Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 18

Emily stood by the hospital window looking out over the parking lot. She kept glancing towards the door. She’s been told she could leave today, if the dang nurse ever came with her discharge papers. Brody was sitting in his customary chair also glancing between the window and the door.

Lea breezed into the hospital room just seconds behind the nurse. Turned immediately towards Brody and said

“Brody darling, I’ve spent hours HUNTING you down. Come give your little sister Lea some love and tell me why you are sitting in this pitiful excuse of a hospital.” She smiled and winked.

Brody cleared his throat, stood quickly and hugged Lea

“Lea darling, I hardly recognized you. I’m so glad you were able hunt me down. I’ve been expecting you. Please let me introduce you to the reason we are here. This absolutely gorgeous woman is Emily. The love of my life, though she’ll never believe me.”

Emily finished signing the discharge papers and stood waiting by the front door with Brody’s sister, Lea. Wesley planned on convincing Emily to allow him to go back to the condo with her. He knew Brody needed to meet with Councilor Davon and didn’t intend to allow Emily any alone time.

“Now, now. Please don’t make me sit in a stuffy car waiting for my brother to finish his boring work. I would much rather spend some time getting to know you. Sounds to me like the love bug has bitten Brody and you have no intention of returning the feelings. Please, indulge me just a bit. After all, I’m only here for a short time.” Wesley purred the words from his mouth. Each one compounding the guilt Emily was feeling.

“Of course, I would be happy to spend the afternoon with you. Besides, I have no idea what to wear for this party and you can help me pull myself together. You look like a woman that knows fashion,” Emily replied.

Brody pulled up and both women climbed into his Lexus ISC convertible. He put the top down so everyone could enjoy the light breeze that was coming off the ocean and headed towards the Condo. They arrived at the condo in less than a half hour. Both women stepped out of the vehicle.

“Emily,” purred Lea, “Why don’t you head on up. I just want to spend a minute with my brother before he heads of to the office.”

The second Emily was out of sight Lea turned towards Brody and said in a very deep, very manly voice,

“I’m Wesley, Councilor Davon sent me. I’ll take it from here. Don’t worry while you’re gone. I’ll deliver you mate safe and sound to the party tonight. Councilor Davon is waiting at your place with another hunter. He seems to think you and your mate are important enough to drag not only me out here, but another hunter as well. Not a half bad hunter either, he’s young and still in training, but he is one hell of a killer. Not that I needed back-up mind you, I’ve taken out more Vulnus on my own than the entire guard combined.”

“Thanks for the intro. I’ve heard about you and I’m really glad Davon pulled strings and got you down here,” replied Brody. Brody had heard all about Wesley, his reputation far exceeded any hunter before or since him. It was said that if Wesley was stalking prey there was no chance for escape or survival. Wesley never failed. He wasn’t boasting when he said he had more kills than any other hunter. He probably wasn’t boasting when he said he had more than the entire guard combined. Wesley was the perfect hunter. He was strong, careful, intelligent, patient and a finely tuned killing machine.

“Thanks for coming so fast, I really appreciate you keeping her safe. I’ve been a nervous wreck since I spotted the Vulnus yesterday. You being here really makes me feel so much better. Do you know where you are going tonight?”

“Yup, Davon sent me a file yesterday with all the details. No worries, I’ve got her back. Go meet Davon, he gets antsy waiting.” Brody watched as Wesley turned from the car and headed into the building then checked his mirrors, took in a deep breath of warm salty air and headed off to his place to meet with councilor Davon and the other hunter.