Status: This is my first story on this site. I hope you enjoy it; feedback would be amazing.

Wake Me up When My Story Ends

Monster Mash

Finally, Narcissa staying home and decorating the house all day made sense. If the house wasn’t lavishly furnished before, it certainly was now. Everything was shiny, even the carpet glimmered in the precise lighting, and the furniture had nearly doubled in amount.

Alexa senselessly stroked the rim of her wineglass with her thumb, rooted in the most remote corner of the living room. Most of her nerves disappeared as soon as she had found out that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wouldn’t be attending his birthday celebration himself. That man was a criminal of the worst caliber and she wouldn’t be able to hide her resentment from him.

There was seemingly light chatter filling the room but Alexa knew better than to listen in to the dark plans being exchanged. While the information could be useful to the likes of Dumbledore, Alexa wouldn’t dare rat her parents, or their friends, out. She was already a disappointment to begin with, she didn’t want to become hindrance as well.

Keeping out of everyone’s way, Alexa apprehensively observed the guests at the party. She recognized a few from wanted posters, such as Avery and Rookwood, but others stood out without her trying, namely the Lestranges.

Crabbe and Goyle were here, flanking Draco’s every step, along with their Death Eater fathers as well. Even Theodore Nott was notably slinking around the manor.

Ever since the first guest entered the house, Draco has gone even further out of his way to avoid Alexa. If they were ever in the same room together, he would leave. If they crossed each other in the hall, he’d look the other way. The efforts he went to segregate himself from the Gryffindor were wounding, especially since Alexa had figured them to be moderate acquaintances by now.

Whatever, Alexa rolled her eyes, eyeing a nearby ancient portrait that was glaring at her, It’s not as if I wasn’t expecting this.

“You’re Yaxley’s daughter right? The Gryffindor?” a vindictive voice spat and Alexa turned to see Bellatrix Lestrange standing indignantly before her. Her husband, Rodolphus Lestrange, stood behind her, scowling at Alexa.

Alexa’s eyes nervously darted to Narcissa Malfoy who was mutely watching from the other side of the room, helplessly looking for any indication of how to reply. She knew Narcissa wouldn’t want to create a scene but Alexa couldn’t just blow off her sister. Thankfully, most of the guests hadn’t noticed Bellatrix speaking to Alexa yet, still mindlessly prattling away within their own coversations, but a few heads were turning.

Bellatrix continued slurring at Alexa, tipsily waving her wine glass in her hand, “Your parents were so disappointed when you went to Gryffindor. Poor Lyssandra, she was heartbroken by your nasty little rebellion.”

Gryffindor!” Bellatrix howled before Alexa could begin to register her words, hysterically shaking her head, “Of all houses, Gryffindor!

These shrill words were thankfully familiar to Alexa. She was able to practice her indifferent expression every summer to date whenever a guest at the Yaxley house would similarly crack. The last things Alexa needed now were furious tears and a retort to match.

By now, nearly everyone in the room was staring at the two of them, most nodding their heads approvingly while Bellatrix spoke. A familiar pair of grey eyes appeared near the doorway as well, the young Malfoy witnessing the dispute from afar.

Alexa tensed as Bellatrix jabbed her glass at her, slightly flinching when the wine spilled down the front of her dress. She noiselessly endured Bellatrix’s shrieks, her resigned gaze locked below Bellatrix’s crazed eyes, face blank.

Bellatrix continued slandering Alexa, trying her best to break Alexa’s stoic demeanor, “And here you are, walking around like a little whore in your little fancy dress,” Bellatrix spat on Alexa, sneering at the impassive girl. Narcissa lowered her eyes, her mouth thin, refusing to speak upon Alexa’s behalf for the dress she had purchased herself, “You disgraceful freak.”

A wicked grin spread across Bellatrix’s face when Alexa winced. Even though the term ‘freak’ was commonly thrown around Alexa, the agonizing sting never disappeared.

Alexa took a deep breath, glancing at the troubled host across the room once more. Respectfully acknowledging that this was their Malfoy event and not another Yaxley one she could ruin, Alexa resolved to leave the mess she’d created from only following her heart to her Hogwart’s house.

Alexa raised her chin, fixing her stature to one of a true Yaxley, and soundlessly moved past Bellatrix. The assembled crowd cleared a path for Alexa as she left the living room, softly brushing shoulders with Draco at the doorway, and she sped down the empty entrance hall as soon as she was out of view. By the time she reached the stairs, she sprinted up them, ignoring the searing pain in her feet.

Hidden in her dark room, Alexa kicked off her shoes while throwing a window wide open. The frigid air immediately chilled her, causing invigorating shivers all over her body. The briskness cleared her mind and she gratefully gulped the sweet air.

Leaning against her windowsill, Alexa’s eyes roamed the surrounding landscape, trying to distract her knocking thoughts. Even though the frosty air was beginning to numb her exposed skin, she wouldn’t dare step away. Right now this fresh air was the only thing keeping her from going downstairs and smacking Bellatrix Lestrange across the face, inside the Malfoy Manor or not.

“You freak!” “You little bitch!” “Disgrace!” “Rot in hell!”

Unable to repress them, all the insults from her past swam through Alexa’s head. These words weren’t new, so why did they upset her?

Squeezing her eyes shut, Alexa clutched her head tightly within her hands. Why did everyone hate her so much? It’s only a school house for god’s sake! Why was there so much hate in the world to spare on her?

Glaring furiously at the snowy ground outside of the house, Alexa shook in fury. It just wasn’t fair. She hasn’t done anything to warrant hatred like this! If it were her choice, she’d be in Slytherin just as the lot of them; the Sorting Hat plainly wouldn’t listen to her pleas.

If only I was like them… Alexa sadly stared out at the night sky, the bright stars mocking her with their vibrancy, If only I wasn’t such a screw up…

She didn’t cry, she was done crying. She’s wept more in the past week than she had in in a few years. Tears didn’t bring her parents’ pride back.

Alexa heard a faint rapping but disregarded it as noise from downstairs. She could hear that conversation had resumed, the voices laced with laughter. They were probably laughing at her woe, if not directly making fun of her themselves.

Bitterly sighing, Alexa glowered into the distance as a pale hand appeared on her shoulder, gripping it loosely.

Stifling a scream, Alexa immediately unlatched it from her shoulder, pushing the intruder away. Stumbling backwards, the back of Alexa’s calves hit the windowsill and she began to fall backwards through the open space.

Tumbling out of the window, Alexa wildly waved her arms, trying to grab onto anything. Her adrenaline was pumping throughout her body, her survival instincts kicking in. The cold, windy air was already aggressively whipping at her body when a warm, sturdy hand grasped her own.

Dangling loosely over the house, Alexa looked up to see Draco reaching through the window. With his strong grip, he pulled her back up to the windowsill, grunting inaudibly while doing so. Alexa grabbed the ledge with her free hand, assisting his effort by trying to pull herself up as well.

Before she could sit on the windowsill and turn herself around, Draco heaved her inside, grabbing her within his arms. Quickly moving Alexa over to her bed, he laid her down, hastily scanning her for any injuries.

“Bloody hell Alexa,” Draco breathed, exasperatedly running his hands through his bleached hair. Both of their chests were heaving from the adrenaline but Draco recovered faster.

Examining Alexa again, Draco paused on her face. Coming up here, he’d expected mascara to be running down her cheeks along with her tears but she looked just as breathtaking as before, if not more so. Her bun had come undone so her windswept wavy locks fell past her shoulders and spread in different directions on her bed. The moonlight only made her skin glow more, her radiance rivaling the moon outside.

“What. The. Hell.” Alexa exclaimed, sitting up on her bed. Her tight, now multicolored dress made movement on the bed uncomfortable but she ignored it, vehemently glowering up at Draco.

“What the hell?” Draco asked in disbelief, his eyebrows raised at the livid girl, “I just saved your damn life!”

“I fell out of the window because of you,” Alexa snapped, still irritable from her dispute with Bellatrix. She crossed her arms against her chest, both in a stubborn gesture and to warm herself, “Why’d you even come up here, don’t you have a party to host?”

Draco was completely taken aback by Alexa’s retort. Here he was, stealing away from the festivities below to check on her, and she’s treating him like this? He came up to make sure she hadn’t jumped out of the window or something and as it turns out, she did.

“Imbecile, I came here to check up on you, for good reason too apparently,” Draco muttered the end, matching Alexa’s glare. How daft could she be? She nearly killed herself!

“I’m fine. You just caught me off guard that’s all,” Alexa’s frown turned into a thin line as she shifted away from Draco’s intense stare. She involuntarily shivered, hugging her body closer, goose bumps apparent all over her skin.

“You didn’t look fine,” Draco said in a gentler tone, referencing what had happened downstairs. He leaned against the wall in between the two windows, hiding within the shadows.

She fidgeted under his knowing gaze, immediately looking up at him with wide, concerned eyes, “Really?”

“You can use that indifferent charade as much as you please but your eyes always give you away,” Draco’s expression softened when she saw Alexa’s dejected face. Clearly, she believed she had been withstanding completely.

Alexa sighed, unsure whether to be resentful or thankful that someone had finally noticed her pain, “… I’m used to this sort of thing, really.”

Draco didn’t speak; he had nothing left to say. Apart from being chilly, she was physically fine. Besides, he couldn’t help her mental state much anyway, that’s not his job to begin with. Alexa was bodily intact and that’s all his father cared about.

“… You should change,” Draco announced, watching Alexa tremble when another gust of wind blew in.

Alexa nodded, silently heeding his words. She got up from the bed and walked over to the dresser, her bare feet lightly padding against the carpet. Against his better judgment, Draco eyed the zipper on the back of her dress, wondering if she’d need help with it.

Alexa pulled out her usual nightwear, slightly smirking as she signaled Draco to turn around. Huffing embarrassedly, he turned his back to her and occupied himself by shutting the window. Latching the lock closed, he waited for Alexa to tell him to turn.

Minutes gradually passed while Alexa still said nothing. Unwilling to speak up, he craned his neck a few degrees and peeked over his shoulder.

Alexa wasn’t by the dresser anymore; she was sprawled out on her bed, book in hand. Seeing Draco’s irked expression, a devious grin crossed her lips. She was in a much better mood now.

“I have to go back,” Draco said, shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his black trousers.

Alexa nodded up at Draco, sending him a faint, grateful smile. Whether he likes to admit it or not, there’s a lot more to him than he likes to show.

Alexa tugged the chain on the lamp near her bed, the muted light barely enough to illuminate the words in her book. Draco tried not to watch her too closely, letting his eyes float around the room yet somehow they always drifted back to her. Thankfully, he wouldn't see her dressed in that outfit after tomorrow night because it was overwhelmingly endearing.

“I’ll bring some food up for you later,” Draco promised, moving towards the door. He’s wasn’t particularly looking forward to going back downstairs. Crabbe and Goyle were already asking so many questions concerning Alexa that they were getting hard to shake. For some reason, he didn’t want to tell them about the Alexa’s father being a Death Eater. She’s fought hard to keep it hidden for so many years that it didn’t feel like his secret to tell.

“Thanks,” Alexa smiled wider at Draco. She was still puzzled about the aloof boy, sometimes he seemed to care and other times he didn’t, but it was a confusion she could deal with. At least for now, she’ll figure him out eventually after all.

Alexa watched Draco leave and before he closed the door, she swore she saw a subtle smile gracing the Malfoy’s lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello loves, thanks for the support. I'm going away for another week for a camp so I hope the long chapter makes up for it. Thanks for reading~

((And yes, this and the last chapter have rhyming titles. ;D))