Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 14

Brody stayed with Emily long into the night. She’d finally fallen asleep sometime after 2am. He’d enjoyed the time they spent together. He was sure Emily had really enjoyed his company as well. He’d even managed to get her promise to attend Amanda and John’s anniversary party with him. Well, not with him with him but still. She’d only eventually agreed once he told her it would stay platonic. He even allowed her to think that he understood about her allergy and said he enjoyed her company too much to ruin it.

Brody had no intention of leaving Emily unguarded at the hospital. If there was a Vulnus hanging around it must have already sensed she was his true mate. The Vulnus were more prone to kill females than males. In the beginning of the war, none of the Astanians were prepared to fight the brutal Vulnus males.

They sliced through the Astanian population like butter. The male Astanians’ in spite of their natural desire for peace learned to fight back. Some were so good at fighting back that they formed the guard. The guard is made up of elite soldiers called hunters. These hunters begin training on their 18th birthday and become the best fighters the Astanian have to offer. They seek out the Vulnus and police the Astanian that dare to defy the laws.

The Vulnus seeking an easy target then focused their attention on the females and the children. They’d been very successful over the years in eliminating female Astanian. Moreover, no females were being born to the human and Astanian mates.

In fact, in all of the known Astanian history there was never a female born outside of an Astanian and Astanian true mating. For that reason, females were treasured beyond all others, and were nearly extinct. In time, the Astanian would be based on a 100% male population just like the Vulnus they had inadvertently created.

Brody stepped out of Emily’s room and flipped the slide on his IPhone. Time to make a call to the council he thought.

“Good evening Councilor Davon, this is Boethius Mulius. I have a situation and we are going to need a hunter in Miami as soon as possible.”

“Boethius, it’s good to hear from you. What seems to be the problem?” asked Davon.

“I’ve found my true mate, she’s human and a Vulnus is already stalking her.” Brody stated.

“Very well” said Davon

“we will send a hunter immediately. Since you have been such a good friend of the family, I will also personally make sure it is our best hunter. Expect Revere to find you before sundown tomorrow. Where shall he meet you, and what name are you using these days?”

Brody gave Davon all the information he needed for the hunter to locate him then spoke for an additional half hour on the state of the Astanian nation before hanging up the phone. Once he hung up the phone he snuck back into Emily’s room and rested in the chair.