Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 26

Brody was not going to hide in the safe room like a little girl. No way! The last time he’d gone up against Vulnus he’d come out on top. He’d personally slaughtered ten or more of them. It had been a long time ago but he knew he still had it in him. Brody wasn’t a trained fighter and had no hand to hand combat skills.

He also had very little stomach for violence. But just like last time Brody had a plan. He would shift into a wolf and slice through the Vulnus like butter. The wolf wasn’t squeamish like Brody, it fought on instincts it’s slashed and gashed with its fangs and claws.

Emily was still out cold when he entered the safe room. He was sorry that he wouldn’t be able to say goodbye to her just in case, but if Roxy was there she could make sure the door stayed locked. No one or nothing would be able to get in there unless Roxy let them in. He knew he could help the hunters and he owed it to Emily to try.

He saw Roxy standing just outside of the safe room and hollered to her to get in. He placed Emily down gently on the couch kissed her forehead and said

“I will be back. You don’t know it yet but I love you. Keep safe” He turned to Roxy and said

“Roxy, lock the door behind me. Stay in here and don’t come out no matter what you hear. Promise” She nodded and Brody took off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a fucking stroke of luck thought Savannah the stupid son of a bitch thought I was someone named Roxy? Fuck Yeah! One win for Savannah! Maybe Rex will leave me alone for a while and focus his attention on her. No sooner had Savannah had that thought that if was followed by another. No one deserves to have Master's attention.

I am sorry but it's you or me and I need it to not be me anymore. With that last thought in mind, Savannah hoisted Emily’s limp body into her arms and strolled out of the front door. No one paid her any attention. The hunters were all off chasing the Vulnus in a completely different direction.

The plan had gone off better than anticipated. She would be back at the lair in less than two hours and no one would know how it happened. With any luck the rest of the idiot Vulnus would keep the hunters busy for many hours to come.

Rex was right! Savannah was the perfect weapon to use against the hunters. If none of the Astanian looked at her too closely, she could pass as a human and mingle amongst the guest. Savannah was unlike all the other Vulnus. Most likely since her mother was Astanian and her father was a Vulnus.

When Savannah had been born just over thirty years ago, Rex had initially thought she was a pure Astanian and claimed her as his child. She had typical Astanian facial features. Her skin was the perfect shade of translucent blue and her eyes were identical to her mothers.

Then as Savannah aged he became angry and broody and often told her he was NOT her father. By the time she was five, her skin had begun to lose its translucent color and take on more of a human tan tone. By the time she was eight the elasticity of her skin changed, to something more like leather, upon touch a person would liken it to touching a pigs skin.

By the time she turned ten. Rex had begun to hate her with every fiber of his being. He called her names, told her she was the child of one of the foul Vulnus who skulked in the corner of the lair. He took away her room and told her to seek comfort in the arms of her people.

No… Savannah was not Astanian, and she was defiantly not human so that made her by default, Vulnus. On the up side, Savannah had never developed the scent gland that make all the other Vulnus stink. So, at least she could walk among the humans if she could ever get free from Rex. Maybe this bundle in her arms would open the opportunity up that Savannah had waited her life for. Freedom.