Status: This is my first story on this site. I hope you enjoy it; feedback would be amazing.

Wake Me up When My Story Ends

Lonesome in the Library

Alexa’s attention darted from her parchment to the door, seeing only a house elf enter. Shaking her head, she returned to her potions essay on the effects of Veritaseum. She disregarded her action as being skittish but truthfully she was expecting Draco.

All Alexa’s done for days has been reading in the library, intermittently adding homework in to spice things up. Occasionally Draco would drop in to do some of his own homework or read a book, the Quidditch section was extensive, but they never spoke. Through the wide windows, sometimes she would spot him playing Quidditch alone in the distance. He always looked so lonesome around the house but neither of them dared to approach the other.

Alexa dabbed her quill back in the ink, tediously continuing to scribble lines of gibberish. She had already written a paper similar to this was as a fourth year; Snape clearly had nothing better to do than torturing his students.

Flamboyantly dotting the end of her last sentence with a period, Alexa dropped the quill and stretched her cramped arms, comfortably collapsing in the armchair. Sighing happily, Alexa blew on the parchment to make sure the ink was dry and rolled it up, sealing it a thin ribbon. She dropped the scroll on the ground next to her chair and leaned back in the plush cushions once more.

Her eyes mindlessly scanned the dull ceiling, pausing at every corner. There was nothing to do. She couldn’t wander the house during the day in case Narcissa came home, Draco hadn’t asked her to play Quidditch again and she wasn’t about to invite herself out there, and not even the house elves would converse with her without fainting. This was the most boring Christmas break she had ever gone through; even McGonagall’s preaching would be better than this. She had expected to constantly be tormented by Draco all break but he wouldn’t even speak to her. Shooting back insults has never sounded so good.

Alexa lied down horizontally on the light green armchair, her head and legs carelessly dangling over the ends. At least in a few days this would be over. Tomorrow was New Year’s Eve and they get to return to Hogwarts on the second. Then she would be surrounded by people who wouldn’t judge her at every glance. Ever since she’d gushed to him Christmas night, Draco hasn’t given her any of his trademark disgusted glares. Everything was so different here and she couldn’t wait to go back to normality.

Two large, plum orbs appeared in front of Alexa’s unfocused stare, jolting her.

“M-Miss Yaxley, lunch is r-ready,” a shabby house elf announced, trembling in fright before Alexa. Alexa sighed, mumbling her quick thanks before the house elf scampered off.

Softly groaning, Alexa rose while sweeping her hair over one shoulder. Picking up her Potions textbook and essay, she yawned and sleepily left the room, wisely resolving not to explore the house later that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is one of the more dull chapters but I wanted to show a bit more to Alexa's "vacation". To be honest, with this story I'm trying to fix my habit of writing very drawn-out and slow-starting romances and I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fast. (In one story, the romance didn't even really start until halfway through the sequel haha) Feedback on this would be great but thank you for reading regardless.