The Doll Maker

The beginning

Now a lot of stories begin with 'You may have heard a story that started with 'once upon a time, and this is one such as that.. This story is a once upon a time. About a family that wanted a baby. But it is not the tale of Thumbling. This story takes place in a little house not too far from yours.

Once upon a time there was a man and a woman, Mr. and Mrs. Doyle; these two desperately wanted a child, but they could never have one.
They tried and they tried. Tests were taken, they both should have been able to have kids. The reason they couldn't was simply unknown and left as such. Eventually they began blaming each other.. Constant argument and occasional physical fights. But they stayed together. Their depression was their bond. They loved each other but at the same time they felt empty and numb. As though they were dead inside left with barely basic emotions.

Mr Doyle nearly never spoke. He tipped his hat slightly to the neighbors he passed and nodded, occasionally saying the weather was nice when he actually didn't care. The only days he liked were cloudy ones with a breeze. He could sit on the sidewalk outside of his brick house and think clearly for once without being weighed down by everything. He could enjoy watching the neighbor kids play and not feel the usual hatred he often he had for them. He felt at peace. For once.

Mrs Doyle on the other hand, had taken a turn for the worse. She decided that since she couldn't have an actual child herself, she would do her best to simulate it. She took up doll collecting. She must have had hundreds. She loved the dolls. Mr Doyle however, didn't. They bothered him. She bought only eerily life-like ones. And they were horrid. She dressed them all every day and they each had names. Mr Doyle wouldn't have minded so much if perhaps the dolls had resembled one or both of them. But she always bought ones that looked entirely different. He couldn't understand it.

His thoughts were interrupted by Mrs Doyle bursting out of the house, clutching a small red headed, freckled baby. Mr Doyle thought his name was Jeffrey. "Come on!" she yelled, waving car keys.
"What? Where are we going?"
"To the doll maker! He says he has a new one that we would like! Come onnnnn" she whined.
He sighed, stood up, and walked to the van.
♠ ♠ ♠
There are going to be maybe five chapters to this. It's for a contest.