Status: In Progress - updates hopefully once every month or so. (I apologise, I have exams for two months right now so updates are gonna be slow.)

Long Live the Fast Times

We Can Kick It Here For Hours

Matt paid for the taxi and we all stumbled out and into my apartment. Bella went into the kitchen to get some coffee because she wanted to stay up a little longer. I grabbed Matt and Jack’s hands and pulled them into my room.

“Whoa, Elle your hair’s red,” Jack gasped and took the ends of my hair in between his fingers. “That’s fucking awesome.”

“Didn’t you notice that earlier?” Jack shook his head, “You’re such a guy.” He just pouted and jumped onto my bed, wrapping the duvet around him.

“So, Home Alone until Jack falls asleep, which will be soon, and then Disney?” I looked over at Matt who nodded and wandered over to my pinboard where all their postcards and letters were.

He started looking at them and reading some of them, Jack however was still rolling around my bed in the duvet. I grabbed Jack’s DVDs from the side and loaded up my DVD player and TV and then called to Bella to tell her we were starting.

Clearly Jack didn’t care and I shoved him off the bed so there was enough room for me. “Bitch.”

Excuse you, you had it coming to you,” I accused as he grabbed his glasses from the small bag he had with him and put them on, sitting on my right side as Matt sat on my left.

“Well, I’ll just go fuck myself then,” Bella said as she walked into the room, coffee in hand, and noticed there wasn’t any space left.

I laughed, as I remembered my brother had tweeted something like that once - it was pretty freaking funny – and I sat crossed legged so she could lie down at the end of the bed, with Flyzik’s legs hanging off the side of my bed and Jack’s gangly legs under her own, it was a perfect fit. “Ready?”

I got a chorus of “yes” from Bella and Matt but not Jack, “I need to put some comfy clothes on because I’m going to fall asleep.”

“When did you get so responsible, B-Kat?”

“Well you weren’t there to be responsible for me,” he pouted and pulled me off the bed and into the front room. He’d brought his bag with him and was stripping from his jeans. “I’m sorry about earlier, it’s nothing okay.”

“Sweetie, sweetie-“ Jack continued to pull his jeans off and get some sweats from his bag. “Look at me! Sweetie, you have nothing to be sorry about, okay? I shouldn’t have been eavesdropping. It wasn’t ‘nothing’, and I understand that the guys don’t know. I still love you, Jacko. I’m not going to say anything.” He nodded and continued to pull on the sweats.

“Thank you, Elle. I was so scared when we heard you, we thought it was one of the guys and I just- I’m not ready, I’m not even sure I’m… you know? It’s just, happened fast and I’m not ready.” I smiled and pulled him in for a hug. “I love you and you’re the best, now let’s go watch some kick-ass films!”

As we returned to the room I saw Bella had gone to her room to change so I decided I might as well. I grabbed Matt’s Mickey top and then my All Time Low booty shorts. “Do you own clothes that aren’t band merch, or someone else’s?” Jack asked, with an eyebrow quirked. I shook my head and quickly took off my tights and shorts and threw on the shorts and then peeled off my vest.

“Whoa there, didn’t know you were giving the boys a show,” Bella said as she came in, her hair tied up and in a Glamour Kills top and some sweats.

“Shut it,” I said as I quickly put on the vest and we call got back into our positions. “Let the good times roll!” I shouted as I hit play.

ImageImageImageImage

A light snore fell from Jack as the credits for Home Alone 2 started to roll and Bella groaned and rolled onto her back, “I’m done, kids, that’s my lot.” She stood and stretched and mumbled some sort of ‘goodnight’ as she left for her own room.

“So, which Disney film, Princess Ariel?”

“Um, can we watch The Fox and The Hound, I haven’t seen it in ages,” I murmured, rubbing my eyes. Matt nodded and went over to my collection in the corner as I grabbed a blanket and tucked it around Jack’s sleeping figure. “Night Jacko.” I leaned down and kissed his forehead.

“He missed you a lot, you know. I don’t think you even realise how much we all miss you when we’re gone. You’re so far away and it just, it sucks, you know? It’s just super sucky to not have your best friend around you all the time,” Matt said as he fumbled with the DVD case and player. “I know, you’re totally used to everyone saying how much they missed you and how completely awful it is, blah blah blah. But, I just needed to put that out there, and I know it much be really shitty for you considering your brother’s away and all your best friends except Bella and we’re all so far away and you’re here and I’m sorry.”

Matt had his back to me as he skipped through the adverts and tried to get the movie started as quick as possible and I was grateful because I had tears in my eyes. Sure, I heard the whole ‘I miss you’ thing a lot and even though it never got old (because it’s always nice to feel appreciated, you know?) it just meant more coming from Matt because he was my best friend and when he says things like that it makes me wish he didn’t have to leave again. It’s like Jack and Alex, I knew that tomorrow at breakfast it would just be us, they’d make up some bullshit excuse like “Oh, the guys were up drinking last night and are too fucked to get up” but really, they’d just wake up earlier, make sure I was awake and whisk me to our diner like usual. They’d make that little bit of effort to spend some alone time with me because they’re my best friends and they care a lot, whether they like to admit it or not.

Anyway I quickly brushed my tears away and took a deep breath. “Matt, don’t you ever, and I mean ever, apologise to me for being on tour again. I mean it. Don’t you ever fucking apologise for going out and doing something you love so much. You’re brilliant at your job; those boys would be lost without you. You love being able to go out and see the world and spend time with your friends and just, just don’t apologise. Yeah, I miss you. Hell, I miss you all and sometimes it gets really hard to deal without you here but when I see you, none of that matters because right now you’re here and you’re with me and it’s the best thing I could ever have.”

Matt still had his back to me as he pulled off his jeans and grabbed a pair of shorts from Jack’s bag and slipped them on. He stumbled back into bed and the film began to play as he slithered under the covers and wrapped an arm around me, kissing the top of my head. “You always know what to say, you know that? I knew there was a reason we’re best friends,” He whispered. If I always know what to say then how come I can never tell myself the right thing when I really need it?

The both of us were silent during the whole of the film except for my sniffles as I began to cry at the ending but Matt just ignored them, he was pretty much used to them. “Okay, so we’re going to watch Fantasia because you’re going to fall asleep soon.”

I hummed an agreeing sound as he gently removed his arm from under my head and quickly changed the DVD, then hopped back straight into bed. “You’re comfy,” I mumbled as his arm found its way under my head again.

“You’re sleepy,” he chuckled.

“You’re dopey,” I replied, yawning.

“You’re funny,” He replied, sarcasm clear in his voice.

“I know I’m completely drowsy here but I’m pretty sure that ‘funny’ wasn’t one of the seven dwarves.”

“Go to sleep,” He murmured as he turned his attention to Mickey Mouse on the screen. I decided that for once, I’d do as Matt said.

ImageImageImageImage

“Elle, honey,” I heard a voice close by and opened my eyes to find Jack wrapped around me.

“Mmm, Jacky?”

“Morning,” He nudged my cheek with his nose. “Get ready, Alex is here and we’re going out for breakfast, remember?”

I nodded and rubbed my eyes, slipping away from Matt’s arm and out of bed. Groggily I manoeuvred my way into the bathroom and began to shower. I went through my bathroom routine without a thought and as I exited the room with a towel wrapped round me I still wasn’t fully awake.

Entering my bathroom I rushed over and slipped on underwear and after making sure Flyzik was still completely asleep - which I could tell from the way his arm was resting over his eyes and from the soft snores coming from his open mouth – I began to rummage through the little amount of clothes I had to find something suitable.

After picking out some black skinny jeans, I pulled them on and began to sort through a stack of shirts and stopped at my purple ‘BONER’ shirt which I put on with the All Time Low hoodie I’d been given in the same package. I smiled as I remembered Evan thought to give the hoodie to me as Matt was always moaning about me stealing his.

After brushing my hair and applying eyeliner, I stumbled across the room to where Matt was sleeping, kissed his cheek and wrote him a small message on a post-it note which I stuck to where I’d been sleeping earlier.

Went to breakfast with Jalex, just the usual, see you later x

“Nice outfit,” Alex commented as I staggered out of my room, putting on some black Vans. A smirk was clear on his face.

“Yeah, nice outfit,” Jack commented, a cute little smile on his own face.

“I don’t-“ And that’s when I noticed Jack’s outfit; black skinnies and his purple BONER shirt. “Goddamn it and you manage to look better than me as well.”

“Aw babe, it’s okay, not everyone can look as good as Barakat,” Alex winked and I rolled my eyes.

“Asskarth, for the last fucking time, babe is something you cannot call me, ever.”

“Mmhm, whatever you say babe. Now let’s get some breakfast,” He replied with arrogance in his voice and on his face as he pulled me out of my apartment, grabbing my keys and phone from the kitchen counter.

“You guys are lucky I love you so much,” I mumbled, glaring at Alex.

“Babe, you’re lucky we love you.” God, don’t I know it.

“Yeah, yeah. Like I said a few weeks back, make sure your ego doesn’t get so big you can’t get past the bus doors.”

Alex just scoffed and pulled me down the road towards the diner we usually had breakfast at, the one I happened to be currently work at as well. Jack was walking behind us and just smiling at me.
We’d been walking for about twenty minutes when Jack started to complain about how we’d been walking ‘for weeks’. “Hop on,” I muttered; still a little sleepy considering it was only 9am.

I stopped walking and let Jack take a few strides with his long legs to get beside me and then he jumped on my back and I hooked my arms under his legs as Alex held my shoulders so I wouldn’t fall. “You’re comfy,” Jack yawned, his chin on top of my head and his arms loosely around my neck, fiddling with my guitar-pick necklace.

Walking with Jack wasn’t exactly an easy task, the gangly guy was at least an inch or so taller than me when we were standing so having him hoisted around me wasn’t a walk in the park but I let it slide because hey, I’m getting a free breakfast here with my best buds.

“We’re here,” Alex announced, fist-pumping the air. “C’mon Elle, I’m hungry!” I rolled my eyes and tried to pick up my pace but like I mentioned, I had a 23 year old child hanging off of me. “Jack, let her go man, I want food!” Alex by this time was stomping his feet and giving us a ‘mean’ look. It was adorable and made me laugh, but nevertheless Jack climbed off of me and I ran up to Alex and pushed the doors open to the nearly empty diner.

“Morning Ariel, I didn’t know you were working today,” Pam, a middle-aged woman with whom I worked, said as I walked in with a little wave. “Oh, no I see your boys are back. Welcome home, honeys.” She bustled her way out from behind the counter and gave Alex and Jack a hug each with a kiss on the cheek.

“Actually, we’re only here for the day,” Jack said and gave Pam a little pout. “But it’s still lovely to see you.”

“Just a day? Well we better get some breakfast in you lot so you can make the most of your time, go on, go and sit,” She shoo-ed us over to a booth opposite the counter and I waved to Jason – one of the regulars – who was sat in the corner with his usual morning black coffee. “You want your normal orders?”

“Yes ma’am!” Alex said and gave her a little salute.

“Okay Alex, calm down, it’s just food,” She laughed and went through the door to the kitchen and gave our order to the chef and we watched her through the little window.

Not just food, Pam, you guys have like the best French toast ever!

Alex sat in his seat and fidgeted, eager for some food. “Dude, how long have you been awake?”

“Since like… 8? I don’t know. I’m just hungry!”

Jack rolled his eyes, “We know man, you won’t stop fucking shaking your leg. Chill out.”

“Anyway, how come it’s just us?” I smirked at Alex who looking straight into the kitchen, ready for food. I heard him mumble something but I couldn’t decipher what it was exactly, “Sorry what was that, I don’t speak ‘hmmphmmm’.” I said, mocking his quiet voice.

“The rest of the guys got smashed and I thought waking them would get me some sort of bruise and I’m too pretty for that,” Alex replied, his eyes still following Pam around in the kitchen. “Yes! Our milkshakes are done.”

“Sweetie! Could you come and get your drinks for me, I spilt some milk!” I chuckled as I imagined Pam being distracted by her husband who was the chef, like she usually was. Jumping out of my seat I went to retrieve the tray with three drinks on it that was on the side of the kitchen worktop. “Thank you, honey.” She stood up and put some damp kitchen towels in the bin and dusted her apron off.

Manoeuvring out of the kitchen with a tray was something that had become a second nature to me and I glided to the table with ease and set the drinks down in front of the boys. “Elle, how long have you been working here?” I ignored Jack’s question and put the tray back in the kitchen. Despite my hoping, by the time I returned it didn’t look like they were going to drop this certain subject. “Elle. How long?

“Since I dropped out of college, so like, a month, nearly two,” I mumbled and took sips of my milkshake.

Jack gave Alex a look which I couldn’t quite see and the boys sighed, “Why do you need this job?”

“W-well I have nothing else to do during the day so why- why shouldn’t I have a job?”

“Sweetie, you hate having to clean or do things for people, this is like the worst job for you ever,” Alex pointed out.

Jack sat next to me, just nodding his head. “Shut up, Asskarth,” I snapped and took a deep breath. “Just drop it.”

“It’s your parents, isn’t it?” Jack whispered and I nodded, trying so hard not to cry. “Okay, its okay, it’ll be okay.” I wasn’t sure if his words were there to comfort myself or him but they made me feel slightly better.

“Food!” Alex shouted as Pam emerged from the kitchen with a stack of pancakes on one plate, a couple of slices of French toast on another and then bacon and waffles for myself.

We ate in silence, mostly because Alex couldn’t speak as he shoved piece after piece of toast into his mouth. There was the occasional ‘these are so good’ or ‘I fucking miss this place’ moaned between chews but that was all. Alex finished his breakfast as I was starting on my last waffle and sat back with his hands on his stomach and patted it. “When are you due, Asskarth?”

“Two months, we’re having a girl,” Alex batted his lashes at me and rubbed his stomach with one hand and rested the other on Jack’s leg. “We’re very excited.” He rested his head on Jack’s arm as the other boy finished his milkshake.

“You’re such an idiot,” I laughed as we heard the ding of the bell to signal the door was opening.

“I knew we’d find you here! And you had waffles without me!” Evan bounded up to the table with Eva in tow and a few of the others behind her.

“You were the one who was sleeping whilst I was having the best waffles in Baltimore,” I shrugged, sticking the last piece of waffle in my mouth whilst keeping eye-contact with Evan.

“Ariel Catherine Dawson, you are the worst.” Tell me something I don’t know, Kirkendall.

I gave a slow nod and a small smile and out of the corner of my eye I saw Rian cringe. He thinks I’m going to do something stupid. Well, I probably am but hey, he doesn’t need to worry.

“Just order some waffles and quit your whining, Kirkendall. God, how does Eva even put up with you?” I stuck my tongue out at him and he just bounded off to the counter to order some waffles.

“Hey Eva, sorry I didn’t get to see you last night,” I stood up and let the girl have my chair after giving her a hug. I collected the plates off the table and took them back into the kitchen. “Hey I’m going now okay, Pam, but the boys are still out there.”

“I know dear, I heard Evan hollering about his damned waffles,” She sighed and laughed whilst giving me a hug.

“Okay, I’m going to go and spend some time with Baz and Pey and my parents before we hit the road again,” Alex said as I came back out and I saw him putting his jacket on. “I’ll text you later or something, bye babe.” He went to kiss my cheek put I hit him lightly on his head. “Fine, fine. Goodbye sweetie.” He kissed my cheek and waved goodbye to everyone else, but not before shouting, “You’ll always be babe though, babe!” As Alex left the diner, Matt and Bella came in.

“I blame you for this,” I shot at Vinny who was reading through the menu.

“Yeah, yeah, let’s all blame the cute one,” Vinny muttered and waved his hand over the top of the laminated paper.

“Whoever said you were the cute one was definitely lying,” Matt said as he kissed my cheek in a greeting.

Vinny pouted at him, “But you never lie, Matty.” Laughter rang out through the group and I wished I could just record every happy moment we had together so that I had something to look back on when they weren’t here.

“Hey, you ready to go?” Rian whispered and pulled me away from the group a little. Panic rose in my body and I grabbed his arm. “It’ll be fine. You don’t have to stay if you don’t want to.” He pulled me into a hug and I gripped his body.

“Thank you, Rian,” I whispered and pulled away. “Okay, we’re going to go see our parents now, see you guys later!” Everyone waved and shouted some form of farewell.

We stepped out of the diner and headed towards Rian’s car. Here we go, on our way so I can get put down by my parents yet again. I should be used to it by now anyway. It’s not like I can blame them, they just tell me the truth; I am a nuisance.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for how long this has taken me to write/post so this is longer than usual. I've had so much homework and coursework these past couple of weeks and I went to see The Maine this Wednesday so I've been kind of busy.

I don't even think I like this chapter, there are parts I like but the rest just feels kind of pointless. I know this story is slow going nothing major is happening or anything but I'm building up to that, don't lose hope, please.

Thank you to stainedglasseyes. and nathaliie for the comments, they mean a lot! :--)