Shades of Moons

The Sixth

At dismissal, Europa went directly to the gym. The school's enclosed pool was connected to the gymnasium through the locker rooms. Humming, Europa quickly pushed through the nearly empty girls' lockers before entering the pool area. Her sneakers squeaked along the wet cement as she crossed the floor toward her coach.

Coach Edward Thim was a tall, dark skinned man with a booming voice and a shiny bald head. He was in conversation with two boys when the blonde approached. Coach Thim spoke, "I understand. Well, let's get you in the pool and see your times. Start warming up. Warren will show you where all the things you'll need are."

Joseph Warren, a Harvard bound senior, was captain of the boys' swim team. His reddish-brown hair was cut short and his tall stature was framed by sleek muscles that ripped under his skin when he moved. The other boy, a short boy with hair so dark it was almost black, was unfamiliar to the girl. Although he was short, he resembled Joey in his sleek muscled body. A swimmer's body is so attractive, Europa thought, watching them as she approached.

"Europa!" Coach Thim thundered; his voice so loud it echoed from the walls and ceiling. "There's my favorite swimmer!"

The surrounding boys paused from their warm ups and looked directly at her. A chorus of greetings rose in the building. Europa smiled in response. This happened every day. "Hello boys," she said, sweetly. She turned toward her coach and the two staring boys then. "Bear!" she squealed happily.

Joseph, or Bear, towered over her by only a little less than a foot and as he swept her into a giant bear hug, her feet left the cement. "Fish!" As much as he hated the nickname she gave him, he let her use it because it was Europa. She was perfect to him; he would let her do anything.

"Alright, you two. Get a room or something," one of the boys shouted from the pool's edge.

Joey set Europa on the cement then, subtly flicking off Samuel Groth. Coach Thim was smiling at them, a knowing smile. Europa's brows furrowed, confused, but before she had a chance to speak, Joey was talking.

The conversation was of no great importance to Europa. She wasn't paying attention but when Joseph's warmth disappeared from beside her, she turned to Coach. "Where's he going?" she asked him.

"Oh boy, Europa. You've got it bad, don't you?" Coach Thim said, still smiling. "You come here every day and pretend like you're doing your homework, but I know you. You do it all in class. Instead, you sit here and watch Warren."

"Pft, where did you get that idea?" the girl sputtered.

The man tapped his temple twice and winked. "My wife looks at me the same way you look at him."

With a sigh, she decided to forget the battle. Edward Thim had known her since she was three years old. He had been her coach at a public pool where she had started her swimming career. "He's just so brilliant, Thim. Plus, have you seen his body?" she giggled.

"He thinks the same thing about you, you know?"

She winked at him and smirked. "Yeah, no need to lie to me." She shook her head as she retreated up the bleachers to her usual spot. Europa pulled out her English book. Resting it with its pages open to a random spot, she pretended to look busy while she twirled her pencil through her fingers. In exactly two hours, Joey would be finished with his swimming and join her on the bleachers. With him, he would bring the wafting smell of chlorine and cologne; that was her favorite smell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be a silent reader. I would like to thank everyone who has already commented. (Guys, Joey is my favorite character).