‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

but you can't explain a love like ours.

"Hold down the fort!" Emma called out. "And I’d really appreciate it if you cleaned up a bit!" I tried to ignore Greta’s younger sister.

"Whatever, just go save people's lives. I'll make dinner." I switched the channels on the TV. I heard the door close and I changed the channel again. I was lucky Emma had a spare room for me. She was almost through with getting her nursing degree. I was glad she had a full schedule so she couldn't get all the details between me and Sid.

The episode of Friends was one I had seen before. There was a knock on the door, but I let it go. I had on a pair of athletic shorts and an old Minnesota Twins t-shirt. My hair was pulled back with a clip.

The knocking continued and I finally got up. "Geez, I'm coming." I opened the door without looking through the peephole and I froze. "Sid."

"Can I come in?" He shifted nervously from his left foot to his right. I opened the door wider and he walked in. Sid slipped out of his shoes and met me in the living room.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I got some help from Greta."

I swore under my breath, "She promised not to tell you..."

"I guessed. She never told me. I knew you were Minneapolis, but I didn't know exactly where. I had Kris' help on that on."

We sat there for awhile, neither of us wanting to say anything. When it finally became unbearable I spoke up. "You can't just come waltzing back in here. I left for a reason."

"I understand that. It took me a few days to realize it." He moved closer to me on the couch and grabbed both of my hands. "I want you. I need you. I need you in my life. I love you."

I wanted nothing more than to pull him close and kiss him. I wanted to be back in his arms and not have a care in the world. But something was holding me back. "Sid..."

"I know are relationship had a few bumps, but it happens. I tried to have faith that you would come back. I prayed that you would show back up one day after realizing what a mistake you had made.

"But that's just it. You didn't make the mistake; I did. I let you walk away and did nothing to stop you. I should have let you in after the baby and the hit. I don't know what I was thinking. All I know is I want you back."

The tears I had been holding back the last few days came out in a waterfall. I pulled Sid into my arms and he started rubbing my back. "I mean it Anne. I need you."

I pulled away far enough to see just how emotional he was getting. I could see the excess water in his eyes that was threatening the spill, but never did. "I need you too."

"Come back to Pittsburgh with me?" I pulled back and looked away.

"I don't know..."

"If it's your job I can get you one with the team. I'm sure Mario needs someone..."

"I didn't quit my job. I just took a few days off." He looked back at me confused. "I didn't know exactly what was going to happen, so I left most of my stuff at Greta's."

"So you'll come back?" Sid's eyes sparkled with hope. I nodded my head. A grin formed across his face and he pulled me in for a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too."

There was a knock at the door and Emma poked her head in, "Are you guys still clothed?" She held a hand in front of her eyes just in case.

"I think you might want to come back in a few hours," I called out. Sid just let out a small laugh.

"Gross! Just make sure you clean up and what not!" We heard a door slammed and then let out a fit of giggles.

"She's going to hate me for that." I looked back at Sid; the smile was still on his face.

"I don't care. All that matters is that we’re going back to Pittsburgh together."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Sid got Anne back! There are only two chapters left, and the next one is one of my favorite chapters I've written! Let me know your thoughts!