Status: hiatus

I Can't Believe I Fell for This

Defenses

Dancing on air. That's what the blonde felt like she was doing. Normally she had barricaded herself but it was like the air around Alex Gaskarth was poison. Poison to being sensible. She knew that it was ridiculous to think that maybe she could be with him. He was too different. His fans would hate her and her fans would hate him. Part of her thought maybe it'd be okay. It'd be alright in the end. And then her phone rang out. "Hello, Taylor Swift speaking."

Her heart began to pound as she heard the pink haired boy on the other end. Calm, she told herself sternly. She told herself that she wasn't interested in him. He wasn't her type... well, he wasn't who her fans would be happy to see her with. His tattoos intrigued her, his pink hair get her flushing, and his voice was smooth and entrapping. Maybe that was how he had so many fans. Taylor flushed before spluttering out, "Um... well it was fun."

She wanted to be honest: that he was the most blunt person she had ever met. He was the most reckless person she had ever met and it thrilled her in ways she couldn't understand. He was also the most honest on their first date. That she craved for more like that with him. But it sounded just a touch too desperate for a girl who had been burned far too many times to risk something that stupid. She wasn't reckless like him or any girl he knew. She played it safe and smart. "Yeah... sometime again soon would be great."

Taylor paused at his request, her heart pounding. It was such an odd request. Who requested this out of someone they had known for at most two days? Maybe if she had known him for longer, but right now? It was just too soon. "You need a date to a wedding," she echoed in shock, her thoughts racing.

A bit soon to take someone he barely knew to a wedding. It was the sort of thing that she could consider reckless. Reckless and stupid and idiotic and fearless and brave of him. She couldn't name a single guy who would have done that. Joe Jonas went stag to his brother's wedding. Launter hadn't bothered to tell her about his friends getting married. She never went to anyone's wedding as someone's date. "Um, yeah I do... I do like weddings but I don't even know Rian or Cassadee. Like... they're your friends."

People that haven't even met her yet, she reminded herself. It was far too soon and far too fast. She wasn't a fan of jumping right into things. It was scary and unpredictable. She wasn't ready. "Yeah but..."

It was hard to imagine the last time she had been fearless when it came to love. Last time, being fearless got her hurt. Yet his words were washing over her, making her feel comforted and safe. His reasoning somehow managed to get her to whisper, "Okay. Okay, I'll be your date to Rian and Cassadee's wedding."

---------------------------

It was thrilling the more that she thought about it. She had always wanted to be fearless when it came to love. She might have sang about being fearless with love but she had always been just a bit guarded. And with her parent's divorce... maybe being guarded was wise. Maybe she should be more cautious with Alex. He could easily tear her apart. Yet as she did up her hair for a wedding, she couldn't help but think of how thrilling it was he didn't follow the normal rules. Normal rules were for suckers.

Maybe that was what his charm was. That he didn't follow normal rules. It was a quick way to shake up her routine. He was different. A light blue dress slipped over her head and she tugged on the hem so it rested just right. Her heart hammered as she heard a knock on the door. She opened it with a grin. "Most people have a date arranged weeks before the wedding."

Alex shrugged and Taylor found herself desperately wondering what could possibly be on his mind. What was behind that smug grin. God how she hated that smug grin. It was horrible and the worst look he could have. "Normalcy is overrated. Haven't you heard?"

She couldn't argue that and she hated him for that. "Fair point."

Part of her wondered if her sudden hate was a natural reflex to men she found attractive, funny, and pleasant to be around. The car ride was silent, unlike the last car ride that had been full of screaming and laughter. Maybe Alex sensed something she didn't. "So... who is Rian and who is Cassadee?"

Alex snorted. "Rian is the drummer in my band. I was supposed to have a date weeks ago and he was pissed off because Cass was mad."

"Why was Cassadee mad?"

Alex grinned. "You may have to change your pretty dress... to one that might not fit just right."

Taylor grew apprehensive. She was never one to play games. "Why. Was Cassadee mad? Why. Will I have to change dresses?"

He shrugged before chuckling. "I was suppose to have a date weeks ago because Cassadee didn't have three bridesmaids. She figured my date could be the one to even out the groomsmen that Rian had. So... I was last minute when producing a date."

A girl with two tone hair and a triangle on her finger gasped upon seeing Taylor. "Oh fuck," said the girl, "You're taller than we expected."

It was a shock to see the girl place her hand on Taylor's upper arm without any permission and Taylor wondered if the girl had ever heard of personal boundaries. It was almost like this girl was just another fan. Another fan who didn't respect boundaries when it came to Taylor Swift. The first thing out of Taylor's mouth as she was being dragged away was, "Who the heck are you?"

The girl swiveled on the spot as if Taylor was a complete idiot. "It doesn't matter who the fuck I am. But Sierra. Now come on! We need to get you prepared, okay?"

Somehow, Taylor Swift found herself in a dress similar to Sierra's with the girl in white letting out a breath of relief as she zipped up Taylor's dress. Shockingly, the dress hit right at Taylor's knees (a feat in itself for the tall girl) and fit around her bust. "Thank God we had one in your size!"

The bride looked frantic to have everything go right and Taylor supposed she could understand what Cassadee was going on. She was getting married and part of her wished for it to be her... although with a different groom. The groom always shifted and she nearly chuckled when she remembered she wanted to marry most of her exes. The dream was slowly fading from her as she became more concerned with her career rather than romance. Not only that, guys were starting to beware Taylor Swift and her career wrecking guitar.

Beware of you, Taylor remembered as she somehow ended up walking down the aisle of a wedding for a bride and groom that she barely knew. How did that seem to end up relating to what she needed? The wedding was, of course, beautiful. Even though Taylor didn't know these people, she still ended up crying. Weddings always made her cry.

It seemed Cassadee's frantic planning had paid off. The ceremony seemingly flowed into the reception. A very laid back reception where the bride and groom danced... and so did everyone else. She wondered if a laid back reception would be what she would want. Low key or not, Taylor found herself smiling as she met Alex's friends. It was quicker than she would like, but she found herself meeting someone called Jack Barakat. "So he wasn't lying. He went out with you. How'd he get you to say yes?"

Taylor shrugged, smiling at the fact that he told his best friend about her. She brushed a curl behind her ear. "I dunno," she laughed. "I'm still trying to figure out how he conned me into it myself."

Jack snorted, making Taylor feel more comfortable about making jokes around the rest of them even thought she normally wouldn't. New people usually made her uncomfortable yet something about each of them made her feel at ease. Maybe that chemical wasn't just limited to Alex. Maybe it was his whole band. The guy she learned was Zack joked, "Well, just as long as there was no chloroform involved."

She let out a soft laugh, playing with her hair before Alex came by again with an easy going grin that made her heart pang. That stupid pink, that stupid smug grin that showed he knew he could land any girl in the room besides the bride, the way he walked as if he was better than everyone else. It was sickening. He only had to say "hello" and she was gone.

It was official: Taylor Swift hated Alex Gaskarth for being so wonderful.
♠ ♠ ♠
aw Riassadee wedding. You're welcome. I sort of lost muse somewhere towards the end. I'm sorry.