Status: Short and Sweet

Here

Three

December 2011

I woke up the following morning to the smell of bacon eggs cooking in the kitchen. I smiled as I got out of bed. I brushed my teeth quickly and washed my face, noticing that there were a few extra things in my bathroom; girly things. That meant Lacey was going to be here for a while and that meant that I would get more time with her.

I walked into the kitchen and put my arms around her waist, “Morning,” she reached back and touched my face.

“Good morning,” I pulled her shirt up and let my hands wander over her stomach.

I was still holding onto her as she put the food onto the plate. I didn’t want to bring up the
incident from last night, but it needed to be addressed. If she had been crying before I upset her then something was going on and I assumed I knew what it was.

“Do you want to argue?” I whispered in her ear.

“Hmm, maybe after breakfast,” she put her hand on mine.

“I don’t want to fight baby,” I kissed her ear, “Can we just skip ahead to the making up?”

“We need to talk,” she said in an unreadable tone.

I closed my eyes and let all the topics she could have wanted to discuss flow through my brain. We talked all the time; we talked about stupid shit, our hopes and dreams, everything except the elephant in the room: her relationship with my teammate.

Her and Brent had been screwing around for years, long before I arrived in Chicago, and were still doing it. I knew about it probably three weeks into knowing her and I still let myself get involved with her. Honestly, in the beginning I didn’t care; all I wanted then was her, and I would take her whatever way I could get her.

February 2011

Lacey smiled at me from across the room and I melted. She was wearing a tight pink dress with her hair straight and falling down her back. I saw Brent lean down and kiss her cheek and probably whisper how beautiful she looked tonight, because he should be telling her that every second of every day.

Since her and I met, we had become close. We would talk about everything and give each other advice and we had inside jokes that others would never understand; we were best friends. I wasn’t sure how or when exactly that happened, but I wasn’t going to complain. If it was the closest I got to her without having her, I was going to have to be okay with it.

It was Valentine’s Day and I briefly wondered if Seabs had done anything for her. Obviously no romantic evening was planned since he had brought her to the ‘singles’ party us guys were having at some trendy club. If she was with me, I would have whisked her away on some romantic night. Maybe gotten a hotel room out of the city, ordered a bunch of room service, and made love to her all night.

Son of a bitch, this woman was turning me into some kind of sap. Making love, what the hell was that? I think the last thing I had done that was even remotely close to having such an intimate moment with a woman was taking her to an expensive dinner, only to find out how much she hated he food the next day when she told everyone on the internet about it.

It wasn’t that I was slacking in the female department, Chicago had its fair share of gorgeous women who were just dying to be with a foreign hockey player, but none of them were exactly my type. Beautiful and smart were easy to come by, but gorgeous, intelligent, hysterical, and approachable didn’t seem to find me too often.

“I’m telling you, just ask her out,” Kaner hit my arm, “What’s the worst that could happen?”

“Seabs would murder me on a road trip, dump my body in some icy lake, and no one would find me because it’d be in Canada and the ice doesn’t melt.”

“You’ve thought way too hard about that,” he shook his head, “that means you really like her.”

“That means I’m certifiably insane.”

“And that,” he chuckled, “But from the looks of how tonight’s going, I don’t think Seabs is going to be too upset if you at least ask her to dance,” Pat nodded into the sea of people.

I scanned the crowd and saw Brent awkwardly dancing with some skanky looking girl and vomited a little. There Lacey was, a beautiful, classy woman who obviously cared about him and there he was taking yet another whore’s fantasy to the next level. He was a fucking idiot.

“Just a dance,” Kaner said again as he walked away.

I took the last swig of my drink and then a deep breath. I found Lacey talking with Jon and smiled, he was harmless when it came to her, all he wanted was to make sure that she was okay all the time. I’m sure the kid had a crush on her or did at one point, but now it was completely platonic.

I walked up and held out my hand, “Dance?”

Jon took her drink from her before she could answer. She shook her head but gave me her tiny hand, “You better not step on my feet.”

I lifted her hand up and put my hand on her back as I walked behind her, “Wouldn’t dream of it Princess.”

When we were out in the crowd she turned to me, “Good Valentine’s Day?”

“It’s looking up,” I gave her, what I hoped, was a winning smile.

She looked behind me and shook her head, “Another one bites the dust,” she nodded.

I turned and saw that Kaner had dragged some unsuspecting girl onto the floor and was dancing with her next to Brent. I laughed at the awkwardness of the picture and then turned back to her, “How about your Valentine’s Day, anything that could make it better?”

“There’s a few things that could,” she smiled up at me.

Dear sweet Jesus make me one of those things.

“And what would they be?” I set my hands on her hips, keeping them high enough so she wouldn’t either freak out or I wouldn’t look so creepy when she said that someone else could make it better for her.

She gave me a sheepish smile and ran her hands up my chest to the buttons on my shirt. She undid the top one and smiled, “Seeing you actually is making it better.”

Holy fucking shit, she’s seriously saying this right now. To me.

I was glad the lights were low so she couldn’t see me blush as hard as I was, “I’m here.”

“You’re always here,” her smile turned sweet, “Always.”

One hand stayed on her hips and my other went around her back, pulling her closer to me. “I’ll always be here Lace.”

“And we’ll slow it down for all of you couples out there for this next song,” the DJ announced.

Lacey didn’t move and neither did I as an old, slow song blared through the speakers. I smiled when I realized it was one my parents used to listen to when my brothers and I were kids, some Frank Sinatra song.

I moved my hand from her hip and took one of her hands that was still on my chest. I held it there, but held it in my hand, never wanting to let it go.

We danced quietly until the song was almost over, “Why are you so sweet?” she asked me.

“My parents raised me right,” my cheeks were hurting from smiling so much.

I felt her thumb rub my hand so I lifted hers to my mouth and kissed it. She put her head against my shoulder, “I hate you right now,” she told me.

“Why?”

“Because you’re making it impossible,” she looked at me again.

“For what?” I leaned closer to her ear.

Lacey backed away from me completely, but still held my hand in hers. She led me back to the VIP area and grabbed her bag, “I think it’s time to go,” she told me.

I took my jacket from the chair, “I was thinking the same thing.”

The two of us didn’t say goodbye to anyone, we just left, hand in hand. She stood outside for a moment until I put my arm around her waist, “My car is over there,” I pointed.

I led her to my car and helped her in so that no one would get a free show from the short skirt on her dress. She thanked me with a smile and I bent down at the open door. I reached inside and touched her face, “Happy Valentine’s Day,” I moved my head inside the car to kiss her.

I felt it as soon as our lips touched, it was that feeling that everyone described to you when you asked about their first kiss with the love of their life. I wasn’t sure Lacey felt it until I felt her hand on my shoulder run into my hair.

I opened my mouth and hers followed, but no tongues got in the way just yet. I just memorized her lips, wanting to take in this entire moment and never forget it.

Lacey pulled her head back, but only an inch or so, and placed her forehead against mine. Even though the kiss wasn’t fast or overly passionate, we were both breathing kind of hard. I brushed her hair back from her face and off her shoulder, “If I were him, I would have taken you away for the night,” I whispered, “He has no clue what he has Lacey.”

She nodded with her forehead still against mine, “It’s no big deal,” she opened her eyes and looked into mine, “I would have loved that though.”

I looked at my watch and saw it was too late to get a hotel room without it looking like a one night stand. I pursed my lips together, “Next time we have a couple days off we can get a room and pretend we’re away, or go somewhere close by, would you like that?”

Lacey nodded again.