‹ Prequel: Tonight, We Are Young
Status: just starting out ... <3

I Never Told You

Chapter 11

I ran downstairs after Bea yelled for me for the third time. I stopped in the living room and saw the whole family in their ‘game spots.’ I took mine, beside Bea, and I watched as the pre-game just begin. I had my phone clutched in my hand. I quickly typed a text to Gabe.

Good luck. Score for me ;)

I wasn’t expecting a reply, at least not until the game was done. This was the last game of the season. While the Avs weren’t going to the playoffs, they still wanted to go out with a bang. My eyes went back to the screen, where I saw Gabe on the screen taking part in a pre-game interview. I was a little ticked off at the interviewer, Pierre McGuire. Rather than asking Gabe about the game, he was asking him what he would do in the off season.

“I’m going to go home as soon as I can. I miss my family and friends terribly. I know that sounds sappy or whatever. But, that’s my answer…at least, until training camp starts again in September. However, tonight, we got one last fight on our hands. We’re not going to the playoffs, but we’re not finishing the season as losers, either.”

I smiled at his answer. I looked over at Bea and we shared a smirk.

During the first intermission, I ran up to my room to grab a textbook. When I came back down, Bea sighed in my direction.

“Seriously, Katy? It’s game night. Can’t homework wait?”

I shook my head. “We have finals next week. I want to be prepared. Gabe knows. When the second period starts, I’ll close the book, promise.”

She rolled her eyes at me.

“I think that’s a smart idea, Katy,” Tony said looking over at me from his seat. “Where’s your textbooks, Beatrice?”

She looked between me and her father, before finishing with a mock glare in my direction. “See what you started, smarty pants?”

I chuckled lightly to myself and dove my nose back into my book.

The Avs did indeed leave the season with a bang, but not the good kind. They lost 6-1 to the Predators. It wasn’t a fun game to watch, but in a way I was happy it was over. It’s not that I didn’t like watching Gabe play, but he had called me to complain about plays that he shouldn’t have made, calls that were overlooked by referees and everything in between. He needs a break from it all, to think about what he can do better next season and improve on that here. And a little part of me is selfish that he’s coming home to see me.

After we cleaned up the living room, mostly the popcorn that Bea and I threw at the tv after the Predators scored a goal, I went up to my room to study some more. While I was highlighting some notes I had to remember for my final, I heard my phone go off. I saw Gabe’s name on my screen and a small smile appeared on my face.

“Hey.” I wasn’t sure what to say.

“Hey, you watch the game?”

“Of course, I did.”

“Oh, well, I wasn’t sure. I know you have finals coming up…”

“Gabe… I still watch your games. If you don’t feel like talking about the game, it’s okay with me.”

I heard him sigh softly. “I just want to come home.”

My heart broke for him. “I wish there was something I could do…”

“You listening is enough. Soon, you’ll have to put up with my moping in person. You ready for that?” He let out a soft chuckle.

“I can’t wait to see you again. I don’t care if you’re moping or hyper as hell.”

“I miss you. I think I’m going to call it an early night. I’ll call you tomorrow?”

“I miss you, too. Have a good night’s sleep. Talk you to tomorrow.”

I hung up the phone and began to get ready for school. I change out of my pajamas before leaving my room to knock on Bea’s door. She answers, also changed into a change of clothes, with a smile on her face.

“You want to carpool?”

I nod. “Yes, please. I know you have to be at school before me, but I have a study group to get to.”

She rolled her eyes. “You really need to stop saying that word in this house. You’re making me look like a slacker.”

I chuckled. “Sorry, but I want to be happy with my marks before I enjoy my summer.”

Bea walked into her room and quickly grabbed her book-bag before walking with me to my room. I put the books I needed for the day into my backpack and we made our way downstairs. After waving to Cecelia, Tony was off somewhere, Bea and I were out the door. Getting into the car, Bea turned to me with a serious look on her face.

“So, have you thought about it?”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “Thought about what?”

“Well, you signed to live with me and my family for your first year. It’s almost over. So, what now?”

I ran a hand through my hair and turned my gaze to look out the front window.

“I……I don’t know.”

She reached over and clapped my legs a couple of times. “Hey, I’m sorry to stress you out, but I just thought that you had thought about it a little bit, since you have everything in order, usually.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Well, I was so focused on my studies and Gabe, that I totally pushed it to the back of my mind.”

I thought back to the piece of paper that I saw in my room sticking out of one of my binders the other day. I only had less than a month left in Sweden.

I had that thought now stuck in my head all day at school. I couldn’t think of anything else. During the study group, Nik nudged me, brought me out of my trance. I shook my head and looked at him.

“You okay? You look kind of spaced out.”

I gave him a small smile, trying to hold back what I really felt. “Yeah, I’m fine,” I stood up from my chair, “I just need some fresh air, if that’s okay.”

He, as well as the rest of the group nodded. I got out of my chair. I leaned against the wall right outside the door and closed my eyes. How can I leave now? What will I do? What about Gabe? What about…? I slammed my fist against the wall and let out a low growl while tears began to slowly fall down my cheeks. I collected myself, wiping my cheeks and making sure that my face wasn’t too red before walking back into the room. When I walked through the doorway, Nik raised an eyebrow at me. I shook my head, giving him a small smile before sitting down.

The longer I stayed at school, the more I didn’t want to be there. I couldn’t focus. My mind was focused on nothing more than what I was going to do after I left this place. Would I still be with Gabe? Would I have a career? Would I move back in with my mom? Where would I go?

I wasn’t sure of anything, and being at school wasn’t helping my rapid thoughts. I sent Bea a text that I went back to the house. She tried calling me moments after I sent the text, but I ignored it. I just wanted to get back to the house and have my thoughts to myself.

Making it to the house in record timing, but paid a bit too much in cab fare. I wasn’t too worried about it, though. I ran into the house, right past Cecelia and straight into my room. I began to look around, thinking what I could start to pack away right then, and what could wait. I decided to do something my mom always taught me.

“Go from the bottom and work your way up,” I whispered to myself.

I looked around at the floor and there wasn’t much there that could be packed right away. I looked at my dresser and shook my head. I needed my clothes. The pictures on top of it, though, caught my eye. I walked over to them, and began to pick up each one. I looked at the one that Bea took of me and Gabe at the beach. It brought a saddened smile to my face. Thinking of Gabe, I decided to give him a call. Looking at the time, he would just be getting out of bed. I dug in my purse for my phone. I saw that I had four texts from Bea. I didn’t read them. I just dialed Gabe’s number, praying he would answer.

“Katy? Is everything okay? You’re supposed to be in class right now, aren’t you?”

I sighed. “Gabe, what am I going to do?”

“Do about what?”

“I leave Sweden in a month. Well, I supposed to, anyway. I’m only here for the one school year.”

He sighed. “I totally forgot about that, too. What are your options?”

I sighed as I ran my finger over the picture I had in my lap. “I don’t even know. I don’t have a place to live here, and I’ll be out of school. I’m going back home, I guess.”

I felt the tears well up in my eyes again. I wasn’t ready to think about this just yet. I knew I had to one day, but I thought I had more time. I loved living with Gabe’s family. Knowing that I was going to be leaving all this behind was heartbreaking. I didn’t hear Gabe respond, so I asked him again.

“What do you think I should do?”

I heard him softly sigh, and I could just picture him running a hand through his hiar.

“Well, the first thing you should do is put that picture back,” I picked up the picture that was in my lap. Then, I saw a hand reach over, placing itself over mine. Then I heard his voice in my ear again, only this time it sounded like it was in surround sound. “That’s my copy.”

My gaze travelled from the hand that was on mine, up the muscular arm that it was attached it. My eyes widened at the sight of the arms. I knew those arms. My gaze travelled up further until I saw the face. I stared in shock at the piercing blue eyes staring into mine. I dropped my phone from my ear and the picture on the floor as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I didn’t want to let go, thinking this must have been some dream.

I pulled away from him slightly, but only to feel his lips crash down on mine. I felt his hands slide down to my hips and pull me a close as I could possibly get to him. Pulling away, I placed my forehead on his.

“What are you doing here?” I whispered, still in slight shock.

“You broke my frame.” He smirked.

I ran a hand through his hair before placing another soft kiss on his lips.

“I’m so glad you’re here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
GABE'S BACK!!!!!!
Sorry you all had to wait for an update. But I have many ideas for upcoming chapters and only three weeks left of school. I'm hoping to push out a couple more before school ends, though.

Thanks for sticking with this story.

<3 steph.