The sewage of youth drowned the spark of my teens

This is the End

“I would love for Symptoms of The Heart to be on Decaydance.”

And that was that. It was all we needed to hear. Our shitty lives were now about to get a lot better. We must have all still been frozen silent and Pete noticed.

“Or not. If you guys don’t want-”

“Yes!” We all shouted.

“We would love to join decaydance.” Rachel replied speaking for all of us, but we agreed. It was our dream. We shook his hand and set up a time for us to figure things out. We loaded up my van with our equipment to take the load off of Rae’s tiny car. Ryan, Sara, and Brendon rode with me. When we got home our apartment was filled with screams and banging on the walls from neighbors. We stopped and started doing happy dances.

“This calls for a celebration!” Sara yelled. We couldn’t help but agree. We decided on Taco Bell so I could quit as we walked out.

The next few weeks were spent getting a contract worked out, writing new songs, teaching Chip, and remembering why this is what we love. Looking back on all of this, I can’t help but smile. The crazy stuff we did; the tears we shed. It was all worth it. After a year of being on Decaydance there is not one regret that any of us have. But there are some nights when we play packed venues that I remember the five person crowd, who didn’t know who we were. I remember the PB&J’s we ate for weeks on end because it was all we could afford; the late night shifts at crappy fast food places to afford college life. After all that we have been through, we haven’t changed. We never will.

We have been asked if it’s worth it. I just smile and say, “Every moment, every screaming fan, everything. There is no place I’d rather be then on that stage with the three best people in the world.”