The Art of Being a Hero

You Scared?

“Come on.” Jack shoves me, “Fight back Warner!”

My head jerks and I look away, refusing to fight. “No.” I try to walk past him, “Just leave me alone man.”

“Not so fast.” He pushes me up against the lockers, his forearm against my throat. Constricting my breathing. “What’s a matter? You scared Warner?”

He’s taunting me, trying to bait me. It almost worked, almost. “Nope. Just don’t feel like getting suspended.”

I was partially the truth, after all, if I got suspended I’d have nowhere to escape to and I’d be stuck with my father. I shudder at the thought. He’s still staring at me when suddenly my arm chooses to jerk up, my elbow connecting with the side of his face.

Crap.

No good can come of this. And I know I’m right when a blinding pain explodes in my jaw. Finally, Jack lets me go, dropping me to the ground with a smirk. And I would have been a lot madder about the situation had I not heard,

“Oh my god!” There’s suddenly two small hands on either side of my face, cupping it gently, “Are you alright?!”

“M’fine.” I mumble quietly, spitting some blood out of my mouth. Gross. My head jerks again and my hand spazzes but she doesn’t let go of my face.

“God Angie. Stay away from that freak.”

“Shut up Jack!” She turns around and gives him a shove, “Go somewhere. Anywhere, but here.”

Dear lord. Remind me NEVER to get on her bad side. I’m almost scared she’s going to turn her wrath on me, but then she’s facing me again and her eyes are such a captivating shade of brown that I forget what I was just thinking.

“Hey, Cole. Are you okay?”

Holy shit. Holy mother fucking shit. She knows my name. I think the world itself just came to a halt. I mean this was Angela DiAngelo, Angela! And she knew my name! “Uh, yeah, no, I’m fine.”
I straighten myself up and try to look macho. It might have worked if my head hadn’t twitched again, two hard jerks up and down. I close my eyes in embarrassment, swallowing hard before looking back at her. I’m waiting for her to say something about it, laugh maybe, mock. But nothing, she just keeps on smiling and says,

“Maybe we should go get some ice for that,” She touches the sore spot softly and then turns around, “I’ll go with you to the nurse, we’ve got next period together anyways.”

Oh my god. She notices me.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D hope you like. This chapter is short but it's kinda like the prologue. Expect more ^.^