Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 20

The party was perfect thought Amanda. The weather couldn’t have been better. A warm balmy evening in the low 80s. The breeze was coming off the ocean giving the guest a sultry cool mist to keep their temperature down.

The sun was beginning to set and the patio lights were illuminating the beauty of her and John’s estate. They chose to have the party outdoors to provide enough room for the more than 100 expected guests to walk around and enjoy themselves.

They set up three separate bar areas and had the food stationed under and enormous tent. She’d also paid to have a floating dance floor complete with a live band to play in the side lawn area. Overall, she was very pleased with the turnout thus far.

She glanced towards John standing on the gazebo with Brody and Emily. What a handsome couple she thought. She started to wave her arms over her head to catch Johns’ attention. John glanced over and suddenly found himself smiling broadly back at his beautiful wife of five years.

Amanda was his world. The guests didn’t know but this was going to be John and Amanda’s last year together. He would be gone before this time next year.

As the group approached Amanda, he spotted a single tear slip from her eye. She too must be thinking about the short time they have left together. John was diagnosed over six months ago with stage 4 bone cancer. There was no successful treatment and John had decided to live each day he had left to Amanda.

Without treatment he’d been told he would not survive past the end of this year. Better to have quality time with Amanda than quantity time while he was confined to a bed with his dear Amanda forced to care for him. Nope, this was the better choice as far as he was concerned.

He had even convinced Amanda not to tell Brody about it since he might try to force him to seek treatment. She’d agreed only because she always agreed with John.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revere and Roxy stood by the gates to the garden. They were both scanning back and forth through the crowd. Revere while a relatively new hunter had a keen instinct when things were off and tonight something was off. He could feel it in his bones.

Revere hadn’t developed any special skills to date, but he and Roxy were just 32, so it was unlikely he would develop his special skill for several more years. Perhaps he would have foresight; with his already keen nose it would serve him well in his choice to be a hunter.

He glanced over at his sister Roxy. Roxy was drop dead gorgeous even he knew that and she was his sister. Someday when her mate found her, he would consider himself one lucky guy. She was a petite woman of just over five foot high, slender waist and a deep burgundy waste length hair. To the untrained eye she would appear so small and helpless.

Roxy was anything but helpless thought Revere. He’s seen to that. He was very pleased that he’d been able to teach his sister to fight. Oh, it had been against council orders, but Revere had insured that Roxy would never be helpless. He spent nearly as much time training her to fight as he himself had trained to fight.

She was good; Roxy had the ability to take a male or female form much like Wesley. Not all Astanian were capable of switching their sex it was a rather rare gift. Roxy always fought in male form.

She chose a body that emulated Revere’s body. Revere’s exact size and mass she even had his facial expressions down. The only difference between the two was she kept her own red hair just cropped it shorter instead of his jet black hair. In her male fighter form sometimes she even managed to get the better of Revere. She was also a fully trained hunter in her own right thought Revere, just an untested one.