‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

I pulled her apart.

Sid stood on the ice during the National Anthem. He shifted the weight of his body from his left leg to his right. He then stood still and tried to focus on the game, but a bubbly, blonde was on his mind.

There were no maybes or what if's. She was here. Nothing had stopped her this time; no distance or friends. She was here for him.

Sid gave himself the sign of the cross right as the song ended. He pulled the cross on the chain from his neck. He kissed the cross before sliding it back underneath his jersey. Sure, it was a superstition, but it was something he needed to stay calm.

He skated and looked each of his line mates in the eye before going in for the face off. An image of Anne flashed in his mind. Lord, keep my mind on the game tonight.

***

I spent the entire game up in the family suite. Charlie wanted to sit in the seat the tickets were meant for, but I wanted to sit by Greta. We played a quick round of rock, paper, scissors to choose.

I'm glad I won. Not even ten minutes into the first period and Charlie got a call. He had to leave to go help his company with a financial issue. It wasn't his company, more so his dad’s company and he was just a son who happened to run a large part of it. I would've been alone, but instead I spent the game cheering for the team with Braydon in my lap.

Greta took him from my arms when we got down to the locker room. We stood outside waiting for Kris and Sid and talked about the game. Braydon fell asleep in her arms before either man had exited the locker room.

We waited twenty minutes before Kris appeared. He carefully took the sleeping child from his wife's arms and bid me a goodnight. I sat down on the couch that had been where I had first met Sidney.

The lounge emptied as players started to leave for the evening. Sid took an extra hour after Kris to get out, but he was the captain. Leaving late came with having the title. I stood up and met him halfway across the room. He kissed my cheek. "Good game."

"Thank you. Where's Charlie?" he asked. I saw a smirk appear on his face and let out a small laugh.

"Crazy how things work out. He left for some work thing. Take me home?" I batted my eyelashes. He nodded his head and led the way to his car.

When he turned the wrong way out of the parking lot, I started to get worried. "Where are you going? I live that way." I pointed over my shoulder.

"Nope. I said I wanted to see you after the game. The Anne who laughs at the worst possible time in a movie and always speaks her mind. Not the girl who is polite when she’s in public.

I sighed and gave in, "What are we doing?"

"Surprise." I groaned at the word. Surprises were fun when I was little, but now they were just stupid.

When we got his place, I was ordered to close my eyes. Sid held my hand and led me into his house. What was set up was a dinner. Someone must have stopped by and set it all up because steam was coming from the food and candles were burning.

"Sid..." He just grabbed my hand and started walking towards the table. I pulled him back and pressed my lips to his. He moved his lips in sync with mine and placed his hands on my waist.

“So, you like it?” I nodded my head. “I had Vero and Marc come over quick to set up after the game.” I grabbed his hands and started walking upstairs, "But what about the food?"

I shrugged, "We'll eat it later." He pulled away from me and ran over to blow out the candles. The room was immediately covered in darkness. I giggled when I felt Sidney lift up in his arms. Our lips reconnected and he walked towards the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
So the secret relationship continues... Any thoughts?