‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

saying love was an illusion of a hopeless heart.

I was just about to leave for work when Sid came out of our bedroom. He had just woken up and had been complaining about a headache. "You need to take some Advil or something." I grabbed my phone off its charger and placed it in my purse.

"I'll be fine." Sid moved to the fridge and grabbed some orange juice. I walked up behind him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Sid, if you aren't feeling well, maybe you shouldn't play tonight." His body tensed up. I removed my hand and moved back to my purse.

"I can't just take a day off! It doesn't work like that!" Sid turned and looked at me. His face was red. He had never spoken like that before.

I slammed my hand down on the counter, "What if sitting out one game is what you need to get better? You're willing to risk that to play a game that isn't extremely important."

He looked at me in disbelief. "Not important? Every fucking game is important!" We had never fought before; not like this. We fought over little thing: where to place pictures in the living room, what type of sheets to get for the bed, and other minuscule things. Never had we been full out yelling. I was on the verge on storming out of the house and just forgetting the whole thing, but I wanted needed him to see my side.

"But is one game worth it to you?"

"How do you know that a day off would cure this all?" He abandoned his breakfast and moved closer to me.

"I don't, but how do you know one day won't help?" He stayed quiet and I moved to grab my purse. My voice still held its anger, "Have a good day."

He reached out and grabbed my wrist, "Are you coming to the game tonight?" His voice was desperate, almost begging for me to say yes.

"I don't know, I have a five thirty appointment with someone. It's already going to be a long day." I looked at the watch on my wrist. I had to be to work in fifteen minutes. "Sid, I need to go." I tried to get out of his grasp, but he still held on. I gave him a pleading look.

"I'll let go if you come to the game tonight."

"I'll be late but I'll be there." I tried to turn away but he still had a grasp on my wrist. I turned to look at him. Sid just innocently tapped his lips with his index finger and I smiled.

I gave him a kiss and he finally let go of me. I grabbed my purse off the counter and ran to the door. He called out, "I love you! No speeding! I don't need to be dating a criminal!"

"I love you too. And no promises!" I got into my car and I was finally on my way to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, the next chapter is going to be interesting...