Status: This is my first story on this site. I hope you enjoy it; feedback would be amazing.

Wake Me up When My Story Ends

Birthday Bash

Carefully descending the steps in her treacherous heels, Alexa self-consciously tugged her strapless gown up. The silver dress was very snug, tightly hugging her torso. The neckline jutted out with asymmetric, stiff, shiny ruffles that were probably fashionable in some remote European country. The bottom half loosely hung past her hips, shimmering and rippling every step she took.

This dress must have cost a fortune, Alexa both admired and griped. Now she was further into indebted to the Malfoys.

Mentally noting to thank Narcissa for the dress later, Alexa reached the bottom of the staircase, satisfied that she hadn’t fallen. She didn’t notice that Draco was nearby until he settled on the ground next to her, having easily caught up to her in his dark leather shoes.

Draco briefly glimpsed to his left, promising himself that he would only glance at Alexa. His eyes remain frozen on her body though, unwilling to look away. He had seen her from the back while walking down the stairs and the way she had been gracelessly stepping was horrifically endearing. While she looked nice from the back, in more ways than one, she looked even better from the front. His mother had clearly matched the outfit to her steely blue eyes and harmonized them successfully. Alexa had put her dirty blonde hair up in a classy bun, a few loose locks forming ringlets that framed the sides of her face. With the additional make up, she looked nearly unrecognizable.

“Er, Draco,” Alexa said, wary of his odd look, but resourcefully took this opportunity to ask him a question that had been bugging her ever since lunch, “What exactly is this event for?”

At first, Alexa had figured it was going to be a New Year’s Eve party. Considering the date, it seemed like the forerunner. The first thing that first tipped her off against that theory was that there were no New Year’s decorations. That could easily be marginalized at an aristocratic party though, so she couldn’t put much count in that theory. However, that observation spurred doubt and Alexa soon realized the dessert was a large birthday cake. The many layers and rings of candles distinguished it from any average celebratory cake. Nonetheless, Alexa couldn’t conclude anything from that having never attended a Malfoy event herself. The last hint came when she followed a house elf carrying chardonnay into the kitchen and saw the drinks: not one sparkling beverage. Even the wine didn’t cater to a New Year’s event; every upper class family knows which wines to serve when, after all Alexa’s father taught her it all at a young age.

The doorbell suddenly rang, the dreary melody filling the entire manor. Draco motioned for her to walk and they both made their way to the entrance hall as he answered her question, “They’re celebrating the Dark Lord’s birthday.”

Alexa’s heart nearly stopped when she absorbed what he had said, Draco’s nonchalant tone initially throwing her off. While she could only briefly relish in the fact that Draco implied he wasn’t rejoicing You-Know-Who’s birthday himself, anxiety quickly overwhelmed her. Would He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named be attending tonight?

Her anxiety grew to terror as she saw Lucius and Narcissa warmly welcome an eerily familiar dark-haired witch into the house, accompanied by another recognizable Death Eater. She cocked her head towards the nearing pair of teenagers, smelling fear.

Bellatrix Lestrange and Alexa Yaxley locked eyes, one full of malice, the other full of fright.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a short chapter but the next one will be much longer, no worries. Haha, well I hope you enjoyed it, thanks for the feedback! Actually, I wanted to say something. Notice how at the end of the chapter Alexa is afraid- one of the recurring themes in this story is Alexa not being a typical Gryffindor. While I try to get my point across with her family line, her intermittent fear is not how I'm trying to express it. Some readers have personally told me that sometimes Alexa doesn't seem like a Gryffindor and I can see how they might interpret that. Thing is, all Gryffindor's are not fearless. Ignoring Neville's case, they all have something that terrifies them. In this case, Alexa is terrified of the Dark Lord. Voldemort is mortifying as is but coming from a Death Eater family, she's grown to revere his power as godly. Everyone is afraid of Voldemort, given, but Alexa expresses it more often (especially in the Malfoy Manor) due to the fact that she also battles with it while trying to please her parents. In a way, she also fears her parents absolute disapproval.

Basically, Alexa gets scared but so do all of the other Gryffindors. I don't want my character to be some brash, stereotypical Gryffindor OC who is absolutely fearless. Everyone has fears and she's no exception. Of course like the other Gryffindor's she'll learn to overcome her fears but don't be so surprised that she has them to begin with.

Sorry for the small rant but again, thanks for reading~