‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

Of all of the things that she's ever said,

"No?" He looked at me completely shocked. "He kicked you out. Where are you going to go?"

"Can you take me to Greta and Kris' place? My keys are in the house." He ran his hand through his arms.

"You break up with your boyfriend, but we still can't be together?" I could picture the steam escaping from his ears. "I don't understand. Did you not just tell me you wanted to be with me?"

"Of course! I also told you it was going to be difficult no matter what happened. Can you please just take me to Greta's?" He stormed off to his car, not saying a word. I followed him and we both got in the car.

The ride was awkward, to say the least. I had so much I wanted to tell him. Sid meant more to me than he understood, but I was afraid saying anything right now might upset him. Anger and hockey players were two words I did not want to see anywhere near each other.

When Sid pulled up to Greta and Kris' house I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I slowly unbuckled and slipped out of the car. "Thanks for the ride." I tried to smile, but I knew it looked forced.

"When can I see you?" His voice was filled with desperation. I had never seen Sid look so down. He so much to smile about, but here he was looking like he lost the most important thing in his life.

"I'll let you know." I shut to door and walked up the steps to the front door of the house. Not wanting to wake Braydon, I knocked several times. Looking over my shoulder, I could see Sid still parked in the driveway. His eyes never left mine.

"Anne? What are you doing here? Come in, it's freezing out." Kris was rubbing his eyes and let out a yawn. I hadn't notice the cold. There was too much on my mind.

"Thanks. Is Greta around?" I tried to look around to find her in the rooms close by.

"She just fell asleep. Braydon's been keeping her up lately. What's up?" He led us over to the living room and sat on the couch. I sat on a single chair and faced him.

"Can I stay here tonight?" Tears formed in my eyes. I didn't want to get so emotional about this, but I couldn't help it.

"Of course. The guest room's already set up." we sat in silence. "Do you want to talk? I'm here if you need to."

I looked at him, "Uh, Charlie and I broke up. Is it alright if I go to bed? I'm tired." I didn't want to talk about this now. Kris just nodded his head.

I went to the bedroom and didn't even take the time to pull off all over the covers. I slid under the comforter and placed my head on a pillow. I couldn't sleep; not with everything that happened tonight. All I could see was Sid's face in the car. He wasn't losing anything. I just needed to get away for a few hours. Then, maybe, everything would work out.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little longer chapter, but now we see why Anne said no. Any thoughts?