‹ Prequel: Tonight, We Are Young
Status: just starting out ... <3

I Never Told You

Chapter 4

“So, when did this start?”

Cecelia had brought me and Gabe into my room. Gabe and I were sitting on my bed while she stood in front of us. It was hard to read her facial expression. She could’ve been happy for us, or disappointed in Gabe, I wasn’t sure. Gabe looked over at me, then up at his mother to answer her question.

“We were seeing each other casually during the summer and kept in touch since I left home.”

She took in Gabe’s words and looked over at me, as if to ask me if he was telling the truth. I nodded.

“We lost touch a little bit because of our schedules.”

“So, were you two ever going to say anything? Or were you hoping to keep it a secret from all of us?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but before words could escape my mouth, I heard Gabe speak.

“We’re not trying to hide it at all. We just don’t want too much attention drawn to it. We’re just trying to see where it’s going right now. We don’t want to say anything to anyone unless we know it can work. It will be hard when you guys go back to Sweden, but we’re going to try and see how it’ll all work out.”

When he finished his little speech, he looked over at me with a small smile. I looked into his eyes and could feel the smile grow on my face.

“Well, I hope you two know what you’re doing.”

And with that, we watched Cecelia leave the room. I looked over at Gabe with a look of confusion.

“So….what does that mean? Is she okay with it?”

Gabe shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. I’ll talk to her.”

“Okay. The last thing I wanted to do was put a rift in your family.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabe’s POV

I didn’t know exactly what to say to Katy. I wasn’t sure what was going through my mom’s head.

“Well, I don’t think it’s anything bad. If anything, I think she’s just trying to wrap her head around it. The last girlfriend I had it was a girl that I met after a game, not someone that my mom had actually taking a liking to.”

She gave me a small smile. I reached over and gave her hand a light squeeze.

“I’ll be right back.” I stood up from the bed and walked out of the door. I didn’t mean to leave Katy like that in her room, but I wanted to talk to my mom about her behavior just minutes prior. I walked toward the kitchen, but stopped part of the way there, hearing my name being spoken in a hushed tone. Leaning a little closer to the doorway, I identified one voice as my mother’s. The other, I didn’t hear much of, so I couldn’t could a face or a name to it.

“Bea, honey, I’m telling you, they’re together.”

Well, that confirms who she’s talking to. I thought to myself as I leaned my back against the wall beside the doorway, careful to stay out of the view by either one of them.

“Well, I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. I mean, ever since the summer, I could tell there was something between them.” I heard Bea say.

“Well, why didn’t you say something to me? I feel so out of the loop.”

I didn’t know how much I wanted to hear, but before I turned and made my way back to Katy’s room, I heard Bea ask a question I wanted to hear the answer to.

“So, what did you say when they told you they were together?”

”I just said, I hope they know what they’re doing.”

I heard one of them sigh, then Bea spoke.

“Oh mom.”

“What? What did I do?”

“ You do realize that was one of the worse things you could say, right?”

I had to admit, I was happy to see Bea on my side. I would’ve thought that she would’ve tried to do something to tear me and Katy apart, but here she was, telling our mother “off”, so to speak.

“Why is that such a bad thing to say? I do hope they know what they’re doing. It’s gonna be hard for them once we go back to Sweden with Katy and leave Gabe here, you know.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katy’s POV

I sat on my bed, wondering where the hell Gabe had disappeared to. I didn’t know if it was quote en quote “safe” for me to leave the room. I walked towards the door and was about to open it when I heard my phone go off. I walked over to the bed side table and picked it up. Looking at the caller ID, a smile appeared on my face. I quickly answered the call and laid down on my bed.

“Hi, Mom.”

“Hi sweetie! How’s Colorado?”

I pondered on the thought of telling her about me and Gabe. I guess I got too caught up in my thoughts, because my mom began to scream my name through the phone.

“Oh, sorry. It’s good. We’re all at Gabe’s for Christmas Eve.”

“Oh, that’s nice. So, are you going to tell me what’s bothering you, or am I going to have to bait it out of you?”

I couldn’t help but smirk. She always knew when something was wrong. The thought that she could possibly sense that something was wrong, giving her the intent to call, popped in my head.

“It’s nothing, Mom.”

“Katy, I think I know you well enough that when you space out over the phone for almost 30 solid seconds, that it’s not nothing.”

I sighed. “It’s just… well, Gabe.”

“What about him?” I heard her gasp. “Oh my goodness, sweetie, you like him!”

“Well……it’s not just that.” I paused. “We’re kinda seeing each other.”

“Oh, and I’m guessing there’s some conflict there?”

I ran my hand through my hair and began to indulge my mom in the story of Katy & Gabe: So Far. She was shocked to hear that it started in the summer and she was never informed about it, but she quickly got over it. While talking to my mom, a huge realization waved over me.

“What if it doesn’t last?”

“What’s that honey?” I pulled the phone away from my ear and raised an eyebrow at it. I didn’t realize that I had just spoken my thought out loud. I quickly tried to recover and change the subject, but my mom wouldn’t buy it.

“No, honey, I heard you. You said ‘what if it doesn’t last?’ Are you talking about you and Gabe? The only people who can determine that are you and Gabe.”

I sighed. “I know that, but we were keeping it secret to see if we liked each other enough to make it last. When I go back to Sweden, I want to know that I won’t be leaving him brokenhearted, or leave brokenhearted myself.”

“You mean like he left you?”

“That was a completely different situation, mom. Neither one of us spoke our feelings.”

I heard my mom begin to ramble on about how I would be justified in leaving him brokenhearted, but I zoned out as I heard the bedroom door open. Looking up, I saw Bea.

“Uh, Mom, I gotta let you go. We’re about to start a movie marathon. I’ll call you later, okay?”

After we said our goodbyes and I told her to wish everyone a Merry Christmas for me, I hung up the phone. I looked up at Bea with a small smile on my face.

“Hey, what’s up?”

She returned the smile and sat down on my bed. “So, rumour has it that you and Gabe are official now.”

I looked at my hands in my lap. “Yeah, I guess.”

“What’s with a long face? My mom told me that you two said you were dating.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know.”

“Well, aren’t you happy with Gabe?”

I sighed and leaned back, my head touching my pillows. “I don’t really know if I’m with him or not. Other than what we had in the summer, which was just a fling, and the one kiss we shared before today, we aren’t really together.”

“Well, we’ll just have to change that, won’t we?”

I sat up slightly, leaning on my elbows and looked up at her with an eyebrow raised. “What do you mean by that? Please don’t push us together, I don’t want that. Remember that we go back to Sweden in 5 days.”

Bea rolled her eyes. “I’m well aware of when we’re leaving. I am also aware of the chemistry between you and my brother.”

I ran a hand over my face and through my hair. “Bea, please. I don’t want to be pushed. That’s why we were hiding it. Yes, I know it was wrong, but we wanted to see where it would go.”

“I understand that, but you could’ve told me. You know that I’m always here for you.”

I smiled at her. “I do know that, and I thank you for that, but I didn’t really feel comfortable telling you about my feelings for your brother. In fact, I still feel a little uncomfortable about it all.”

She sighed and laid down on her stomach beside me. “You know what? Why don’t we just get through the next two days and go from there, yeah?”

My smile grew a little bit more. “You mean, you won’t interfere or try and push us together?”

She shook her head. “I promise I won’t. I know what it was like with Erik. I was friends with his sister and while that worked out for a little while, in the beginning it felt rushed and awkward. So, I won’t push you guys together. However, I can’t say the same about my mom. I will try and stop her though.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabe’s POV

After Bea walked past me, towards Katy’s room, I walked casually into the kitchen. Seeing the smile on Bea’s face gave me slight hope that my conversation with my mom would go somewhat smoothly. I walked over to her and casually grabbed the bowl she was using and began to mix the eggs for the omelets. She let out a small sigh. Before giving her a chance to really say anything negative, I jumped right in.

“So, are you going to tell me what that was all about?”

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about, Gabriel.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, come on, Mom. You know exactly what I’m talking about. ‘I hope you two know what you’re doing’? What did you mean by that?”

“I mean just what I said. Long distance relationships are hard enough, but adding in the schedules you both have and the time difference, that just adds to it.”

“I get that, Mom. We both do, but you came across like you completely against the idea of Katy and I together.”

She sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder. “Oh honey, I didn’t mean that at all. I was just a little caught off guard, that’s all.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

She nodded. “Yes. I mean, I admit, a part of me wondered what it would be like if you found a girl like Katy, but I never thought about the idea of you actually being with Katy.”

I let out a soft sigh. “Well, if I’m being completely honest, we’re not officially together.”

She snapped her head up at me, her eye wide. “What? What do you mean by that?”

I put my hands up in defense. “Hey, don’t get mad. I just mean that other than whatever we had in the summer, we’ve kissed once, well technically twice, and that’s it. I haven’t officially asked her to be my girlfriend. Hell, other than a few text messages, I have hardly seen her since you guys got here.”

My mom’s facial expression changed. I couldn’t exactly read it, but I was a little scared. She had a smile on her face, so that had to be a good sign….right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katy’s POV

Bea had finally left my room, and I was left to ponder if I could leave myself. I could feel my stomach rumble and placed my hand on it. I was so hungry. After a short deliberation in my head, I got up off my bed, and left my room. I walked towards the kitchen. Turning in through the doorway, I stopped abruptly. I looked up and saw the wide eyes of both Gabe and Cecelia. Clearly, I had just walked into a conversation that I was not supposed to be a part of or hear. I walked over to the fridge and opened it.

“Oh, Katy dear, brunch is almost ready.” I turned my head to see Cecelia smile at me. I gave her a small smile back.

“Oh, thank goodness. I’m starving. What are we having?” I asked while I looked over at the stove.

“Omelets, bacon, sausage, toast, and hashbrowns.” Gabe answered in his best “waiter” voice. I couldn’t hold back the giggle that was sitting in the back of my throat.

“Gabe, honey, can you go tell your father and Beatrice that the food is almost ready and they can come out to the table?”

Gabe nodded slowly and looked in between me and his mother. I was a little apprehensive to be left alone with Cecelia after seeing the look on Gabe’s face. Gabe backed up towards the doorway, leaving me with a small smile before he disappeared from my line of vision. I turned to Cecelia, who gave me a small smile. I averted my gaze to the floor as I heard her began to speak.

“Listen, Katy, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea about what I said to you and Gabe earlier. I didn’t mean it in a bad way at all. I just don’t want to see either one of you hurt when we have to go back to Sweden.”

I moved my eyes up at look at her. I saw how sincere her face was and all the apprehension I felt before had slowly begun to diminish. I didn’t want to be mad at her, or be terrified of her, but after what she said, a part of me felt like she was about to plan a way of getting me out of her house once we got back to Sweden.

“I’m not sure how much Gabe had told you, but there’s not a whole lot of relationship to base the hurt on.”

She nodded. “He told me, but there are feelings, yes?”

I nodded slowly. “Yes, many. I just don’t want to get into too deep unless I know it can last.”

I saw the smile on her face grow as she put an arm around my shoulder. “I knew there was a reason you were sent to us.”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “I’m not really sure what you mean, but okay.”

She chuckled. “You are perfect for Gabe. Not to mention, you’re the first girl that he’s brought home, no pun intended, that I liked and could see Gabe having a future with. Gosh, my grandbabies are going to be so cute. ” My eyes widened. Your grand…what?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabe’s POV

I was sent to get my dad and Bea to tell them brunch was ready. I knew that mom wanted to apologize to Katy, but at the same time, I also wanted to talk to Bea. I walked up to her room, knowing that my dad would just go running to the kitchen as soon as the word ‘food’ left my mouth. I knocked lightly, and waited for Bea to answer the door.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Well, Mom sent me to tell you that brunch is almost ready, but I’ve got to talk to you.”

She smiled and opened her door, silently inviting me into her room. I walked over and sat on the foot of her bed.

“So, what’s up?”

I looked up towards her. “I need your help.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go!! )))) I'm sorry this took so long, and I'm sorry if this didn't live up to expectations from where the last chapter left off, but there's a method to my madness, I swear.

Thank you to all that have subbed, recommended and commented. You guys make writing this story much more fun.

Hopefully, I'll be able to update once more before I move away for college.

Steph <3