White Wedding

Guardian Angel

The day Dave showed up at my door again is a day I could never forget, for sure. Of all days he picked my wedding day to ruin. My coronation day he had to ruin. The day I would be granted the vital potion of immortality he would have to ruin. My parents and my soon to be in-laws would pissed that my mortal lover had shown up on my doorstep, telling me he had made a big mistake walking out on me a year ago.

What the hell was he thinking?

“I’m getting married today, idiot.” The first words that flew out of my mouth wasn’t exactly the most pleasant greeting, but who cares? Dave never cared for my great use of words anyways. He flicked his cigarette down to the ground and chuckled, swinging his leg off of his Harley. He still had that bike that held so many memories of us. I was in too deep.

“I know. Do you think I care?” He asked. I readjusted my footing. Here I was, standing outside in just a slip talking to my ex-boyfriend on my wedding day. This couldn’t get any more scandalous.

“We’re not meant to be together, Dave. We’re two different types of human.” He snarled at this. He hated the reminder that he wasn’t on my level of being; he was just a human, some plaything of the gods. I was a demon hybrid, set on earth for the full purpose of tempting humans like him. Today, I was going to be set free, allowed to go back home.

“I got that thought.” He said. Shit. My sister was the strong telepath in the family. Her strength was my weakness. While she could gain someone’s thoughts and desires at the drop of a hat, I only ever achieved giving out my thoughts to people like used tissues.

“What thought?” I tried to play coy, walking slowly back on my feet. He would be able to catch me, if I tried to bolt back into the house. I wasn’t the strongest runner either.

“You said, if you were able to marry a demon, you’d be set free and able to go back home.” Dave looked over his sunglasses, his deep green eyes burning a hole into my auburn ones. “Does that mean you’ll be sent back to Hell?”

I shuffled on my feet. I hated this pressure. I looked up at the sun going down on top of the pine trees. It would be getting dark soon. I would have to be changing into my ritual clothes.

“Yeah.” I mumbled.

“How does that work?” I snapped my eyes shut, trying to hide that thought away from Dave. I could feel his psych burning into mine, trying to figure out the answer. He didn’t need to know. He shouldn’t know. It’s too dangerous for him. If I were to tell him, I’d send a curse down on him and he’d be burning in Hell as my slave.

“Arielle, what happens?” He asked patiently. I shook my head.

“I’m sorry. It’s too late now. You need to leave. I don’t love you anymore anyways.” With that, I turned on my heel and took off towards the house where I knew everyone would be searching for me. I had just made it onto the porch when I heard his motorcycle rev up and take off like a bat out of hell.
* * *


I smoked a cigarette outside of the wrought iron fence that surrounded the out of the way church. The sun had went down about a half-our ago, and Arielle’s guests were pouring in and out of the church, bearing gifts and speaking in tongues I had never heard of. Latin, maybe. Everyone knew that these churches had been set up in the 40s to keep the peace with the other side; of course most folks thought that was just a tall tale. Who would think demons still roamed this earth? I wouldn’t have, until I met Arielle. She had explained so much to me about this world and the interwoven next world that comes after death. Everything, except how exactly passports existed from getting here to there. The only thing I had known was her going back was a lot harder than it was for me to be damned into Hell.

I closed my eyes and stomped the cigarette out with my heavy leather boot. I’ve let her go for so long, and now I was going to have to pay. I readjusted my cross earring and then adjusted my leather gloves. I was ready to kick ass and do anything to get her back. It was time for us to start again, far away from here. I didn’t give a shit about being damned to Hell. I needed Arielle like I needed air to breathe.

* * *


I tried not to cry. I tried to remain focused on the long dark isle. I tried not to notice the dark box that was shaped just like a coffin and had smoke pouring out of the bottom of it, but it was just so damn hard when I still had Dave on my mind. He had left when I pushed him away without a goodbye, and now he comes back without even a hello. It was his fault he was losing me. It had to be his entire fault.

Everyone turned to stare at me as I walked down the aisle with my red flowers in hand, my white dress flowing behind me. They watched hungrily, jubilantly awaiting for my demise from this world, for the remainder of my humanity to be stripped away from me in the place of a poisonous immortal life. My own father stood at the front, behind the black box entrance into the netherworld. He held a vial on the podium and a dagger which would ultimately draw blood from me and Calvert, my betrothed.

Cal hadn’t even been in this world for too long. He still had the dark ashy hair in the red eyes, orange tinted skin that Mother blamed on the brimstone and fire. He wasn’t even partially human like I was. He didn’t know what I would be missing here on earth. He would never feel the love of a beating heart or the sun in the morning. He wouldn’t know what sound a happy child makes on Christmas day or how nice rain feels after going through a drought. He had only known darkness for his entire existence.

“Everyone, we are gathered here today on the behalf of my daughter Arielle and Calvert’s union, celebrating my daughter’s third decade here on earth and her entrance into the netherworld.” I began to hear a motor somewhere off in the distance. Could it be or was my mind playing tricks on me? Everyone in the church ignored the sound, and it was a good thing they did.

Within minutes Dave had crashed into the church, sending glass flying everywhere. The demons stood up and hissed at him. He was like my guardian angel, if I could ever have one.

“Arielle! Get on!” He called to me. I looked around, and without a second thought jumped onto the back of his bike, hiking up my dress as far as it would go to not get caught in the wheels. I hugged onto his back as he moved down the aisle, out into the hallway.

“I’m glad you came back.” I mumbled to him.

“I had to. We need a do-over, somewhere away from this place.” He said. I hugged tighter onto him, not wanting to let go. I hadn’t felt him for so long.

“They’ll find us.” He thought about this for a minute as he raced down the church steps.

“Will they be able to send you to hell if we’re married?” I grinned happily.

“You’d want to?” I asked. He always swore he’d never marry. Would he if he meant that I wouldn’t be damned to a life in Hell?

“Sure. Today seems like a perfect day for a white wedding.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too happy with the ending, but it was the only thing that came to mind to tie it still to the song.
I hope to change the layout, but right now I have a pretty bad headache.