Status: Completed. Feel free to comment.

Close Call

7 PM – “More wine, Milady?”

Evan looked at David as he absentmindedly fiddled with his food. She understood the reasons for his despair – watching his best friend be accused of murder and not being able to do anything about it, and just watch him be taken away, powerless. Horrible. She kept observing her date as she took a sip of wine. She prayed for something to happen, something that would get the conversation going and let the situation be less awkward. Words and sentences floated in her head but never reached her lips, the fear of involuntarily hurting him being too great. Her wish was granted quickly enough: a young waiter broke both the silence and the dishes as he tripped and hit the floor in a loud thump; the whole room filled itself with laughter.

“He reminds me of someone.”

David snapped out of his daydream upon realizing he had been spoken to. He cracked a smile at Evan’s remark, letting the memories from Henry’s similar fall during Rick’s birthday party fill his mind. They faded away quickly though.

“I’m sorry Evs… I keep thinking about Ricky… I still can’t believe… How could he?”

“Don’t beat yourself up too much… I can’t pretend to know how you feel, but I’m here if you need someone to talk to…”

She paused, her warm smile transforming into a playful smirk.

“This date is lame! The next one better be better than this.”

“I apologize, Milady. More wine, Milady?”

He signalled a waiter to bring them another bottle.

“Trying to get me drunk, are you?”

She giggled and looked into his eyes.

“I would never dare!” – he blushed.

“You better not. I might call the police on you if you misbehave.”

David seemed to feel guilty about laughing.

“You don’t have to mourn him, you know. I understand you miss him, but don’t prevent yourself from being happy because of that. He wouldn’t want that for you.”

“I know… But I feel betrayed though… I mean, I was convinced it was that Jamie kid…”

“Oh no Jamie would never… I mean he was a kid. He wasn’t even 16. A boy could never pull that off.”

There it was again – that odd instability in Evan. She looked at him worriedly; he kept eating, undisturbed.

They kept talking for a good 20 minute, joking about people in the service or previous cases they’d worked on. A waiter interrupted them to take their order regarding dessert. David took this occasion to excuse himself to the bathroom. Turning around the corner, he pulled out his phone, dialing Henry’s number. His boss picked up as David pushed the door to the men’s room.

“What is it this time?”

“Good evening to you too. Are you still at the station? I need a small favor.”

“I was about to leave, what do you want me to do?”

“Could you please get my flash drive in my office?”

“You want me to go in th- never mind. Yes, I’m there.”

“Okay, it’s in the top drawer. Once you have it, you’ll see a filed labelled ‘Jamie Lead’ – yes, I have a file on the witness. Click on it, and you’ll find a message.”
The silence at the end of the line let David know his boss was looking through the file.

“David, this is evidence agai-”

“Don’t you think I tried? The kid’s got Parkinson, no straight cut. Now check out that e-mail. Can you trace the address? I was about to but I dropped the lead when I found out about the shaking. Also, please try to find his sister. And check his money incomes; he probably has a separate account… Someone from his family maybe.”

“So what makes you think having me check would help in any way?”

“I’ve got my reasons. Anyways, I have to go, I’m on a… date… with Evan. Text me if you find anything.”

“Good for you mate! So you guys finally hooked up! The bets were starting to rise at the office!”

David giggled and hung up the phone, then headed back to his dinner table just in time to see his dessert arrive. He thanked the waiter, digging in his chocolate mousse like a 6-year-old. Evan giggled as he extended his arm towards her with a spoon of mousse and a bright smile. She felt butterflies in her stomach upon feeling his fingers brush against hers as he claimed his spoon back.

As they finished, David paid the bill – as any gentleman would – and they left the restaurant. They walked through the dimly lit streets of the city until they reached a park. They sat down by a pond and watched the sun as it hid behind the trees. David felt Evan’s fingers intertwine with his. As this happened, his phone vibrated in his pocket – probably Henry. He pulled her closer to him, her head now resting on his chest, then proceeded to discretely check the message while nuzzling her hair and rubbing his thumb against the back of her hand. Where are you? He quickly typed the words “Pond Park” and slipped his mobile back in his pocket.

The night slowly took over and the first stars began to appear in the sky. How cheesy. He offered to grab them a drink and, as she nodded in approval, got up and headed to the snack shop they had passed on their way there. As he came out, he saw a police car passing by and turning around: Henry’s.

“Where’s Evan?”

“She’s waiting in the park. I was getting us drinks. Why?” – he paused – “You mean it checks out? Damn, I was hoping it wouldn’t… There’s no mistake?”

“Take me to her.”

They headed back to the pond and found Evan there. Henry went up to her and arrested her. They drove back to the station and questioned her. They pulled her bank records and pointed out the payments she received from Mairet, as well as proof that she had planned to meet her brother in the park. David felt horrible, having been tricked like that by this woman – Evan Lead. She had framed his best friend and dared tell him she was there for him. Fucking bullshit.

“Why drag your brother into this though? Wasn’t framing my best friend enough?!”

“Well I’m fucked anyways, so might as well tell you everything and cut myself a deal. I was supposed to meet Jamie in Greenwood Park – you saw the e-mail – to give him some files he needed for a project. I’m not supposed to have them, and I have no contact with my family so we met there so they couldn’t be traced back. Anyways, as I saw Jamie on the bench, I felt someone grab me: Mairet. I was sort of blackmailing him into giving me information on some of the products he sold to the navy to sell them to… the highest bidder. (I sort of slept with him and threatened to tell his wife. I know, this is so cliché!) We ended up arguing and it came to hands, so I slit his stomach. Except Jamie was still waiting, so I pulled my hair up under my hat, grabbed a pen and drew scars on my face, and ran – made sure he could see me, not recognize me. When you found him, he was probably still waiting for me, too scared to run away or something… That’s probably while he came down to the lab to see me. That’s also why he wouldn’t say a word. Anyways, there, you have it. And here’s the deal: I have a deal going down in two days. Major cell. I’ll tell you where and when if you cut my sentence down.”

Henry slapped her, shocking both Evan and David. Needed to get it out. They could always shorten the sentence from life for manslaughter, obstruction of justice and treason to 50 years with early release if she behaved. He told her he didn’t have the authority to do so, but it could be done if they talked to the right people.

Neither David nor Henry really believed what had just taken place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well the story is done. Gonna write a short chapter for the reunion, but I hope you liked the plot twist. I might rewrite this chapter, because it's a bit rushed, but yeah...