Status: active

Get Rhythm

15.

[FLORA]

"What exactly were you planning on discussing with John, Florence?"

I clutched my face, leaning against my dresser. "A-It was buisiness. He and some family members have several large orders in and they left out a few details. I'm sorry!"

Karl shook his head. "You're probably lying."

I furiously shook my head. "We are going to be late! And I probably need to throw some makeup on the bruise you've already started on my face... you wouldn't want to add to that in this dress." I don't know where it came from, but it felt amazing saying it and I was thankful for the open back of my sundress.

Karl grinned and threw me across the room. He kicked me in the ribs a couple of times and looked down at me. "I'm not taking you anywhere like that obviously. Have a nice night here, alone. You want to know why John sent that text about staying away?"

I sat silent, looking at him. John had never answered my text, making me feel so alone all over again. Frankly I didn't care what Karl did as long as he left so I knew I could feel safe.

"I saw the little sex exchange. I sent one from you saying you decided to stay with me." I paled. "Later baby."

Karl left my apartment. I began sobbing loudly, sinking to the floor. I pulled the engagement ring off my finger and threw it across the room. I crawled to my phone after several minutes. I dialed John's number.

It went to voicemail. I cried harder as I called him six more times. I have up, sobbing hysterically as I sat looking around my room in desperation. I didn't leave a message.

Three minutes later my phone rang.

"Jared?"

"Hey Flora... Are you alright?"

I began crying again. "Fine." I heard Jared mumble something seconds later and the phone was shuffled around.

"No!"

"Uhm hello?" I said confused as mire voices came softly over the line. I heard what sounded like a door slam.

"Uhm I think John is on his way towards you," Jared said nervously.

"Alright."

"Do you want to stay on the phone until he gets there?"

"No I'm alright. Don't worry Jared."

We got off the phone and I wondered when it became so obvious that I was falling apart to everyone.

In what seemed like no time at all there was a pounding on my door.

"Florence, what is it?" The anguish in John's voice reached his eyes as he came into the apartment and examined my face. After a ling time of silence John pulled me into my room and shut the door. He sat down on my bed and pulled me in with him.

I inhaled his scent and felt a peace I had lacked
previously.

"How long?"

"Do you actually wanna know?"

John inhaled deeply. "Yeah."

"Few months now."

"Come on Flora, how long?"

"Three, nearly four months."

A shudder went through his body and he pulled me closer. "Jesus I wish I had known before now. I am going to fucking beat his ass."

"John..."

"Men shouldn't hit women. He deserves to have his ass beat. Are you alright? Do you need to be checked out?"

"No. Wanna know something?"

"Of course."

"Karl sent that text to you... about me deciding to- I never decided that."

John looked at me with wide eyes. "He is definitely getting his ass beat. End of story."

"I wanted you to know that."

"Are you-" Fiona stopped, staring at John and me. She always managed to burst into places.

"Fiona, I assume you are unaware Karl has been abusing Florence." I gaped at him. Fiona's jaw fell open. She began stalking around the room, furiously mumbling to herself.

"Thanks John," I mumbled.

"I don't want him in this apartment. Fiona needs to understand the importance of that," John replied evenly.

"Not to mention I'm your sister! Why didn't you tell me? Or anyone?"

"I don't know and I don't want to talk about it."

"Break up with him. I'm not letting you see him again," John snapped.

Anger flared in me.

"Letting me? You think you tell me what to do?" John flushed. It ran through my head that it didn't make sense that I could stand up to John but not Karl.

My ringing cell saved us from any discussion though.

"Karl we need to talk."

"Are you trying to give me the break up talk? That isn't going to fly."

"Karl I am breaking up with you," I said firmly.

John grabbed the phone from my hand and walked out of my room. I looked at Fiona who wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine, I don't want to talk about it." We sat in silence until John re-entered the room. He handed me my cell phone back.

"I want you to come to my place. Fiona, you should go to Pat's."

"Why?"

"I don't think he'll come back here but if he does I don't want either of you here. Don't be stubborn if that is possible."

Fiona and I didn't argue. John was tense and his tone was dark. I don't know what exactly he and Karl discussed, but it was obvious he wasn't very pleased.

We had bags together in no time. Fiona hugged us both before she got in her car and drove to Pat's. John tossed my bag in his back seat and opened the passenger door for me.

"Are you alright?"

John ran a hand through his hair. "I'll be better when we get home. I just want to get in my apartment and have a drink. My blood pressure has skyrocketed since I met you, Flora."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome... If you would have told me sooner I would have taken care of this before now."

"I know. Will you get me some ice cream?"

John smiled over at me and nodded. He placed his hand on my knee and the rest of the ride was silent.

= = =

I woke up a few hours later. I stretched and pushed John's comforter off me, too hot. It smelled so much of John, of course being in his room that's expected.

"John?"

"In the kitchen baby."

I got out of bed and stumbled into the kitchen. It had gotten dark outside since I had been asleep.

"How long was I sleeping?"

"It's been almost six hours. I figured you could use the rest though. You've been looking tired lately."

"Thanks."

John rolled his eyes. "Beautiful though. Always beautiful." He pulled a beer out of the fridge and handed it to me. I took it, thirsty and wanting the relief.

"Wanna just stay in? I just want to get lost in you."

"Are you mad?"

"Why in the world would I be mad?"

"I just... This was very... unfair to you."

"It was," John nodded. "But I get it. You were scared. I can't fault you for that and I'm not going to waste time playing the blame game. I care about you so much. You're alright, that's what is important."

I wrapped my arms around him and sighed. "Yeah I wanna stay in."

John went to his room and got a blanket and wrapped it around the two of us. He pulled me down on the couch and began channel surfing, curling us up together.

"Who says I want to be so close to you?"

John chuckled. "You love my touch, girl."

I giggled. "You're so full of it!" The east John made me feel was astounding to me in that moment. I felt like I didn't have anything to worry about anymore because John was back in my life and here to take care of everything.

I questioned if that was something that was completely a good thing or not.

"The guys are worried about you too, ya know."

I shrugged, unsure of what to say. "Sorry."

"I wish you would-"

"I know John... Please drop it. I'm not ready to talk about this. I'm embarrassed. I'm tired... I want to just be... at peace."

John nodded. He wrapped his arms around me and settled on a show. I didn't pay much attention though, mulling the events in my life over in my head.

I had spent a lot of time away from the shop a few months ago, but I felt like I needed time again. I knew I shouldn't take any more time off, but it was certainly tempting... Maybe even a vacation.

"Baby?"

"What?"

"I've been asking if you wanted anything to eat..."

"Oh uh, not right now. Thanks." I sank further back in John's embrace and sighed. It was nice being in his arms. I felt comfortable and safe. My thoughts slowed from their original racing pace and I slowly drifted back to sleep.

= = =

[JOHN]

"Mm, John... Wake up."

Lips pressed softly against mine. I smiled and held Flora in place, kissing her back and pulling her body back against mine.

"I'm awake Miss Glenanne, what can I do for you?"

"Well I'm sort of starving."

I nodded. I kissed her once more and got up, stretching. "I don't really have much here... Why don't we go somewhere?" Flora nodded. She got up and we went to my bedroom. Flora pulled her jeans on and went through my dresser. She pulled out a dark gray v-neck and pulled it on. It was huge on her, but she looked cute as hell.

I shook my head and got dressed as well. We got in my car. I couldn't resist kissing her before I backed out of my parking spot.

"Anything you want in particular?"

"Just breakfast food."

I nodded and began driving to a Waffle House. It didn't take long. When we were out of my truck and met at the bed Flora grabbed my hand.

"What is it doll?"

"Do I look alright?"

I paled. "Shit, I forgot about the bruise."

"How?" Flora laughed.

"I can look past any blemish on you Florence. Well, it doesn't matter. Everyone can fuck themselves. None the less, we can sit in the back corner."

Flora smiled and took my hand. She looked up at me, waiting for me to lead her. I smiled and we got a booth. She kept her face down while ordering, not wanting to be questioned. I reached across the booth and kissed her forehead to calm her a bit.

"Is it normal that we're back to this so quickly?"

I grinned and shook my head. "I'm not sure... It's normal for us... And that's what matters." I shrugged.

Flora smiled and kissed my knuckle. "I like you John O'Callaghan."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments!