‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

Of all of the things that she's ever said,

I franticly looked my watch. 8:03. I would make it in just in time for the second period to start. I was walking fast enough to attract the attention of anyone who passed by.

My appointment had ended at seven, half an hour later than it should have. I shouldn't complain because I get paid for extra time, but it was one of those days I just wanted to leave the office.

I got into the arena and found my way to the suite. Greta was sitting with Braydon talking to Vero. "Hey, sorry I'm late." I kissed each of Vero’s cheeks and sat down. I adjusted my skirt and sat down next to them. "I had to work late."

"Not a problem," Vero replied, "I was just getting up. I need to talk to a few of the ladies about another project. Auevoir!" I turned my attention back to the game.

"How’s it going so far?" I looked at Greta but she just stared at me. "Is something wrong?"

"We need to go to the bathroom. Now." I didn't say anything as she grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my seat.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately after entering the empty restroom.

"Anne, there's blood," she glanced down towards my legs. She was right. My dark skirt had covered most of it from view, but it had started to travel down my legs.

"Shit." Something was wrong. I went into a stall and cleaned myself up. "We need to go to the hospital." Greta nodded her head and we raced back to our seats.

"We can take my car. I don't want you under any more stress as it is." I bent down to grab my purse when the crowd was quieter. I looked up to catch the replay of Sidney getting hit by a Tampa Bay player. Dear God let him be okay.

"Anne, let's go. He'll be okay." Greta grabbed my arm and we left the suite as quickly as we had arrived.

***

I couldn't stand another minute there. I had tried my best to hold back the tears, but as soon as Greta came into the room I broke down.

The baby was gone. There was nothing that could have been done to prevent it. The doctor had claimed that it happens. Sometimes women don't even realize they're pregnant and have a miscarriage and have no idea they lost anything.

Sure, I hadn't been thrilled at first, but the baby was a part of me. I had already started to fall in love with something I had never even seen. For it to all be taken away hurt me more than anything.

Greta took me home and got me into bed. It was almost eleven o clock. Sid showed up about twenty minutes later. I could hear Greta outside the bedroom door explain to him what had happened.

The bedroom door opened and I felt the bed shift. Sidney grabbed my body and my head moved to look at him. "I'm sorry. The baby..." my voice trailed off and I couldn't finish my sentence. His eyes softened. I knew I looked horrible; I had been crying for hours. But Sid looked just as bad as I did.

He leaned in and kissed me on the forehead. He let go of me so I could go back to my original position. Sid was lying next me with his arms around my waist. No words were spoken between us. There was too much hurting going on. Hurting that may take more time to heal than either of us want to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...