn’t wait until lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment, Subscribe, and Recommend.

Also, please check out some of my other stories.