‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

as I watched her growing weary,

I walked into Greta and Kris' house about an hour early. "Hello? Anyone home?" Kris came running in from the backyard.

"Hey Anne." He came over and greeted me with a kiss on each cheek. Jordan's been here hogging his godson. If you want anytime with Braydon, I'd try to get it now."

"Maybe in a bit. Do you need help with anything still?" I took my shoes off and placed them near the front door.

"Greta might need help in the kitchen still. I just have to get some tables set up out back." I left for the kitchen and set the bag down on the counter.

"Oh, thank God you're here. I forgot to get frosting for the cake. Would you mind..?” I cut her off and pulled two cans of frosting out of my bag.

"All set. I got candles too, just in case."

Greta immediately grabbed the frosting and went back to the cake. "You are a lifesaver!"

"As long as I get a piece of cake, I'll be good." I walked over and took a baby carrot off one of the trays and popped it in my mouth.

"If you can get Jordan to stop showing up here early in the morning just to see his godson, I would build you a whole house made of cake."

***

The party was in full swing around two o’clock. Little kids were running all over the place. Most of the players from the team were along with a few of Kris and Greta’s family members. I sat with Charlie next to Vero and Marc in the backyard. It was a beautiful day outside and the lawn had been converted to a field to play kickball. Marc and Charlie went to join the few guys that were starting a game.

Vero and I stayed put and discussed who had the best kicking technique and laughing at Tyler Kennedy when he fell down mid kick. "Hey Anne," Greta came by our table, "would you mind getting one of Braydon's sweatshirts from his room?"

"Of course not." I got up and went into the house to the child's room. I opened the door and jumped seeing someone in the room. "Sid?" He turned around and confirmed my thought, "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry. I just needed to talk to you." He walked forward and shut the door; not all the way, but enough to keep us secluded. "When did you get a boyfriend? I thought there was something between us when you were here."

"Sid, I don't know..." I trailed off.

"No!" His outburst scared me. "There has to be a reason. You wouldn't just go off with anybody."

"I talked to Greta about. She told me that long distance relationships are hard. They're not something anyone should go through. She recommended looking around in Minnesota, and if I didn't find anyone I was welcome to stay with her. Charlie and I met through some mutual friends, and we’ve been together for a while." I walked towards him and grabbed his hands. My voice was soft, "I don't love Charlie. I don't think I ever have or will."

As soon as the words left my mouth, Sidney's lips were on mine. I immediately wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. Our lips moved together in frenzy. My hands moved down and roamed under his shirt. I pushed him apart after a few minutes of this. "I should get back."

"Yeah." I grabbed one Braydon's sweatshirts and went for the door. "Anne," I stopped and turned to Sid, "Come to the game on Monday?"

I nodded my head my smiled, but it quickly faded. "Charlie already got tickets from some friends."

"I'll find a way to distract him; don't worry about it. I just want to see you after the game." I leaned in and kissed him before leaving the room. Things just got a little more complicated in Pittsburgh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Looks like Greta's plan might have a good outcome. Any ideas on what will happen at the game? Let me know what you thought of it!