Status: :)

Pulse

"Are you ready to do this?" she asked quietly. I could feel the determination in her voice, the slight tone of excitement. Ruth had a smile creeping on her lips as she whispered for only me to hear, "Together forever."

I repeated her, holding the small handful of pills in my hand, looking at her soft skin one more time before everything would go dark. I held her hand in mine tightly, then she pulled away, flashing me a stern gaze.

"This is it then, Andrew. You know you can't go back." With a gulp, I nodded, and she continued. "This amount will kill us both. An hour, tops."

One hour. One more hour until we were together for an eternity, until she was all mine, and no one else's. I was ready.

"One... two... three..." And with our glass of water, we started our inevitable end.


Cold. That was the first sensation I felt when I opened my eyes. And bright, white lights.

"Andrew!" I heard a familiar voice cry out. My mother. Then hands touching my face, rushed voices.

No. I couldn't be awake. Ruth said it'd kill me. She said it'd kill us both.

"Ruth?" I whispered, opening my eyes again, seeing tear filled eyes I knew to be my mother's. A frown fell upon her face, and all she did was shake her head.

She was gone. And I was still here.