Status: Short and Sweet

Here

One

Late July 2010

I walked up the brick path to Patrick Sharp’s house in the Lincoln Park neighborhood wondering what I was getting into. It was the first time I was supposed to meet half of my teammates and get to know them at a little barbeque here, but I was nervous.

I rang the doorbell and a cute blond answered the door, “Viktor?”

“Uhh, yeah,” I replied, a little confused.

“Come on in,” she opened the door as wide as it would go, “I’m Lacey,” she grinned.

“Oh,” I walked in and turned to her and held out my hand, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“You too,” her pink lips part into a giant smile and I swore I saw her blush lightly.

“Stalberg?” I heard Jonathan Toew’s voice in the background, “What’s up man? Glad you
found the place.”

I turned to shake his hand and watch as Lacey walked away and into the kitchen. Jon noticed and chuckled, “She’s an amazing cook.”

I just smiled at him as he led me toward the living room where everyone else was talking. I glanced into the kitchen and saw Brent Seabrook with his arm around Lacey’s waist and leaning down to kiss her head.

“Figures,” I thought to myself, “She would be dating a teammate.”

Jon introduced me to all the guys and everyone greeted me warmly. Seabrook walked in and shook my hand, not giving any hints about Lacey, not that he would, but I found myself wanting one.

We all settled in and talked about summer, the upcoming season, and life in general. Lacey walked back into the living room holding a couple beers and handed one to Brent Seabrook. He smiled up at her and pulled her onto his lap. I watched as his arm slipped around her waist and pulled her back against his chest.

“Confirmed,” I thought to myself.

As time went on I found himself in a conversation with Duncan Keith. We were discussing the upcoming season when I caught Lacey leaning against Brent again. Duncan followed my gaze and smiled, “She’s a great girl.”

“She seems nice. How long have they been two dating?” I asked.

“They’re not,” Keith kept his eyes on Lacey and Brent, “You’d think so though, wouldn’t you?”

“Really? I mean yeah, they look good together,” I recovered.

He looked back at me and nodded, “She’s close with most of the guys, but he’s the reason she came into the group. He met her when he first got called up, I think she was a senior in high school still,” Duncan looked like he was trying hard to remember, “Anyway,” he shook his head, “They’re not together. And to be honest, she’s in the market for a good guy. So, if you’re interested then go for it,” he smiled, “I’ll even put in a good word for you.”

Duncan walked away and toward Brent and Lacey. He smiled at the two and I saw him turn more toward Lacey than his line mate. The two walked for a few minutes and I saw her giggle and blush before I made a b-line for the kitchen.

I stood in there, trying to not think about what Duncan had said to her, when I heard Brent clear his throat, “Vik?”

I turned around and swallowed hard when I saw the intense glare in his eyes, “Yeah?”

“You hungry?” he seemed to be avoiding something else.

“Sure,” I nodded at him.

He walked over to me and grabbed the meat; “Could you grab that?” he nodded at the utensils he couldn’t carry too.

I took everything I could and followed him to the back porch. He turned on the grill and set the meat on it after a minute of letting it warm up, “So, Lacey is my best friend,” he began.

“Look, all I said was that she was nice, nothing else.”

“Duncan thinks there’s more to it,” he gave me a sideways glance, “And he’s usually right about this shit, so bear with me here,” he paused, “I’ve never had to talk to anyone about this before, not a teammate at least so I’m a little freaked out,” he let out a nervous chuckle.

“Don’t worry Seabs, I’m not going to…”

“She’s great,” he looked up after setting some steaks on the grill, “She is literally everything a guy could want, including me.”

I froze, Brent did want to be with her. I hoped that my presence wouldn’t hinder any kind of a relationship between the two of them. I handed him some of the other meat and waited for it to sizzle before I spoke up, “If you like her, then tell her.”

He shook his head, “We’ve tried the whole relationship thing,” he shook his head, “Didn’t work out.”

I felt bad for him, he seemed so dejected by the situation with Lacey. I looked at the doorway to see that she was about to walk outside with us, “Don’t worry Brent, she’d never go for a guy like me.”

“Hey boys,” Lacey smiled as she walked onto the porch, “How’s it looking?”

Brent didn’t look up at her, he just nodded, “Great.”

Lacey walked closer to us to survey to food. She squeezed Brent’s arm and he finally smiled down at her, “You want another drink?” she asked us.

“Sure,” Brent told her, “Why don’t you go grab some of the hot dogs Vik?”

Brent gave me a nudge to follow her as she walked away. I walked into the kitchen with Lacey and began to gather the things Brent needed. She smiled at me, “So, you getting along okay with the boys?”

“They seem nice.”

“They’re good guys,” she smiled over at me, “Promise.”

“I’m sure they are,” I smiled too, “You’re close with them, eh?”

“Yeah, pretty close with most of them,” she answered.

“You and Brent are a nice looking couple,” I felt so awkward all of a sudden.

“We’re not a couple,” she stated and walked past me with his drink in her hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for a contest so I hope you guys like it :)

Also, the rest of the chapters are going to be from Viktor's point of view...Just so you know :)

Comments are amazing!!!!