Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 24

Revere smelled them before they became visible to the eye. He knew there were at least two in the maze with Brody and Emily. He screamed to his sister to notify the other and get into the safe room and took off through the maze.

He got there just as two particularly ugly ass Vulnus were dragging Emily off. He attacked the larger of the two first. The smaller slammed Emily’s limp body to the ground and began attacking Revere from the back. Revere felt him jab a knife into his lower back, it slid in smoothly and only stopped because it was to the hilt.

Revere didn’t even bat an eyelash. He kept his eyes forward while he reached behind with his left hand and pulled out the knife and in one swift movement tossed the knife at the smaller Vulnus’ eye. The knife found its mark and sunk in to the hilt. The small one went down on his knees and began screaming as he tried to pull the knife free of his eye socket.

The larger Vulnus who was carrying a sickle tried to take advantage of the small distraction and swiped at Revere’s head. Revere had no problem countering that attack. It was an expected move.

He pressed back with his left hand against the larger Vulnus’ chest used his right hand which still gripped a 7” silver bladed knife to knock the sickle from the Vulnus’ hand. Then used his left foot to kick the sickle up into the air like it was a hacky sack and snatched it with his left hand.

He then did a round house kick that ended both Vulnus’ lives. The larger Vulnus’ head dropped to the ground having been severed off by the sickle while the smaller Vulnus’ headed lobbed backwards and was profusely bleeding from the main artery in his neck. His head was hanging on by mere inches. The 7” knife had almost cleanly removed his head as easily as the sickle had removed the larger ones head.

Wesley arrived to see Revere had already finished off the two closest Vulnus. So he stopped to check on Brody lying on the ground. The wound went clean through from back to chest and was about 3 inches in diameter. Wesley could tell from the size of the hole in Brody’s chest that it would be just a matter of minutes before Brody’s natural healing kicked in and he would be on his feet again.

He looked over at Revere who was already lifting Emily into his arms and said

“I’ll grab him. Let’s get them both into the safe room. I smell at least ten more.”

“I agree, let’s get them to the safe room then hunt the rest of these bastards down” Revere replied.