Status: This is my first story on this site. I hope you enjoy it; feedback would be amazing.

Wake Me up When My Story Ends

Challenging Malfoy Pride

“So Alexa,” Narcissa put down her utensils and pleasantly smiled over the table to Alexa. Alexa didn’t know whether or not to continue eating her lunch, weighing the risks of wasting food versus speaking with her mouthful, and suitably set down her fork while Narcissa continued, “In case you haven’t noticed by now, we are hosting a gala here tonight beginning at six. Do wear a lovely dress and please be gracious to all of the guests.”

Ah, Alexa realized, matching Narcissa’s firm gaze, She doesn’t think I’ll play nice with more Slytherins.

Thankfully, Alexa was blessed with a rare Gryffindor skill called self-control. It allowed her to hold her tongue and behave politely even with people she loathed. Poor Fred and George were cursed to live without it, as their detention records exemplified.

Alexa’s sarcastic thoughts momentarily distracted her from the main problem at hand, “Er, Mrs. Malfoy, I didn’t bring a dress…”

Narcissa stilled, eyeing the uneasy Yaxley in a fleeting shock. Swiftly recovering, she realized she shouldn’t have been surprised that Alexa came unprepared. The Yaxleys had warned her about Alexa’s behavior after all, “No matter, I’ll place a rush order from Twilfitt and Tatting’s for you.”

“Thank you, I’ve just got to go and get my money from upstairs-“ Alexa moved to get up but Narcissa’s stern glare froze her in place. Hypnotically sitting back down, Alexa watched Narcissa rise from the table herself, effectively concluding lunch.

“Don’t insult us Alexa, consider the dress another Christmas present,” Narcissa said while Alexa meekly smiled, mumbling her thanks. That was close; Alexa had nearly slurred the infamous Malfoy pride.

Narcissa left the room, presumably headed to further decorate some other area of the house as she has been doing all day. Alexa got ready to leave as well when she noticed Draco still silently eating, most like because he was tardy to lunch from flying outside.

Alexa crossed her legs under the table, politely waiting for Draco to finish eating. She didn’t want him to dine alone.

While his eyes were focused on the plate beneath him, Alexa took this chance to observe him. His cheeks were still pink from the cold outside, his hair messily sticking up in different directions probably due to a hat. Luckily, Narcissa hadn’t noticed Draco’s leather Quidditch gloves. He had forgotten to take them off before lunch and she would’ve been upset if she had seen them at the table.

Draco abruptly raised his gaze from his food, glaring at a startled Alexa, “You don’t have to stay here you know.”

Alexa’s soft words stunned Draco as well, “I didn’t want you to eat lunch alone.”

Recovering from his fleeting surprise, Draco narrowed his eyes at her before absorbing himself in his food once more. He paused after a few violent chews, quickly swallowing with the goal of getting Alexa to leave strictly on his mind.

“I don’t need anyone, I’m used to being alone,” Draco darkly said, glaring at his food underneath his bent head. The fact that he had lost his third snitch this morning didn’t help quell his anger; his father was going to be furious.

Alexa tried to dignifiedly compose herself in the chair, face and all, but she couldn’t keep from sympathetically watching him continue to eat. She clearly understood what he meant, having witnessed him wandering the house alone and occupying himself with solitary tasks. This was the first time she’d learned something depressing about him, he’d witnessed her bawling after all, so she resolved not to leave regardless of his words.

Steadily, Alexa began to glean more and more from his words. Even at school, he was still essentially alone; after all, Crabbe and Goyle don’t exactly make compelling company. Blaise Zabini wasn’t the model of understanding either. Being an only child, Draco must have grown up alone and become so accustomed to it that he pushed anyone worthwhile away, whether through mindless hate or house bigotry.

Draco peeked up from his plate to see Alexa’s caring regard, tipping his fury. Curtly standing, he pushed the rest of his plate away and stormed away from the infuriating girl.

Seething, he sank within his irate thoughts, Who does she think she is giving me her pity?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it (I must sound like a broken recorder.. wow, does anyone even use that comparison anymore?). Just so you know, I won't be able to post a new chapter for almost a week due to a family vacation. Things start getting a bit more edgy next chapter. :)