Status: active

Get Rhythm

13.

[JOHN]

"What is it?" I slurred, hearing my door open. I rolled over and reached for the whiskey bottle on the nightstand. Annoyance coursed through me when I found it empty.

"That's right O'Callaghan, it's empty! You've been drinking like a fucking fish for the past three days!"

"Why the fuck are you here, Fi?"

"Because none of your pussy ass band mates can handle this so they called in reinforcements."

If I wasn't so drunk and bitter I would have laughed. I haven't been difficult per se... Just drunk and useless. All the guys had come in and out trying to get through to me but I wouldn't have any of it. I just wanted to be alone and why no one could seem to respect that is beyond me.

"Well I-" I groaned, hitting the hard surface of the wooden floor. "I meant to roll theeee other way. Anyways Fi- I'm getting in bed. I don't feel good. My feelings have been walked all over by your fucking sister, so why don't you and everyone else fuck off?"

"So what?! You aren't the only person in the universe that gets his feelings hurt by someone John! Get your dumbass up. You can either get up and go work or you can actually talk to me about what happened because Flora is in about the same shape as you. Though she has enough sense to not drink herself into an oblivion."

My ears perked at this. "What has she said?"

"She won't talk about it. She won't talk about anything. I don't know what has gotten into her. So O'Callaghan, you can tell me for your sake or you can tell me for Flora's sake, but one way or the other I want to know what exactly happened."

I sighed and tossed my phone over to Fiona. "The text is there. Out of the blue that's what I got... Literally hours before that we'd been fine... Flirty... Us. She fucking sent me a topless picture! Then I fucking get that text!"

I looked to see Fiona reading our conversation and frowning. "This really is out of the blue..."

I still remembered the text word for word despite only looking at it once. I had thought about looking at it again, but I could barely bring myself to do anything but drink.

"Tonight made me realize some things, I want to be with Karl. He can give me all the things you can't." I repeated. "Yeah, she's fucking- I don't want to talk about this anymore."

I used the bed to help pull myself from the ground. I walked out of my room and didn't give anyone a second glance when I closed the main door behind me. I slipped on my sunglasses and took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet Arizona air. This was the one time it was unfortunate that we recorded in such a remote studio.

I obviously don't need to drive but I feel like I can't breathe inside. The door slid open.

"John-"

"Please can we stop. I'd actually really appreciate if we could take a break from studio. I need some time and I'm stuck and I need some time." My words were spilling out so quickly that I couldn't keep up with my thoughts.

Jared's eyes were wide but he nodded along with me. "Of course. We can head home whenever-"

"Tonight?"

"Uh, well-"

"I'm heading home tonight. John can ride with me I guess," Fiona shrugged.

"Thanks Fi."

&&&

"You're being surprisingly supportive Fiona, considering that the source of my strife is your sister."

Fiona shrugged. "I care about both of you. Flora is going through something right now that she doesn't want me to be a part of and she's wrong. No matter what is going on she shouldn't shut you out like that."

I nod. I didn't want to think about Flora. It wasn't so much that she wanted someone else that was eating at me... That I could understand. Flora's perfect and I'm so flawed. She's way out of my league.

What was eating at me was how strange this all felt. It didn't make sense to me. I was missing some crucial element that I desperately needed.

This wasn't Florence... She was too sweet, too caring.

"John don't let this eat you up... I love Flora, but it isn't worth it."

I shrugged. We had different opinions on that count. The drive was mostly silent except for the radio. Fiona was respectful of my desire to stay quiet. When we were thirty minutes outside of Tempe Fiona yawned and groaned.

"Would you mind staying at the apartment? Flora's probably at Karl's and I am so tired, John."

I shook my head. "No that's fine." I wasn't going to be a dick and make her drive me home when she had already done me a favor. Plus I didn't really care if I went home tonight or not, I just wanted some air.

Fiona parked the car in no time. We walked up to her and Flora's apartment. She unlocked the door and as we stepped inside a loud crash made the silence sound more threatening.

"John!"

"Just stay here while I look around Fiona, and I mean stay put!" I pulled out my cell phone and began going around the apartment trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. I figured out that it was Flora's bedroom.

Part of me didn't want to open the door because I don't want to see Flora, but Fiona said she wasn't supposed to be here and we need to know if she is or if someone unwelcome is in that room... I took a deep breath and opened the door.

&&&

[FLORA]

"I thought you said you wouldn't do this again!" I screamed and covered my face, tears making it hard to see and actually do anything to help myself.

"I didn't expect you to be a dumb little bitch," Karl snapped, drunk and angry. Again I found myself taking blow after blow until Karl had gotten enough of his demons out to leave his apartment. I crawled to the wall and sat with my knees to my chest and my back against the wall.

My breathing was ragged and I held myself tight, trying to stop my tears and console my heartbeat and wounded pride.

Just like last time I gathered myself together and walked home, ignoring all the looks I got as I went. I locked myself in my room and changed into sweatpants and a long sleeve v-neck. When I pulled the black material down on my body I realized it must be one of John's because it was so huge.

A new round of tears pulled into my eyes. John would never do something like that to me, or any woman for that matter. I can't believe I got myself into this position!

Furious with myself I launch a cup across the room. It shattered when it hit the wall and I flinched bag, turning my head as shattered glass spread throughout my room.

It startled me further when my bedroom door burst open. I froze and he did too when we made eye contact. He didn't know what was going on and something clearly was from the state I was in and the fact that glass was all over my room.

I looked anxiously into his eyes that showed me he had no idea how to continue.

He took a deep breath that shook him slightly. "Uh Florence, are you alright?" His concern was obvious as he took in my face, my room. John always managed to pick up on my energy.

Fiona appeared behind John, but it took just a second for her to push him out of her way. She always took on the traits of a steam engine in most things she did.

"Flora! What the hell is going on? John did you say-"

"Oh stop! I just want to be alone," I snapped, pushing Fiona off of me. I stormed from the bedroom and down to my car, unable to stand the thought of being around anyone right now. Part of me was terrified that one of them knew just by looking at me what was going on and that was embarrassing.

I sat in my car, in the backseat with my knees against my chest. I took deep breaths and when my door opened I wanted to die.

"Listen I get that you want to be alone and believe me I don't want to fucking talk to you," John said. I was surprised and it cut me deep down. "But I do want to know that you are alright... Whatever, whatever this is... Is just temporary or stupid... So I'm asking you again, are you alright Florence?"

I looked John in the eye and went back and forth with myself fora few minutes. On one hand if I told him I'm pretty sure he would do something to help me and keep me away from Karl... On the other hand he sent that nasty text so maybe he doesn't care in the first place, but what the hell is he doing here, now?

And that text... He's not what I wanted? He's the one that said he didn't want me!

I took a deep breath finally, realizing that I had yet to answer John. "I'm fine. Don't worry yourself with me."

John shook his head. "Don't say it like that, not to me."

"What?"

"Don't say it like that to me! You have no right!"

I glared at him. "What right do you think you have to be here right now John O'Callaghan? Go fuck yourself! Nothing about me concerns you and it never will!"

He was taken aback by my screaming and I was too when I stopped long enough to appreciate the silence and take deep breaths.

He looked at me and shook his head. Without another word he walked away from me, slamming my car door closed again. I began crying. I wanted him to turn around or at least let us argue more but he kept walking back into the apartment building. I cried for myself and John and that I had officially trapped myself. I cried because I didn't stand up to Karl like that and I cried harder when I thought about how I had just alienated myself from John.

I pulled myself together enough to go back inside. John was laying on the couch. He didn't give me a second glance as I made my way into my own room. I closed the door and collapsed on the bed crying. I can't believe what my life has turned into since leaving home.

&&&

[JOHN]

"You don't look good honey."

I laughed and laid my head on my Mom's shoulder. "I'm not good. I feel crazy, Mom. Things fell apart between me and Flora and that is all I can fucking think about! She's fucking amazing, but she is just a girl."

Normally she would have scolded my for my language but when she didn't I knew Mom grasped how badly this all was getting to me. I think she was also glad to finally have an idea about what was going on. I'd been there for three hours and said nothing. Mom always has a way of knowing, though, when something is wrong no matter how great I think I am at hiding it.

"John have you tried talking to her, when the two of you are calm? I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding. You two are two good together to not workout."

"You just want me to marry her and have babies."

She chuckled, "I am excited to be a Grandmother. But John, this is obviously something that isn't going to go away on its own. You two are going to have to talk."

"I know Ma, it just sucks."

"If you had any sense you would be out buying her flowers and a nice bracelet to make up for whatever it is you did... You should just accept son that women are right and they are always right. Once you do, you'll both be much happier."

I laughed. "Thanks Dad. I think I'm just not going to worry about it. She made it pretty clear that she doesn't want anything to do with me."

I sighed and hugged both my parents. I need to stop sulking, I need something to distract myself. I picked up my phone when I said my goodbyes and got in my car.

"Hey Halvo, you down for going out tonight?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments, please keep it up (:

Sort of a filler to get things set in motion. Next one will be better & longer