Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 29

Savannah noticed Emily was starting to move around in the back seat. Crap she thought she’s coming around. She pulled the car over to the side of the road and pulled the chloroform from her purse. Soaked the hanky and pressed it to Emily’s face. That should keep her out she thought.

Savannah got back in the driver’s seat and drove on to the destination she was going to leave the car. From there she would need to move Emily to an air boat so she could move through the marsh and get to their lair located on a small hardwood hammock deep inside the Everglades.

She pulled off to the side of the road and put the car in park. She scanned the area to make sure no one had seen her pull off. This section of Alligator Alley had a relatively dense Mangrove forest seeing no cars on either side of the highway she nudged the car back in drive and pulled off the roadway, slipping between trees and seemingly disappearing from sight.

She drove the car into the forest just under a quarter of a mile and came to a complete stop. The Cypress was thinning out and saw grass marsh was taking over. She watched as an alligator slipped off the Cypress and slide into the marsh its head still aimed towards the car as it finally submerged itself under the water.

From here, she would need to hike through the swamp for another quarter of a mile before arriving at the air boat. She would need to carry Emily on her shoulders the entire length. She couldn’t risk Emily becoming Gator bait. Not at least until Rex decided that was her fate.

Savannah sighed and placed the car in park. It was hot out, and this hike wasn’t going to be easy. She opened the truck and pulled out a duffel bag containing a change of clothes. There was no way she could make the hike carrying Emily while wearing a dress a high heals.

She changed quickly into jeans, t-shirt and her muck boots. Savannah was grateful it was dry season though. During the wet season, she wouldn’t have been able to bring the car in this far.

She opened up the back door and took a look at Emily. She was going to need to change her clothes as well. She had too much exposed skin, and they were coated in blood. She’d rather no have to dodge hungry Gators all the way there.

Slade had done his homework, and had already packed a pair of Emily’s jeans and a T-Shirt from her condo. Savannah pulled them out and got to work dressing a very unconscious, very limp Emily.

It took her a little longer than expected, the sun had completed gone down and the moon was providing little to no light. The trek through the swamp was going to be very dangerous.

Fuck me! This is going to be near impossible getting this dead weight to the airboat. Bitch weighs more than she looks. With that thought she hefted Emily onto her left shoulder and set off towards the airboat.

What should have taken no more than thirty minutes took closer to an hour. Savannah had to stop every so often to shift Emily’s body back into position and or switch shoulders. She continued to slip down every time Savannah navigated around patches of cypress, sunk into the bog or had to climb through higher levels of saw grass.

Twice, she had to set her down on a peat patch while she shooed off a particularly aggressive Gator. Savannah suspected the blood that had soaked Emily’s clothes had also left residual scent on her flesh. It was mild enough that Savannah couldn’t smell it, but clearly the Gators did.

Finally arriving at the air boat Savannah found herself exhausted. She glanced down at Emily and noticed she was showing signs of waking again. Dammit, Savannah had left the chloroform in the car. If she wakes up, I’m going to have to knock her out with my fists she thought.

Emily chose that very moment to open her eyes and release a terrifying scream from her throat that could wake the dead. Birds fluttered into the air, gators lifted their bodies to the top of the water there eyes moving around looking for an easy meal, some even bumped into the side of the airboat. Savannah hesitated only a second then punched Emily in the jaw and watched her slump back down to the bottom of the boat.

The air ride was thankfully uneventful and Savannah managed to arrive at the lair without any additional difficulties. She swung the air boat around and parked it deep in a tall saw grass patch.

Looking up she spotted Rex walking towards the air boat.

“Did you get her?” he asked

“Yes, it was as easy as you planned. She’s in the boat.”