‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

As I pulled apart her theories,

I woke up at eight the next morning. Charlie had passed out on the couch last night, so I left him there. I showered and got ready for the day.

When I went to the kitchen and opened the fridge, there was nothing. Only a few bottles of water, milk and some Chinese take out from a few nights ago. I sighed and shut the door. I looked over and saw my purse on the counter. The diner it is.

The walk to the small diner took me less than 10 minutes. There was decent sized crowd for a morning, but since it was Saturday it was quiet.

"Anne." I looked to my left where someone had called my name. Sid stood up from his booth and walked over to me. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to grab something eat. I still haven't gotten a chance to go to the store yet." I shifted awkwardly in my spot.

"Would you like to join me?" He gestured towards his table. I nodded my head and followed him to his booth. He already had a glass of water but a waitress came by and quickly set another one down. We ordered our food and sat in silence. I took a few sugar packets and started flinging them at the wall. "So, did you have fun last night?"

I shrugged. "The game was good. Diesel, not so much. Charlie had a little too much to drink. It looked like you had a good time last night. I bet she was a nice girl to take home." Sid choked on his water, but immediately composed himself. "Sid, I just wanted-" I was cut off when Charlie walked into the diner. "Charlie?"

"Hey," he sat down next to me and kissed my cheek. "I thought I'd find you here. Good to see you Sid." Our waitress came back and put our food down in front of us.

"You too." Charlie started digging through my food. I hadn't eaten much, but I was still hungry. The silence returned and Charlie kept eating my food. I couldn't find a good spot to sneak some food off.

"So Sid," Charlie said after swallowing some of my pancakes. "Saw you with that redhead last night. That had to be a great night in bed."

I looked down at the table. "Yeah, it was good night." I was hoping this wouldn't come up.

"I bet. We should go Anne." I nodded my head. Charlie stood up when his phone rang. "I'll meet you in the car." I nodded my head again as he walked away.

"Here," Sid slid his toast over. "I'd say you have about five minutes before he comes back in. Eat it." I immediately grabbed it and shoved the food in my mouth. I took a quick swig of my water. "Listen, I didn't go home with her." My ears perked up at that. "She was a nice girl, but she was wasted."

I let out sigh of relief. I knew I was supposed to be with Charlie, but Sid just couldn’t stay off my mind. "Are you going to Braydon's party today?" I asked taking the last bite of toast.

He swallowed a bite of eggs, "Of course. Are you?"

I nodded my head. I looked out the window to make sure Charlie wasn’t looking. I got up and kissed Sid on the cheek before walking out. "Thanks Sid. See you later!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda short, but what did you think?