Status: Short and Sweet

Here

Two

December 2011

It was nearly 3 AM and I was stumbling into my condo overlooking the Chicago skyline. I wasn’t drunk, I didn’t have a girl with me, and I didn’t even have an ounce of energy left in my system. I had just arrived back in the city with my teammates after a long road trip that hadn’t gone well. I was in a massive amount of pain and in an even worse mood.

I set my bag down in the closet and hung up my bag with suits, reminding myself that I needed to wake up early enough to run them to the dry cleaner tomorrow-or today, whatever.

I made sure to remain quiet as I padded down the hallway, for what reason I don’t know. I lived alone, but the habit of trying to keep quiet while entering my hotel room always surprised me.

I stopped short of my bedroom door, not wanting to walk inside to the giant, lonely bed awaiting me. I wanted someone to come home to, someone to make me feel better after these excruciating trips, someone to just curl up next to at night. I didn’t have that though and it was my own fault.

I turned the brass door knob and walked into the dark room. I tossed my white dress shirt in the direction of the hamper and hung my lucky light blue tie toward on the hook in my bathroom. I turned on the light to the bathroom and when I turned to close the door behind me I noticed a lump on my bed, almost like someone was under the blankets.

The lump moved and a smile formed on my lips, “Lacey?” I said out loud.

She was lying on the far side of the bed, her side, but she scooted toward the middle, “You’re late,” she said in a groggy voice.

“Snow in Philly,” I told her.

Lacey gave me a sleepy smile and patted the empty space next to her, “Shower in the morning.”

“It is morning,” my path changed and I went right to my bed.

“Then whenever your lazy ass wakes up.”

I stripped out of my dress pants and got comfortable quickly after I tucked her in at my side and her head found its normal spot on my chest. I brushed her hair back and kissed her head, “I didn’t expect you here,” I whispered in case she had fallen asleep.

“Surprise,” she gave me another smile.

“Pretty good surprise,” I played with her long blond hair.

I had a feeling she dozed off but I asked anyway, “Why are you here?” I wanted to know.

“I missed you,” she admitted.

“I’ve missed you for a long time,” I told her.

Her hand drew circles on my chest, “I’m here now.”

“Yes you are,” I found energy to scoot further down the bed to kiss her lips, “God I missed you,” I said against her perfect pink lips.

She put her hands on my cheeks and her fingertips ran through my hair, “I’m so sorry Viktor.”

“No,” I pulled back from her.

She gave me a panicked look, “Vik.”

“Don’t apologize,” I gave into her scared demeanor, “I just want you to be here, with me.”

She leaned on her elbow and her hand went to my cheek. I felt her tracing one of my many scars on my chin, “I am.”

I closed my eyes and relished in her touch, the feel of her against my body. I kissed her thumb as it brushed my lips, “I don’t want to argue right now, I don’t have it in me.”

“I don’t want to argue either,” I hurt Lacey’s feelings, I could tell by the sound of her voice.

I felt her move away from me and then the bed shift, letting me know she got up. I opened my eyes and saw her moving around the room. She was wearing one of my t-shirts and a pair of pink panties, a look I loved on a woman. I sat up quickly, “Lace, come back to bed.”

She turned to me as I turned the lamp on next to my bed. She was crying, she looked like she had probably cried herself to sleep too. I threw the sheets off of me and my feet hit the floor in one swift movement. I was behind her, holding her around the waist in seconds, “I’m glad you came over,” I whispered against her ear, “I needed to see you baby, I wanted to see you.”

“It wasn’t a good idea,” she stated.

“Come back to bed Lacey,” I kissed her neck, “We can argue all you want to in the morning. After that,” I kissed her shoulder, “We can make up all day long.”

That caused her to snort, “You have a way with words Stalberg.”

I brought my hands up to her neck and gave her shoulders a squeeze, “You know it baby.”

She turned and hugged me, “I’m sorry, I’m just edgy.”

I tucked her head under my chin, “Shh, bedtime. We’ll talk in the morning Lace, I promise.”

“It is morning,” she teased me with my own words.