Shades of Moons

The Fifth

After classes ended for the day, Ganymede caught up with her boyfriend and slipped her fingers into his. "Hey babe," she said, smiling at him. Her long hair that had been annoying intrusive earlier in the day was tied up in a ponytail that swung neatly behind her as they walked.

"There's my favorite girl." Ben smirked at her, knowing that she loved it when he did. "Where have you been all day?"

The girl raised her brow at him. "Benjamin, don't ask such silly questions," she teased.

His nose scrunched up at her use of his full name as they reached his car. Before she could escape his grasp to climb into the truck, he pushed his playfully against the door and blocked her escape. "Don't make me tickle you, Ganymede. I won't hesitate."

His smirk was so large that it melted her heart. "You wouldn't," she said, narrowing her eyes at him.

"What's stopping me?" he tried, moving his hands to her waist.

Since calling a bluff wasn't working, she just shook her head and begged. "Please don't, babe." Her tone was exasperated and sadden. She didn't want him to start tickling her and notice her thickened middle.

"Okay," he offered, furrowing his brow. He kissed her lightly and then pulled her against him as he opened the door. "Something wrong, beautiful?"

She climbed into the seat and fastened herself into the seat. When she looked at him, her hand flattened against her stomach. His eyes were so filled with love and worry that she felt safe, but the influx of butterflies that blossomed in her torso scared her. "Ben," she breathed. She was staring out the windshield. "I'm pregnant."

He put a hand on her thigh and used his other to turn her head. She let him, but her eyes were closed and crystal tears were falling from her lashes. He took a deep breath before speaking. "Why are you crying?"

That wasn't what she was expecting. "I thought you would leave me or be angry. I'm five months pregnant."

Letting out a low whistle, Ben responded, "I'm never going to leave you, baby. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that." She opened her eyes and he wiped the tears out from under them. "I'm not thrilled to be a father, but what high school guy is? That doesn't mean I'm going to be mad or leave. It takes two to make a baby."

"I love you." It was a simple proclamation of her feelings because she was feeling so much more than that.

"With everything?" he asked.

"With everything," she confirmed in their traditional way.

"Forever?"

"And always, babe."